Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

New to forum, you guys are great! You have answered many a question or concern about my new pilot. Thanks.

My problem.. I have a metal frame and plastic cover over my rear license plate. Every time I close the hatch it rattles. I know its a stupid little problem but for some reason bugs the heck out of me. I hate that there are only two bolts instead of four to hold the plate on.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
449 Posts
Some have put 3M bumpons on the hatch underneath the plate to stop the rattle. Don't put bumpons on the plate or they possibly might rub the paint off the hatch.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Twinkie said:
Some have put 3M bumpons on the hatch underneath the plate to stop the rattle. Don't put bumpons on the plate or they possibly might rub the paint off the hatch.
YEs...works like a charm...;)

·
Registered
920 Posts
ramirami said:

YEs...works like a charm...;)
The amount, or lack there of, movement by the plate will not cause your paint to rub, even if you put the bumpon on the plate itself...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Inspector Pilot said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

My problem.. I have a metal frame and plastic cover over my rear license plate.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Inspector Pilot: Welcome to honda-pilot.org!!! If/when they are available, don't forget to purchase your honda-pilot.org license plate frame!!! (Shameless reminder for admin if he's reading this...) :p ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just use some double sided tapes and they do just fine. I asked for 3M bumpons at the autopart and the clerk suggested I shouldn't waste my money, just use the double sided tapes will do just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my metal frame with a black plastic frame with 2 top screw holes and lower lip to hold the bottom of the license, which didn't rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reply to Posts

Just able to get back online.

Thanks Guys as always great answers.

I wonder if the 3M two sided tape would stick to the 2 rubber spacers already attached to hatch? Then I could go with a frame that clips to bottom of plate, possibly stopping rattle.

I may try this this weekend.

Thanks ,

Terry

P.S. My wife thinks I'am nuts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Reply to Posts

Inspector Pilot said:

P.S. My wife thinks I'am nuts.
You'll fit right in, here! My other 1/2 knows I'm crazy! ;) I carded a Pilot a while back at school, then the owner later asked me if I'd carded it. She later confessed that her partner felt the same way mine did - thought the Pilot was just a car. Seems to be a pattern - one of the couple knows the TRUE MEANING of a Pilot (and hangs out on this web site) and the other one just likes the Pilot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
plate cover?

(Soon to be Pilot owner... put deposit down this weekend, car will arrive soon.)

The foam pads work well. I have frames from my alma mater on both cars, and the pads have taken all vibration out.

And I don't mean to be contentious in my first post, but are you sure you want the plate cover on there? I know around here (WI), those make plates illegible for the 5-6 months it snows, because salt gets on them... starting 5 seconds after you wash the car. And even in summer, the covers tend to yellow and get hazy. If I were king, they'd be illegal because you simply can't read the plates underneath.

If you can keep those covers as clear as the day you bought them, God bless you. You'll be more conscientious than 99.999% of the others that use 'em.

Someone give me a hand getting off this soapbox.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This may have been more accurately placed on the detailing board, but...here's the product that will keep your license plate cover as clear as the day you bought it.

I have used Plexus for some time now, on lots of different plastics. It does an amazing job on the lenses of my glasses. Keeps the headlights and taillights clean, clear, and polished, and I am convinced it makes it easier to remove bugs from the headlights. Keeps the speedometer cover sparkling. Keeps MY plate cover clear and polished. The best part, is all I do is spray some onto a towel and wipe the surface I am trying to clean.

Go to a local motorcycle dealer and they will most likely have some in stock, it's great for the face shields on motorcycle helmets.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Have I got a deal for you.....

Check out my post in Accessories for a set of free foam pads for the Pilot center console. I will throw in a set of bumpons too similar to the ones shown. My license plate was rattling too when I shut the tailgate. I put the bumpons right behind the license plate at the corners. Rattle is gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Here is a picture of the 3M bumpons on the back of my license plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Caution!!!

wwong said:
Here is a picture of the 3M bumpons on the back of my license plate.
:eek:
The bumpons go on the car, not the plate.
If it continues to vibrate the bumpon WILL wear a mark in the paint!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Speaking of which....where r our Honda Pilot.Org plate holders?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: Caution!!!

N_Jay said:
The bumpons go on the car, not the plate.
If it continues to vibrate the bumpon WILL wear a mark in the paint!
I've had them on my plate for 11 months now, no change in paint.

·
Registered
144 Posts
gotta try that..sounds easy enough..

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Caution!!!

Len said:

I've had them on my plate for 11 months now, no change in paint.
Guess it is not vibrating, but if it is you will have a mark.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts