Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up... while using the rear jacking point (below differential) to jack up my 2019 Pilot Elite, the jacking point failed, and dropped the car. Needless to say, this is dangerous! I can't tell if the jacking point metal itself tore/collapsed, or the weld failed. I am going to notify Honda, since this is a serious safety issue, and I am hoping they will fix it (out of warranty).

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I wasn't aware that there was a jacking point there. I thought they were on the sides or under the lower control arms at each wheel. Some unibody parts are really flimsy so you do have to be careful where you put the jack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you can see in the attached (Pg. 2, "B"), this is the rear jack point you use with a floor jack, to raise the rear of the vehicle, to place it on jack stands... I put the jack where Honda told me to.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Heads up... while using the rear jacking point (below differential) to jack up my 2019 Pilot Elite, the jacking point failed, and dropped the car. Needless to say, this is dangerous! I can't tell if the jacking point metal itself tore/collapsed, or the weld failed. I am going to notify Honda, since this is a serious safety issue, and I am hoping they will fix it (out of warranty). View attachment 137006
This not an accusation..., Did you have any additional weight in the back?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This not an accusation..., Did you have any additional weight in the back?
No, completely empty. I was getting ready to rotate my tires, as I have done in the past, and was jacking up high enough to place on jack stands. Waiting to see how Honda responds, as I have 62,000 miles, and am out of warranty.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wasn't aware that there was a jacking point there. I thought they were on the sides or under the lower control arms at each wheel. Some unibody parts are really flimsy so you do have to be careful where you put the jack.
There is also a similar jacking point at the front of the vehicle right before the engine in the center of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Heads up... while using the rear jacking point (below differential) to jack up my 2019 Pilot Elite, the jacking point failed, and dropped the car. Needless to say, this is dangerous! I can't tell if the jacking point metal itself tore/collapsed, or the weld failed. I am going to notify Honda, since this is a serious safety issue, and I am hoping they will fix it (out of warranty). View attachment 137006
Do keep us informed of what happens, this is of interest to anyone that is a Honda owner. It's one of the weak points of unibody construction over body on frame construction.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hopefully, just a one-off. Disastrous if this is a model wide issue.

After many, many years of owning Honda, I decided to move on. Anecdotally, and based on my own experiences, I've noticed a declining trend in quality.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hopefully, just a one-off. Disastrous if this is a model wide issue.

After many, many years of owning Honda, I decided to move on. Anecdotally, and based on my own experiences, I've noticed a declining trend in quality.
I agree with you 100%, I started driving Honda since I was 16, I am now 48, Honda used to be reliable and warranty was never a issue on all the prior Honda I have owned. I bought my 2017 Pilot since new, I had gone to dealer 3X for varies of issues in the 1st year and had to be towed in once. I seriously felt that this car is cheaply made-both materiel and workmanship. I am sure this is the last Honda I will own....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with you 100%, I started driving Honda since I was 16, I am now 48, Honda used to be reliable and warranty was never a issue on all the prior Honda I have owned. I bought my 2017 Pilot since new, I had gone to dealer 3X for varies of issues in the 1st year and had to be towed in once. I seriously felt that this car is cheaply made-both materiel and workmanship. I am sure this is the last Honda I will own....
I hear you.

I meticulously maintained my Honda vehicles, almost obsessively I might add, but the constant visits to my dealer for the many issues I had on my last one tainted my experience completely. Fyi, I drive all my vehicles with a light touch and never in an abusive manner.

I was literally pouring $2-3k annually into my 2010 Honda Odyssey in it's last 5 years of ownership on motorized door latches, multiple A/C system failures, engine misfiring due to poorly conceived VCM, suspension components, water in my taillights, poor brake servicing, stabilizer bar links, etc., betc. Not to mention poor alignment issues on dashboard and seat trim pieces which the dealer said was normal and within tolerance. Oh, did I say I had a 7yr, 160000km extended warranty? Surprising, how little it really covers.

That thing was a money pit.

I'm now driving the new Highlander and the fit and finish is head and shoulders above the current generation Pilot. The alignment of body panels and trim is perfect and materials used screams quality.

I was a Honda fanboy who was willing to overlook some of its shortcomings but the quality issues and service experience soured me on the brand. I don't understand what their business model is but the path they've chosen is wrong and now they've alienated a former hard core Honda loyalist. Never again. Thank goodness there exist one car manufacturer (Toyota) that still holds quality as a priority in their core mission.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I've owned cars and trucks from various manufacturers over my life time. The one thing I have learned is that dealership service departments are in business to make money. They will talk you into things you don't need. I don't trust any of them.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Well perhaps that says something about where they are made and who is putting them together.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Almost one month since this was first posted. Any word from Honda as to what if anything they are going to do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This was their reply to my notification of a safety defect (2 weeks later):

"Thank you for contacting Honda Automobile Customer Service. We're deeply sorry for the delay in our response and to hear about this experience.

The Service Department at a Honda dealership would be in the best position to evaluate your vehicle as we rely on their diagnosis to determine of any defects. If further assistance is required after your vehicle has been evaluated by a Honda dealership, don't hesitate to reach back out to us. In the meantime, we can only document a formal complaint on your behalf until the vehicle has been evaluated by a Honda dealership. You're able to locate local authorized Honda dealerships via this link https://automobiles.honda.com/tools/dealership-locator .

We welcome you to contact us with any additional comments or questions.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service"

...seems like an unconcerned form letter to me. I am hesitant to take to the dealer, as I am out of warranty, and don't want to get stuck with a bill for notifying them of a safety defect.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts

"Thank you for contacting Honda Automobile Customer Service. We're deeply sorry for the delay in our response and to hear about this experience.

The Service Department at a Honda dealership would be in the best position to evaluate your vehicle as we rely on their diagnosis to determine of any defects. If further assistance is required after your vehicle has been evaluated by a Honda dealership, don't hesitate to reach back out to us. In the meantime, we can only document a formal complaint on your behalf until the vehicle has been evaluated by a Honda dealership. You're able to locate local authorized Honda dealerships via this link https://automobiles.honda.com/tools/dealership-locator .

Kind regards,

...seems like an unconcerned form letter to me. I am hesitant to take to the dealer, as I am out of warranty, and don't want to get stuck with a bill for notifying them of a safety defect.
Well since you're out of warranty Honda has no reason to repair it other than out of good will. I would assume you'd want to take your chances that they may cover it. Not sure how else you would want them to respond. They know nothing other than what you told them so their response was "Go to the dealership and have them evaluate it". Then, depending on how the dealership responds you can reach out to them again.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have the same issue and I have HondaCare for 8/120 but I still don't think it is going to be covered. I think they're going to tell me I jacked it up improperly which I don't see how that is possible but I'll report back afterwards. I'm not scheduled to go in for a few weeks so....

Either way I still just use the crossbar back there (same spot). I'm not even sure if it was covered how it would be fixed.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Kind regards,

I have the same issue and I have HondaCare for 8/120 but I still don't think it is going to be covered. I think they're going to tell me I jacked it up improperly which I don't see how that is possible but I'll report back afterwards. I'm not scheduled to go in for a few weeks so....

Either way I still just use the crossbar back there (same spot). I'm not even sure if it was covered how it would be fixed.
I feel for you guys. This is NOT a warranty item. It is a structural defect which needs to be addressed by Honda. It's so blatantly obvious that it's laughable. I would be seriously pissed if they tried to pass this off as a "wear" item.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts