Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L and 2019 Chev Corvette 2LT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car to the dealer because the rear A/C fan was inop. They diagnosed it and said the fan motor was bad and said it would be $800+ to fix it. I called BS and left. Bought a new fan for $143 and installed it in maybe 20 minutes, very easy. Still didn't work. Ordered a new transistor for it and now waiting for it to be delivered. So I guess the dealer didn't diagnose it properly or the fan AND the resistor were bad, not very likely. If the resistor solves the issue I many put the old fan back in and return the new one I just bought. The only reason I did the fan first was because of the dealer diagnosis. Would have loved to do it in reverser order. Live and learn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And man oh man what that screen clogged up too. Wow

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Yeah, I was going to mention clean the filter screen after seeing your initial post. That’s likely the reason the transistor module died, due to lack of airflow across its cooling fins.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
And welcome to the forum. Glad you’re fixing it yourself instead of having the dealer perform the work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much. I would bet you're correct about the module. I'll follow up when I get it and install it

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
So I guess the dealer didn't diagnose it properly or the fan AND the resistor were bad, not very likely.
It's quite simple, they lied.
They quoted you worse case scenario and never really checked anything.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
I find it disappointing that the Owner's Manual doesn't mention vacuuming the rear blower screen as a maintenance item. It's not that hard and pretty much just involves pulling a clipped panel by hand. I'd have it listed at the same interval as changing out the cabin air filter.

But that would mean less money for crooked dealerships, if you'll pardon the pleonasm.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
I find it disappointing that the Owner's Manual doesn't mention vacuuming the rear blower screen as a maintenance item. It's not that hard and pretty much just involves pulling a clipped panel by hand. I'd have it listed at the same interval as changing out the cabin air filter.

But that would mean less money for crooked dealerships, if you'll pardon the pleonasm.

View attachment 135613

View attachment 135614
I've been thinking about this on and off. Mine is starting to blow less air out and now I know what to go do before it breaks.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I've been thinking about this on and off. Mine is starting to blow less air out and now I know what to go do before it breaks.
So first just start pulling out by hand that clipped-in console panel by your right foot, starting up near the gas pedal and working your way back toward the driver's seat, which you should slide all the way back for better access, and then vacuum the blower motor screen. If it's never been done, it might really need it.

Hey, why not post before and after photos?

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
So first just start pulling out by hand that clipped-in console panel by your right foot, starting up near the gas pedal and working your way back toward the driver's seat, which you should slide all the way back for better access, and then vacuum the blower motor screen. If it's never been done, it might really need it.

Hey, why not post before and after photos?
I will definitely post before and after photos for y'all. I'll hop on it this weekend.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
It's a great feeling, isn't it? (y)

Mine still works fine, but I actually bought a spare transistor (they're not that expensive anymore) which I have on standby for if the time ever comes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a great feeling, isn't it? (y)

Mine still works fine, but I actually bought a spare transistor (they're not that expensive anymore) which I have on standby for if the time ever comes.
Not a bad idea. I think I’ll just keep the fan as a spare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took my car to the dealer because the rear A/C fan was inop. They diagnosed it and said the fan motor was bad and said it would be $800+ to fix it. I called BS and left. Bought a new fan for $143 and installed it in maybe 20 minutes, very easy. Still didn't work. Ordered a new transistor for it and now waiting for it to be delivered. So I guess the dealer didn't diagnose it properly or the fan AND the resistor were bad, not very likely. If the resistor solves the issue I many put the old fan back in and return the new one I just bought. The only reason I did the fan first was because of the dealer diagnosis. Would have loved to do it in reverser order. Live and learn.
I replaced my relay about a year ago and all good. I noticed again no air and it seems to be in the harness plugging into the relay. I can squeeze/ move around wires and get fan to come on. Ideas before I start unraveling harness tape? Thx

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I replaced my relay about a year ago and all good. I noticed again no air and it seems to be in the harness plugging into the relay. I can squeeze/ move around wires and get fan to come on. Ideas before I start unraveling harness tape? Thx
Wires in the conector could be corroded. Try spraying CRC Electronic Cleaner into the conector, let dry thoroughly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like putting Dielectric grease of on electrical connections also. Glad you found the issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an UPDATE! Got the transistor today, installed it and with the now clean screen the rear fan blows force 10 air! I'm a happy Piloteer. :D Thanks to everybody for all your help with this
Can you link to the transistor you got? I have the same issue. Bought a cheap one on amazon and it didn't fix the issue. Not sure if I got a bad transistor or have another problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts