Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get access to the bottom 2 bolts on the rear engine mount, and there is this rubber tube that's right below the bolt that goes into the transfer case of my 06' pilot, what wrench did you use to gain access to this 1 bolt above that tube?

Car is on a lift, so it's not that type of access problem, no wrench I have fits on it because it's so tight.

I didn't take out the exhaust or anything, as I'm not sure that's going to really help.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
There are offset wrenches and there are deep offset wrenches. Maybe the latter would do the trick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For those of you tackling this job, you'll need to drop the exhaust, which means you'll need to take loose the 6 bolts (3 on each of 2 parts of the Y pipe), plus the cross plate to give the exhaust room to drop, plus the front exhaust mount that's held on with 2 bolts. The exhaust will hang from the rear hanger and you can sway it out of the way. I took these bolts off with a battery powered impact, by hand they may be seized on there. This will give you enough room to get a ratchet with a swivel head on it. The main bolt you have to get from the drivers side wheel well with a long line of 1/2" extensions and a 1/2" swivel head and small 17mm socket (not deep well). All other bolts are 14mm. Once I knew to drop the exhaust, it's not too bad, but I am working on a lift, which I would highly recommend if possible, it's going to be tough to do this job on the ground or from above.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
235k miles, these mount was shot and clunking on acceleration and rough roads. Ordering an oem one to match the front and passenger side that have been replaced.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used all oem mounts. I don’t trust aftermarket to hold an engine in place. To get the mount back in, with the car in the lift to make it easiest, work from the bottom, get the mount holes lined up in the place where you could get the bolts back in. Since the engine should have been jacked up and left there when you took the bolt out, getting the bolt back in should be simple. Set the mount in place, and then start the longest bottom rear screw in the back and finger tighten the 2 other smaller bolts that go into underneath into the mount.

Put some wd40 on the main thru bolt and point the bolt upwards into the engine bay and then feel for where it goes into the hole. Get it started with your fingers from underneath. Using the same long extension setup you used before, start screwing the bolt in from the drivers side wheel well. It should slide right in once you start wrenching on it. Once the main bolt is in, put all of the other bolts further in and tighten all evenly. Putting it back in took me about 30 minutes. Getting the bolt into the hole was the hardest part since you’re going to battle with a power steering hose a little and it’s hard to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts