Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to 2012 Honda Pilot. I replaced my rear differential oil and i might have add a little water into it. Will that affect the differential in any way? Should i drain and fill it again?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Time to drain and fill again...

The only place in a car where water is acceptable is in the coolant, and even then it should be replaced quickly. Water will alter the lubricating performance of your oils and should be removed ASAP.

I know it's inconvenient to do, but why risk it?

·
Registered
645 Posts
These rear diffs can moan & groan if the fluid's contaminated. Change it out using a new fluid pump and keep the work area clean.

How did water get in anyway?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Change it. You should be able to re-use the fluid after you let water sink to the bottom. You never know where that 1 ml would end up and what would rust. Even though everything should be well lubricated by the fluid, you do not want to take a risk of not having AWD when you need it most.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In regards to 2012 Honda Pilot. I replaced my rear differential oil and i might have add a little water into it. Will that affect the differential in any way? Should i drain and fill it again?
I. Have to ask how is it possible that you put water in a differential? And by the way it's not acceptable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It could make your diff oil foam up........bubbles are not good for lubrication. Let us know what it looks like when you drain it, I am guessing milky looking.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just a reminder that this is one CC of water, one ml, one gram. It's the residue left in the funnel after it was washed but not dried. It will evaporate when the fluid gets past about 150ºF.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It has nowhere to evaporate to, as the rear diff case is airtight sealed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts