Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the dealer changed my differential fluid, I now have a shudder coming from the axle.

only at slow speeds, noticable mostly on a left or right turn, and especially at parking lot speeds.

It also is apparent with VTM-4 button pressed, and in 1st or second gear.

However - if I really kick it down, it powers up to 30 mph with no shudder.

I took it to my dealer and they are looking at it.

anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
423 Posts
smitman said:
After the dealer changed my differential fluid, I now have a shudder coming from the axle.

only at slow speeds, noticable mostly on a left or right turn, and especially at parking lot speeds.

It also is apparent with VTM-4 button pressed, and in 1st or second gear.

However - if I really kick it down, it powers up to 30 mph with no shudder.

I took it to my dealer and they are looking at it.

anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
VTM-4

With the button in on dry surfaces you will, and should feel some slipping (shudder) from the rear when you turn.
Remember, VTM-4 Lock will lock the rear solid up to 18MPH in 1st and second gears.

Not sure why you would feel it in normal opperation (VTM-4 Unlocked, or in "D3" or "D")

Check you tire pressure, as uneven tire diameter can cause the VTM-4 to lock more than needed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
No problems after the dealer changed the differential fluid in our Pilot. Even did it a little early, 12500 miles. Everything stayed the same.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I guess your quote was too long for my reply, so here it is...

How many miles do you have on your Pilot and how many mailes were on it when you had the change?

I was told by Honda Service Mgr not to change until 15000 miles. Now I'm wondering.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
about 8000

4603pba said:
I guess your quote was too long for my reply, so here it is...

How many miles do you have on your Pilot and how many mailes were on it when you had the change?

I was told by Honda Service Mgr not to change until 15000 miles. Now I'm wondering.
About 8000

It was more than the 7500 severe, and less than the 15000 standard schedule.

I was getting ready for a 2000 mile trip. :2:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm waiting till 15k to do mine...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Birdman said:
My dealer said for sure to change the fluid every 7500K miles, severe or not. Are they just padding the bill?
Sounds like it, Birdman. I thought about having mine changed at 7500mi but the service manager actually said I did not need it...although he did try to push a $90-7500mi service full of "visual inspections!" :eek:
I opted to get an oil change and tire rotation instead, for $30.:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shudder is worse

now it has added a distinct whine - when really pushed. and it is mostly a left turn. Taking it back to dealer tomorrow for meeting with a regional rep. Anyone else with differential problems.

this is not normal, as it only begain in the last 3k since the differential change. I now have 23,000kms.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shudder

dealer is now planning to replace it. differential is on order!

I'm :) about the dealer service and their decision
I'm :mad: about honda quality.

I figured the same axle must have had the bugs worked out in the MDX. Guess I was wrong!

We will see how long it takes to get it in, and how long it takes to do the switch. And, whether or not I get a loaner or rental.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: shudder

smitman said:
. . . . . . .
. . . .. . . . .
Hmm, so far you are the only one with this problem, on the board, could it just be a failure, and not a "quallity" issue?

Mechanical things break!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
honda quality

sounds like my ford experience -
"its not a quality problem, its just broke"

I did not expect this of a honda, however I can appreciate the fact that this might be a "one of" case. Hopefully the new differential will be fine, and I will just blame Borg-Warner(the diff. manufacturer) for the faulty one.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
smitman said:
. . . ..
SInce it was after a fluid change, any chance it was "Mechanic Induced"?

Maybe put in a load of regular gear oil, or double pump oil?

Might have been the fist VTM fluid change he did.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fluid

If it worked perfectly until fluid change I would have liked to have been there when they unscrewed the drain plug and nothing drained.
It was empty or the wrong fluid...OOOPS

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
There have been VERY FEW problems w/the rear diff in the X's. Curious that your problems coincide w/your VTM fluid change. Wrong fluid, not enough fluid? Could be just a coincidence.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the new one. Hell, even BPilot disassembled then reassembled his own. It's a relatively easy installation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fluid

Doubt the dealer would own up to the mistake. I do imagine my SS-L was one of the first they changed, since I bought it June 3. Its also from an early production run #361. Anyway, i'll update you after they switch the diff.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: shudder

smitman said:
dealer is now planning to replace it. differential is on order!

I'm :) about the dealer service and their decision

I figured the same axle must have had the bugs worked out in the MDX. Guess I was wrong!

We will see how long it takes to get it in, and how long it takes to do the switch. And, whether or not I get a loaner or rental.
Is there a slight chance that they didn't properly refill it? Maybe they didn't refill with enough fluid? Or the incorrect fluid?

Of course, you'll never know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Differential fine -> differential serviced -> different malfunctions

Seems like a cause and effect relationship to me.

smitman, did the Service Shop check the fluid level when you went back in or did they just write up the differential for a replacement?

I wonder if there might be something in the VTM electronics which isn't working right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re vtm-4

Im pretty sure its not electronic, as it only happens on a left turn and at a certain torque level.

Heres what happened in order...

1. Went in for differential service at 20,000KM
2. shudder began immediately
3. Returned car for checkout within a couple days
4. They replaced the fluid again, and declared the problem fixed
5. It has steadily go worse since then
6. The regional service mgr was onsite and test drove the car
7. He told the dealers service mgr to order the new diff, since it will cost them a lot of labor to rip apart the axle, hoping to find the problem, and possibly making it worse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts