Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the part number for the VTM-4 rear differential fluid?
Thanks

Have gotten prices of $35-$129 for this service

·
Registered
385 Posts
08200-9003 lists for $21.38/gallon
need 2 new washers as well (they're different from each other)

there's another thread on this (if you want to do a "search"). This is a really simple job- easier than a regular engine oil change.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I was quoted $85 to do the service. While I follow the severe schedule for everything else, the dealer actually told me to wait and do the first VTM-4 service using the normal schedule- 15,000 miles, then 30,000 and every 30,000 thereafter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
davemac...

I can't find the thread about the rear-differential service you've posted... You had a step by step instruction how to do it... Did they get rid of the thread? If you know where it is, let me know. It used to be several pages long...

Anyway, my dealer wants $45 for the service, which is very reasonable, but I bought the gallon of oil anyway.
They parts guy (I think he is little green) gave me same size crush washer and I told him that I think they should be different size, and he told me just bring it back if it doesn't fit (eyeball rolling...).

What, in the middle of the service, I am gonna get in my wife's car and bring him the washer I took out from the car?

But that was the best he can do...

Maybe if you gave me specific size of the crush washer, it would've helped... Thanks anyway thought, your posts are very informative and helpful.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here you go http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1023&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

My experience with the fluid change begins on page 3.
Yes, you probably want to have the correct washers at the beginning of the job (for obvious reasons). I had to re-use one (they're very similar to the washers on the engine oil plug), and plan to replace when changing the VTM4 fluid at the 30k mile interval... no leaks.

BTW, Dan, thanks for the compliment on the quality of my posts. Glad to share my technical/general experiences with my Pilot over the last year (one year Pilot anniversary in a couple weeks). Nice to know I don't need to attach off topic comic strips to be appreciated;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
thanks

It turns out my webpage only displays 30 days worth of thread. Once I looked at your thread, I figured it out, duh...

BTW, are you gonna do your own brakes? Did you replace the pads yet? If you have done it already, you might want to post on the brake job? thread...

Thanks again

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
From another thread...

davemac said:
Nighthawk,

Well said, (and also meaning no disrespect to others) I share your sentiment whole heartedly. Unfortunately there is no way one can elect to filter out the "Off Topic"/ threaddrift stuff. Luckily though, there still is the "search" feature should we need to check back to tap the knowledge base.

[ S N I P P E D ]

From this thread...

davemac said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

BTW, Dan, thanks for the compliment on the quality of my posts. Glad to share my technical/general experiences with my Pilot over the last year (one year Pilot anniversary in a couple weeks). Nice to know I don't need to attach off topic comic strips to be appreciated;)
Interesting (and recurring) theme by davemac...

(I had a funny comic strip to share here...)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
kemosabe said:
From another thread...

From this thread...

Interesting (and recurring) theme by davemac...

(I had a funny comic strip to share here...)
there are wise guys everywhere.....dont worry...

hey how about that comic strip ;) :D :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
VTM fluid replaced

Did mine yesterday.
Easy job to DIY. The fluid was thinner than I expected... I expected a thick gear oil...

Had some metal shavings on the plug (not that much...), and had a little trouble getting it all off of it. It kept sticking to it.

For some reason, my pump didn't fit on the gallon jug opening... It was too big... It got little messy. It ended up using about 2.75 quarts of it.

The top bolt is bigger and the two crush washer they sold me didn't fit the top bolt, so I had to re-use the crush washer. I did flip it, hope it doesn't develop a leak. I will keep an eye on it, so far it hasn't...

You would think the dealer would know the correct size of the crush washer...

·
Registered
263 Posts
crush washers

The fill plug washer is 20mm, and the drain plug washer is 18mm, while the engine oil drain plug washer is 14mm.

·
Registered
226 Posts
useful

thanks HOP23

It would've been very useful to know when I was at the dealer ordering these things. The guy at the part counter was clueless... and didn't care...

I now know, and I will make a note of it for next purchase.

Also for the fluid pump, I bought it from Autozone, it says it will fit most gallon jub cap, but it was too big for the honda fluid jug... Oh, well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts