Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm new to this forum. Just had a question regarding the rear diff.
I'm going to be doing some maintenance on my friends '06 pilot. It has almost 200,000 miles and she's NEVER changed the rear diff fluid. I know, yikes...
If i drain/fill it twice, will it cause it to fail faster since the fluid is still the factory fluid?
Or has any of you drove it around that long with the original fluid? Wasn't sure if i should just leave it alone or drain/fill twice. I'm planning on doing the trans 3x drain and fill as well. She's had it drained/filled a few times.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not at all, but I would be shocked if it wasn’t changed at less one or twice. I’m also assuming you are not getting any rear ended whining noice. When you change the rear diff fluid, you get most of the old fluid out. I would change the fluid once and drive 5 to 10k and change it again if it makes you feel better. I would just make sure you use OEM VTM-4 Fluid. If you get a chance , take a photo of the color of the old fluid when it’s draining.( it’s normally red) The drain plug has a magnet on the end, get a photo of that too . It will be interesting to see how much metal shavings are on it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
I'm going to be doing some maintenance on my friends '06 pilot. It has almost 200,000 miles and she's NEVER changed the rear diff fluid.
I'm planning on doing the trans 3x drain and fill as well. She's had it drained/filled a few times.
There is also a transfer case next to the transmission that needs periodic fluid changes with 80W-90 gear oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is also a transfer case next to the transmission that needs periodic fluid changes with 80W-90 gear oil.
yep, gonna do that as well. I have an 09' Acura Tl SH-AWD. i always do the transfer case with the rear diff fluid change on my car. I'm just shocked she allegedly never changed either rear diff or transfer case.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
The transfer case drain bolt is right next to the catalytic converter, if that helps find it.

(A picture is worth a thousand swear words, sometimes. :))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the replies! I'll definitely post a few pics of how dirty the oil is. I'm also doing her timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve adjustment and A/C compressor since its making a noise. TB/WP HAS NEVER BEEN CHANGED EITHER! I told her she's lucky the timing belt hasn't snapped. These are interference engines so it would've definitely bent a few valves if the belt broke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts