Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the rear differential fluid changed on my Pilot EXL AWD with Sensing a couple days ago and was surprised at the cost.......over $300 at the Honda dealer. Now they did use BG products which are generally more expensive, and it was done at the dealer, but this still seemed quite steep. Has anybody here changed the rear differential fluid themselves? If so, is there anything to it? I'm not in love with changing my own oil and fluids, but I have done it in the past. I generally find the cleanup and disposal aspect to make the process more trouble than it is worth, but thats just me. For $300 per change, however, I think it would be worth my while. Thanks in advance your input!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What year/mileage on your Pilot? If 2016 and this seems too early for that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year/mileage on your Pilot? If 2016 and this seems too early for that.
Yes it would..........but I got my Pilot in July, 2015 and our family took two long trips shortly there after. Michigan to Virginia and back, then Michigan to Florida and back, plus daily driving and numerous shorter (400 mile) trips. We basically did a years worth of driving this summer. We hit the milage marks pretty quick unfortunately and the maintenance minder and maintenance schedule both called for the change. I'm hoping to get at least 8 years out of this vehicle, so I'm not trying to skimp on the maintenance, but would like to do it cheaper if possible.

·
Registered
377 Posts
About how many miles on it? I'm asking as I'm betting mine is going to be due soon running just around 10K miles or so.

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
I applaud your willingness to be pro-active and take good care of your vehicle.

My Pilot has about 5K miles (one oil change so far) on it and I'm doing a 3K road trip next month.

I plan on having a full-inspection w/any recommended service done on the vehicle before & after our trip.

I have always maintained my toys (I've got a 23-year old snow blower still doing it's job - for the winterless upstate NY) and generally they serve me well.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
$300 seems awfully steep even at the stealership. Next time they discuss prices make sure you ask them for the customer appreciation discount and they will most likely give you 15% off. Just have to ask.

Can you post a copy of the receipt obviously take your name off of it and address etc. I'm wondering what the service was called what part numbers were required

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I just had the rear differential fluid changed on my Pilot EXL AWD with Sensing a couple days ago and was surprised at the cost.......over $300 at the Honda dealer. Now they did use BG products which are generally more expensive, and it was done at the dealer, but this still seemed quite steep.
As an example, if you look at the prices here:
Express Car Service near Hamilton, Princeton & East Windsor, NJ .
Under "Maintenance Sub Codes", a code #6 for the "Replace rear differential fluid" service costs $85.
The prices listed there should give you a ballpark figure for what various maintenance items ought to cost.
Also, check the prices at any other dealers in you area. Some have special discount coupons available on their websites.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
The rear diff fluid change isn't hard. It just takes a socket wrench with an extension, a clean ( preferably dedicated ) fluid pump, and about 3 quarts of the special fluid that is similar to ATF. I'm not sure if that fluid is different from the VTM-4 vehicles I have done in the past. You probably need to drop the spare tire to get access. I've been doing it on my small fleet of VTM-4 vehicles for years. I tend to be proactive about it because they get lots of use in snow and I used to tow a pretty hefty boat and/or road trip to the Rockies with some of them.

But keep in mind that the rear diff fluid isn't the only service at the 15k interval. In light of other concerns with the vehicle, I had dealer service take care of mine a month or so ago. It cost me $230 with tax.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The rear diff fluid change isn't hard. It just takes a socket wrench with an extension, a clean ( preferably dedicated ) fluid pump, and about 3 quarts of the special fluid that is similar to ATF. I'm not sure if that fluid is different from the VTM-4 vehicles I have done in the past. You probably need to drop the spare tire to get access. I've been doing it on my small fleet of VTM-4 vehicles for years. I tend to be proactive about it because they get lots of use in snow and I used to tow a pretty hefty boat and/or road trip to the Rockies with some of them.

But keep in mind that the rear diff fluid isn't the only service at the 15k interval. In light of other concerns with the vehicle, I had dealer service take care of mine a month or so ago. It cost me $230 with tax.
What servces did you perform at 15k? I'm thinking maybe we should start a service interval sticky thread.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As an example, if you look at the prices here:
Express Car Service near Hamilton, Princeton & East Windsor, NJ .
Under "Maintenance Sub Codes", a code #6 for the "Replace rear differential fluid" service costs $85.
The prices listed there should give you a ballpark figure for what various maintenance items ought to cost.
Also, check the prices at any other dealers in you area. Some have special discount coupons available on their websites.
Splitting hairs but the Pilot diff change in your link is $100...fine print :)

Either way, $300 for the rear diff seems high to me. I thought I remembered seeing a sign at the dealer where the diff fluid change was in the ~$90 range, no fine print on the sign so the Pilot's might be a bit more. Either way while still in their 36k warranty range I would pay them - getting too old for this stuff - to have it done as long as it was under ~$150.

Never had an AWD Honda so I'm not sure when to change the diff fluid. If I don't get a code for it by 20K I will bite the bullet and have them do the diff and trans fluid. Then do them again every 20K or so, since the second will be outside their 36K mark for standard warranty I'll do the work myself......of course using the Honda "branded" fluid and just keep the receipt of the fluid purchase with notes on it.

Again, just me.

EDIT: I forgot...the powertrain is ~60K :hammer:
Edit2: "hammer" isn't supported either so I will attach it

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,331 Posts
:nerd: Not to split hairs, but not one but two ":hammer:" versions are indeed supported:

1. :25: (hammer someone/something else)
    Code:
    :25:
  2. :bonk: (hammer yourself)
    Code:
    :bonk:

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Splitting hairs but the Pilot diff change in your link is $100...fine print :)
Here's one dealer's special for $85: Car coupons Dayton OH | Matt Castrucci Honda
Here's another for $66: Car coupons Janesville WI | Rock County Honda
Are we happy, now?:)

Never had an AWD Honda so I'm not sure when to change the diff fluid. If I don't get a code for it by 20K I will bite the bullet and have them do the diff and trans fluid. Then do them again every 20K or so, since the second will be outside their 36K mark for standard warranty I'll do the work myself......of course using the Honda "branded" fluid and just keep the receipt of the fluid purchase with notes on it.
FYI, the pre-MM 'normal' usage service schedule for VTM-4 fluid changes was at 15K, 30K, and then at intervals of 30K thereafter.
First ATF change was at 45K, and then at intervals of 30K thereafter.
(Add transfer case fluid [gear oil] on same schedule for later models.)

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
What servces did you perform at 15k? I'm thinking maybe we should start a service interval sticky thread.
Vehicle had 15.8k miles. It was a B16 service, so oil change and brake inspection ( etc ) with tire rotation (B1) plus rear diff ( 6 ). Tire rotation was useless b/c I had just swapped on winter wheels, but they had to come off for brake inspection ( brakes were clicking when reversing direction, they still click... ). B-1 service was about $120.

The rear diff fluid change alone was about $90. Fluid is listed as DPF-II, 3 quarts.

While it was in, I had them replace a rear emblem that was about 20° tilted, investigate intermittent rock hard brake pedal in the morning ( didn't replicate, did nothing ), investigate a caution message on MID "shifting to park, apply brake" when the brake is already applied ( did nothing ), and investigate ongoing 9-speed tranny shifting problems ( AFAIK they did nothing ). Mostly CYA for warranty and documenting ongoing issues...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
B-1 service was about $120.

The rear diff fluid change alone was about $90. Fluid is listed as DPF-II, 3 quarts.
$120 for an oil change (B1)??????

Brake inspection can be done by looking through the spokes of the wheels. Its only got 15K on it.

3 quarts of Dual Pump fluid? Isn't that for the older CR-V? The 2016 Pilot has
i-VTM-4. Open you owners manual and look to see what type of fluid is recommended. It recommends DPSF-II. Probably something similar to Acura's SH-AWD fluid.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
3 quarts of Dual Pump fluid? Isn't that for the older CR-V? The 2016 Pilot has
i-VTM-4. Open you owners manual and look to see what type of fluid is recommended. It recommends DPSF-II. Probably something similar to Acura's SH-AWD fluid.
Dude, I copied that from the service sheet! I just checked again, and it lists DPF II fluid, 08200-9007. Yeah, I'll be pissed if the dealer put in the wrong stuff. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any AWD problems and there have been plenty of slick roads lately.

DPSF = Dual Pump System Fluid

For 2014 MDX: Acura All Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF)
Bernardi lists Acura DPSF 08200-9007A

With all due respect, for a $45k vehicle with potential warranty issues, I don't think it's unreasonable to invest $120 in B1 "inspections" including oil change and filter. ( I think the original PDI at a different dealer probably consisted of pulling off the plastic wrap ). Never underestimate the value of good will. YMMV. Cheapskate... :wink:

But seriously, thanks for the heads-up on the diff fluid. My faith in Honda is somewhat diminished lately.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is why I like buying the Maintenance plan. I got mine for $880 (4 years/60K). The cost of maintenance alone in 30K and 60K pretty much is over that price. So everything else like oil change, rear differential, filters are things I consider free. Yes, unfortunately, it's an upfront cost, but I save money in the long run since I keep my cars for a very long time. And since it's paid for, I don't hesitate to take it to the dealer when it's time.

Out here, the rear diff fluid work is about $85-90. Dealers usually have 10-15% off so print one of those and see if your dealer can match the discount.

I had a maintenance plan for my 2010 Nissan Maxima. I didn't trade it in because at almost 100K miles, it runs perfect due to proper scheduled maintenance. I'll be driving the Pilot quite a bit doing day trips with the kids on top of my daily work commute. So keeping the Maxima, I can drive it about 3-5K a year saving some mileage on my Pilot.

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
I think the original PDI at a different dealer probably consisted of pulling off the plastic wrap
Same here, my impression is dealer A delivered my Pilot this way while dealer B delivered a spotless Touring Accord w/the PDI checklist left in the glove box along with the window sticker and Honda's documentation.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wow, I had B16 service done as well. My oil changes and tire rotations are free (part of the sales deal) until 36,000 miles, but the rear diff change out only costed me $71.95. Supposed to be 79.95, but I had a coupon. I was actually shocked at how low the price was, but I looked at the service sheet and it shows the following:
Parts number Description Qty Price
082009003 Fluid VTM-4 1 30.18
90471PX4000 Washer, Drain 18mm 1 2.71
Super Saver Coupon Labor -4.71
Super Saver Coupon Parts -3.29

Labor was $47.06 and listed on another line.

I may have not gotten the best deal by paying MSRP, but the service and parts department at my dealer is making up for it. The parts dept matches all the online dealer prices from Bernardi, etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is why I like buying the Maintenance plan. I got mine for $880 (4 years/60K). The cost of maintenance alone in 30K and 60K pretty much is over that price. So everything else like oil change, rear differential, filters are things I consider free. Yes, unfortunately, it's an upfront cost, but I save money in the long run since I keep my cars for a very long time. And since it's paid for, I don't hesitate to take it to the dealer when it's time.

Out here, the rear diff fluid work is about $85-90. Dealers usually have 10-15% off so print one of those and see if your dealer can match the discount.

I had a maintenance plan for my 2010 Nissan Maxima. I didn't trade it in because at almost 100K miles, it runs perfect due to proper scheduled maintenance. I'll be driving the Pilot quite a bit doing day trips with the kids on top of my daily work commute. So keeping the Maxima, I can drive it about 3-5K a year saving some mileage on my Pilot.
I'd be very interested to see if paying for the maintenance separately at the dealer for the first 60k would be cheaper or more expensive than $880. So far I've got 16k on mine and have only payed out $75 in service charges for the rear diff change. According to the manual the vehicle will need the following services:

1 - Replace engine oil and filter
2 - Inspection of lots of things
3 - Rotate Tires
4 - Replace air filter
5 - Replace dust and pollen filter
6 - Replace tranny fluid and transfer fluid
7 - Replace Spark Plugs
8 - Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
9 - Inspect valve clearance
10 - Replace engine coolant
11 - Replace rear diff fluid

The big ticket items above would be 6, 7 (maybe), 8, and 9. Next time I stop by my dealer I'll ask them how much for each. Obviously some of the items are recommended to be done at certain mile intervals like 7,500 / 15,000 / 60,000 / etc. so you would have to add those up.

$880 seems kinda high initially, but if I need to change the rear diff fluid 4 times in 60,000 miles that would add up to $300 if your dealer charges $75 a pop like mine. Add 6 oil/filter changes for an average of $40 each that would $240. Throw in 2 filter changes for both filters for let's say $30 a filter and get a total of $120. Just adding that up would be $660.

So now you're left with $220. The timing belt is probably the priciest service on the list and the manual only says this is needed at or before 60,000 miles if you drive in very low or high temps or regularly tow a trailer. That leaves the spark plugs, engine coolant, tranny fluid/transfer fluid, and valve clearance check. I'd assume if you had to do all that it would exceed $220 easily.

Using the above scenario the $880 plan makes sense if you get all your service done at the dealer. However, if you do your own oil changes, filter changes, tire rotations, and some other items then I think it becomes a toss up on which is the better way to go.

Also, one last thing. Is the maintenance plan refundable or partially refundable if you sell or trade before 60,000 miles is up?

1 - 20 of 142 Posts