Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new member long time lurker and I’m in need of some advice. So there’s a 2014 pilot EXL I’m looking to buy 100k miles. Looking at the carfax the rear diff fluid has not been changed or at least has not been reported. Is this something I should be concerned about? Otherwise everything else checks out, all fluid changes (oil & transmission) have been changed on time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi new member long time lurker and I’m in need of some advice. So there’s a 2014 pilot EXL I’m looking to buy 100k miles. Looking at the carfax the rear diff fluid has not been changed or at least has not been reported. Is this something I should be concerned about? Otherwise everything else checks out, all fluid changes (oil & transmission) have been changed on time.
Should have been changed several times by now. I wouldn’t be too concerned. Just change it first thing. Not sure when the tranny fluid was changed, but if I was to buy it, I would do all fluids to have a fresh start. Oil, tranny (3x drain and fill), rear diff, front transfer case, and coolant.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
@denzpilot has you covered for the fluids.

Has the timing belt service been done? Valve adjustment? If not, those are major services that will run you up to $1,500-$2,000 if you can't do them yourself. You need to factor this into the deal if possible.

Reactions: denzpilot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@denzpilot has you covered for the fluids.

Has the timing belt service been done? Valve adjustment? If not, those are major services that will run you up to $1,500-$2,000 if you can't do them yourself. You need to factor this into the deal if possible.
Not according to the carfax. I will find out when I go to the dealer to look at it. It’s at a Honda dealership so I planned on asking if they can do that service for me if i buy the car or take 1500-2000 off the asking price.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Not according to the carfax. I will find out when I go to the dealer to look at it. It’s at a Honda dealership so I planned on asking if they can do that service for me if i buy the car or take 1500-2000 off the asking price.
Yup, it's perfect that the vehicle is at a Honda dealer so you can properly negotiate that. They charge $1,500+ but their techs should have that belt changes in a couple hours with how many they do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have much confidence in CarFax reporting of maintenance. Is any maintenance completed by a DYI'r or independent shop reported to CarFax?

·
Registered
2015 EXL AWD Gray ext Black int
16 Posts
I've seen independent shop work on carfax reports. I can't imagine an individual performing maintenance on their own vehicle getting it on the report.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,325 Posts
I don't have much confidence in CarFax reporting of maintenance. Is any maintenance completed by a DYI'r or independent shop reported to CarFax?
Depends, did you report it when you changed your oil and filter? It can easily be done if you take the time. All you have to do is sign up on the Honda Owners site, it's FREE, put in your vehicle information. You can then go to your profile and vehicle and see what service has been done by the dealer.

EVEN BETTER, you can add any DIY or independently done service yourself to your vehicles service history.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know with carfax you can report your own diy but I’ve rarely seen it on any carfax. I know a lot of dealers won’t specify exact deatails on carfax either. I’ve seen a lot of “vehicle serviced” with no other details provided on some vehicles . I guess what I’m getting at is worse case scenario let’s say the rear diff has not had the oil changed for 100k miles is that a big deal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts