Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I took my 2019 Pilot today to the dealer where I purchased it for the maintenance minder B16 service. After I left, I noticed on my receipt that for the differential oil they used was something called “Syncro Shift 75W80” fluid and not the recommended Dual Pump II differential fluid shown in the owner’s manual. I did a little research and found that the Syncro Shift fluid is made by a company called BG out of Wichita, Kansas. I also called the service manager and talked to him about it, and he proceeded to tell me this brand fluid was better than the recommended DPII Honda fluid. He assured me that it wouldn’t void any warranties etc., but I’m not sure what to think. Has this situation happened to anyone else in this group? Should I specify on my next change to use only Honda fluids etc?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honda knows what's best for their car. I doubt a dealer would put a different fluid because it's "better". I'd take the car back to the dealer and ask them to put the right fluid. Let's see what other people say.
I second that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would ask to have it in writing on dealership letter head, signed by the service manager and dealer owner, that you still have warranty through Honda using non approved fluid. If Honda knows there was non approved fluid, they will deny warranty. One of our customers had to pay for a 9 speed trans, because he found a "better" fluid, and torched the trans while towing his boat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That does ease my mind showing it’s compatible, here is a picture of my dealer receipt (that my handwriting referring to what they used) Why should I have to be questioning the products my selling dealer would be using?! I just assumed they’d use Honda owner’s manual spec fluids! I was gonna do this service myself since I’m on vacation this week, and I have all the stuff needed, but didn’t feel like it since it’s been in the 90*’s all this week, I guess that’s what I get...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very sad to hear of all the bad dealer experiences. We have an 89% customer retention rate, apparently we are doing something right.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'd take it back and have them put the correct fluid in it. It may be fine at that dealer but if you ever have a warranty problem and you aren't at that dealer they could look at the different fluid and deny any assistance based off of that. Plus the rear differential fluid isn't really a debated subject. Everyone just uses the Honda fluid. I've never even heard of using a different fluid.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Compatible IS NOT the same thing as Approved or Licensed!

Valvoline Max Life transmission fluid says it is recommended for use in the Honda 9 speed transmission which Honda says to use a 3.1 fluid. Of course, Valvoline is the one saying it is recommended, not Honda! Appears that BG is saying the same thing for their fluid, not Honda. You would be putting in an unapproved transmission fluid which does not carry a Honda license.

Have a problem with the transmission down the road after using an unapproved product, see how your warranty could very easily be denied for not using the proper product.

BG products are sold by many dealerships of all makes because it is a BIGGER profit maker than the other fluids they could sell.

I would make sure that fluid was removed, the rear differential flushed with a Honda approved product, and then filled with he proper product.

And just what is a BG Supercharged Roadside (may be other words that didn't copy in your picture) on the repair ticket you posted??????

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know about in the rear diff in place of dual pump. I can tell you that in my old Corolla stick shift, after MANY different factory and aftermarket gear lube changes, Syncroshift II kept me from doing a rebuild and tranny shifted better at 200k than my Sonata new. It was recommended to me by a BMW top tech because BMW recommended it in any of their cars that had slight synchro issues. The BG44k works awesome for injector cleaning (at least in pre direct injection). I had a trusted mechanic (and ASE trainer that helped write ASE tests) recommend and use BG to get rid of carbon in a Ford Explorer. The before and after borescope was amazing.

Only issue I ever had was when Toyota used the ATC+ in my Sequoia. It made for a soft delayed shift that felt like slipping to me when towing. I had them flush that and go back to factory T-IV, but still use the other BG products to this day.

If future warranty is a concern, definitely have DEALER change back and note it on the service orders what was done. After warranty then I'd have no issue partially that the dealer was OK using it.. The DPF that came out my kids CRV was gross. Not sure when it was done prior if ever. I bought my BG stuff from local Infiniti dealer as they used for all their services. It was cheaper from them than on line.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know about in the rear diff in place of dual pump. I can tell you that in my old Corolla stick shift, after MANY different factory and aftermarket gear lube changes, Syncroshift II kept me from doing a rebuild and tranny shifted better at 200k than my Sonata new. It was recommended to me by a BMW top tech because BMW recommended it in any of their cars that had slight synchro issues. The BG44k works awesome for injector cleaning (at least in pre direct injection). I had a trusted mechanic (and ASE trainer that helped write ASE tests) recommend and use BG to get rid of carbon in a Ford Explorer. The before and after borescope was amazing.

Only issue I ever had was when Toyota used the ATC+ in my Sequoia. It made for a soft delayed shift that felt like slipping to me when towing. I had them flush that and go back to factory T-IV, but still use the other BG products to this day.

If future warranty is a concern, definitely have DEALER change back and note it on the service orders what was done. After warranty then I'd have no issue partially that the dealer was OK using it.. The DPF that came out my kids CRV was gross. Not sure when it was done prior if ever. I bought my BG stuff from local Infiniti dealer as they used for all their services. It was cheaper from them than on line.
Did you change the tranny fluid in the corolla? The dealer that the op goes to probably used the fluid that they used instead of the Honda fluid probably because it was cheaper. You probably changed your fluid to the other one because it’ll last longer. Why would the dealer choose for you what’s better and what isn’t?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have NEVER heard of an alternate fluid to VTM or Dual Pump fluids... very interesting, I may need to do more research on the fluid. Our rear diffs are pretty complicated little buggers so I am hesitant to use something not blessed by Honda and I find it a little odd that a Honda dealer is pushing anything other than Honda fluids... some will push Quaker or whatever oil they can get cheap but that's the farthest I've seen them go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have NEVER heard of an alternate fluid to VTM or Dual Pump fluids... very interesting, I may need to do more research on the fluid. Our rear diffs are pretty complicated little buggers so I am hesitant to use something not blessed by Honda and I find it a little odd that a Honda dealer is pushing anything other than Honda fluids... some will push Quaker or whatever oil they can get cheap but that's the farthest I've seen them go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update...After calling 5 other area Honda Service Departments and inquiring about the fluids they use for the differential service and being told all use the DPII fluid, I then called the Service Manager where I had my service done yesterday and told him my warranty concerns etc., I asked, and he agreed, with a stand offish attitude, to revert and do the fluid change out using the Honda DPII fluid which I then went right over and had it done this morning. What bothers me most is that they don’t tell you upfront that they don’t use the Honda DPII fluid, nor does the service writer know this is their practice, but tells me when I called back yesterday that Syncro Shift is a Honda’s fluid. I like this dealership, but going forward I will have to clarify what they are to be using. ☹

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Update...After calling 5 other area Honda Service Departments and inquiring about the fluids they use for the differential service and being told all use the DPII fluid, I then called the Service Manager where I had my service done yesterday and told him my warranty concerns etc., I asked, and he agreed, with a stand offish attitude, to revert and do the fluid change out using the Honda DPII fluid which I then went right over and had it done this morning. What bothers me most is that they don’t tell you upfront that they don’t use the Honda DPII fluid, nor does the service writer know this is their practice, but tells me when I called back yesterday that Syncro Shift is a Honda’s fluid. I like this dealership, but going forward I will have to clarify what they are to be using. ☹
I still find the fluid awfully intriguing... almost no other manufacturers claim to meet Honda VTM or DPII fluid. I'm open to using a fluid that is superior (if it is actually superior) but I would need to see a lot of hard evidence first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts