Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B1 popped up on the dash for my 2016 pilot at 32k miles. I'm thinking about doing the differential fluid and oil change because I bought it used 10k miles ago and don't know the exact service history on it. On the carfax it says it's been only serviced at Honda regularly and it only states oil changes. I tried contacting that dealer but they wouldn't give me any info.

If I do the differential fluid change without the Maintenance minder requiring it, would it still pop up at the next interval or is the computer smart enough to know that it's been done and not pop up early?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pretty sure the MM will generate a replacement code with the next interval regardless of what you do now. My understanding is that the MM is based on computer algorithms (or something like that) as it monitors engine rpms, distance traveled and other mystical happenings only the Great and Powerful Oz understands … not actual maintenance performed. For example I changed my air filter and cabin air filter at 20K, but the maintenance minder showed the change code for those two items around 30K as I remember. I changed my ATF fluid at 30K and got the code to do that service at 41K.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
FYI I just did the differential last week. I dropped the spare to make it easier but did not jack up the car. My 24” breaker bar was too large and touched the floor in my garage. My 12” breaker bar was too short. I ended up having to use my 18” torque wrench with extension and 1/2” to 3/8” adapter straight through spare tire opening to get it to pop open.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
What is the mileage interval for the differential fluid? Since I won't be following the MM code.
There are no published mileage intervals since the MM was introduced.
Why won't you be following the codes from the MM?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no published mileage intervals since the MM was introduced.
Why won't you be following the codes from the MM?
Because like I said I bought the pilot 10k miles ago and don't know if the differential has been done so I'm thinking of doing it now even though the code didn't pop up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the people who gotten the differential fluid change done, at what mileage did the MM code come up at?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Because like I said I bought the pilot 10k miles ago and don't know if the differential has been done so I'm thinking of doing it now even though the code didn't pop up.
In that case, are you planning to change the transmission fluid and brake fluid, as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
B1 popped up on the dash for my 2016 pilot at 32k miles. I'm thinking about doing the differential fluid and oil change because I bought it used 10k miles ago and don't know the exact service history on it. On the carfax it says it's been only serviced at Honda regularly and it only states oil changes. I tried contacting that dealer but they wouldn't give me any info.

If I do the differential fluid change without the Maintenance minder requiring it, would it still pop up at the next interval or is the computer smart enough to know that it's been done and not pop up early?
Just a comment regarding Carfax...6 years ago I purchased a RAV4 from a dealer that showed a clean past, no accidents, no major repairs. I knew it had some body work when I bought it but didn't consider it major. So I go to sell the vehicle and get another carfax report...guess what pops up? Reported major damage dated before I purchased it. I contacted Carfax and asked for an explanation...they told me that the reporting shop had just signed on to Carfax...so, basically, carfax is only as useful as the entities that report to it. In short, a Carfax report is not trustworthy, don't base your understanding of your vehicle history on them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just brought my '17 Touring in for an oil change and tire rotation and was advised that I was also due for a trans fluid change and rear diff change again. I have 33,000 on the car. I told the service advisor to do it. He came back to me after and told me that because I have the 9 speed trans and not the 10 speed, that it could wait until 60K. He still did the rear diff. I've decided to do the rear diff myself from now on if it is gonna be so frequent. He said every 15K because the dual pump fluid is thinner than gear oil, and needs to be changed more frequently. Oh well. But, I appreciated his honesty on the trans change thing. I would never had known.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The initial first change of the rear differential fluid is around 15k miles when the B16 pops up. Mine popped up at 17k. Every change after that is on a 30k mile cycle. So the second change would be around 45k miles on average.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The initial first change of the rear differential fluid is around 15k miles when the B16 pops up. Mine popped up at 17k. Every change after that is on a 30k mile cycle. So the second change would be around 45k miles on average.
You might want to double check that 30K interval. I was told by the service advisor that because Honda uses a dual pump fluid, apparently a very thin lubricant unlike gear oil, it needs to be changed every 15K. That's what he told me. I have about 35K on the car, and I've changed it twice already.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You might want to double check that 30K interval. I was told by the service advisor that because Honda uses a dual pump fluid, apparently a very thin lubricant unlike gear oil, it needs to be changed every 15K. That's what he told me. I have about 35K on the car, and I've changed it twice already.

There is a big difference sometimes between what a dealer says is needed versus what Honda or the MM says. The dealership is there to not only help keep your car up to maintenance standards, but also to earn money for themselves.

This can be done by "upselling" services or products which are not needed at the time. If Honda uses a "very thin lubricant" unlike gear oil, I am sure they (Honda) know how long it can last. They will have adjusted the MM to indicate the proper time to change it out.

If you are driving in "severe" conditions such as towing, mountain driving, heavy stop and go traffic with high outside temps, etc, than perhaps you need to follow the severe maintenance cycle. Otherwise, most will be able to go by the MM.

Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just brought my '17 Touring in for an oil change and tire rotation and was advised that I was also due for a trans fluid change and rear diff change again. I have 33,000 on the car. I told the service advisor to do it. He came back to me after and told me that because I have the 9 speed trans and not the 10 speed, that it could wait until 60K. He still did the rear diff.
It could be multiple reason.
1. it is a 9 speed and it is really expensive that alot of customers complain,
2. (not clear from your post) Does the MM #3 shows up? if its not on, you are not due. ther's no actual note that supports 60k for that fluid
3. No available tech wants to do it since its a pain to go through the whole procedure to do it right.

Idk why they even mention 10 speed. thats for Odyssey.

FYI ATF 3.1 SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts