Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2019 Pilot Elite. During visit for an oil change, the mechanic advised me that I'll need to have my rear differential fluid changed at 20,000. He said normally it's not due until 30,000, but the 2019 model of the Pilot Elite requires it at 20,000. I've checked my vehicle manual and searched on-line and can't find anything to validate this. Am I missing something? Appreciate any help. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. That was one of the articles I found in my research. Pointed this out to the mechanic and he stated that the 20,000 mile maintenance requirement is "new" for the 2019 Pilot Elite. So I'm trying to see if anyone has been advised of this "new" maintenance requirement for this model vehicle. Thanks so much for your quick response. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Yup. That was one of the articles I found in my research. Pointed this out to the mechanic and he stated that the 20,000 mile maintenance requirement is "new" for the 2019 Pilot Elite. So I'm trying to see if anyone has been advised of this "new" maintenance requirement for this model vehicle. Thanks so much for your quick response. I appreciate it.
I think if you follow the old maintenance schedule, the fluid needed to be changed first at 15k miles and then every 30k miles after that. It isn't a new requirement for that specific model or trim level.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I own a 2019 Pilot Elite. During visit for an oil change, the mechanic advised me that I'll need to have my rear differential fluid changed at 20,000. He said normally it's not due until 30,000, but the 2019 model of the Pilot Elite requires it at 20,000. I've checked my vehicle manual and searched on-line and can't find anything to validate this. Am I missing something? Appreciate any help. Thank you.
I'm not going to say dealers will tell you anything to get more money out of you more often. But I guess I just did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimmaki. . . that was my sentiment exactly, but I'm trying to be fair and not so judgmental. I'm already displeased with the mechanics/techs because of another chronic issue w/the vehicle. I'm going to stick to the schedule that's in the manual and trade this puppy for something else pronto. Thanks to everyone. Your responses have been very helpful. Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Does the manual actually list the maintenance interval? I thought 2006+ Honda follow the Maintenance Minder.
With that said, the schedule for rear differential fluid change for a 2003-05 Pilot was listed a few posts above.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
586 Posts
I think if you follow the old maintenance schedule, the fluid needed to be changed first at 15k miles and then every 30k miles after that. It isn't a new requirement for that specific model or trim level.

This is correct.

The Maintenance Minder should have designated a diff fluid change around the 2nd / 3rd oil change, depending on your mileage.

I think mine showed up on my 2nd oil change, 12k miles, after reading on the forum I did the diff fluid myself around 15k.

Its very quick and very easy to do yourself. I think I spent about $45 at Honda for the Diff Fluid and the washers.

Search my posts, there should be a Walmart link to the pump i used to get the diff fluid back in. I bought two, they were only like $4-5 each.

The diff fluid in these Hondas is extremely thin in comparison to typical diff fluid that is in a Jeep. I don't think the smell is as bad but I was wearing a regular mask due to past experience with my jeep.

As I plan on keeping this for a while and it's very easy to do, I'll probably do a drain and fill on mine again when I get to 30k miles and try and keep it to every 15k miles.

When you see how thin it is, you'll understand why.

Goodluck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts