Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fought like hell yesterday to get the fill and drain bolts loose on the rear diff for my 2005. Only got the fill plug loose yesterday, today got the drain plug loose after a liberal use of a propane torch on the plug head and letting it cool naturally. Looking at the plug, the magnet sits crooked and swivels around. Not sure if it's a defect, happened because of the heat or what. Should I replace this before I refill the diff?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just bought a new plug with magnet for $9 at oreilly. Magnet isn't as long but otherwise identical. Dealer wanted $19 and would have taken a week to come in here.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
For peace of mind I would replace the plug. The last thing you would want is the magnet coming loose and meeting the rear differential’s mechanical components.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I've seen these magnets be a little loose in the setting. I've never seen one pulled out that far. If you feel there is a danger of it falling out, I'd replace.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Is the casing allloy? Then you know where it's going to stick if it comes off. It ain't going anywhere.

In expensive replacement however.

Why were the plugs do difficult to get off? WITH a 18" + breaker bar?
Put some anti seize on the threads when putting back in.

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the casing allloy? Then you know where it's going to stick if it comes off. It ain't going anywhere.

In expensive replacement however.

Why were the plugs do difficult to get off? WITH a 18" + breaker bar?
Put some anti seize on the threads when putting back in.
Why they were so difficult I have no idea. I am the second owner of the vehicle. It was frequently serviced at the dealer but the last record of the VTM being changed was over 10 years ago. Yes, I used a 18" breaker bar.

There are other reports here of people struggling with these bolts. One person even had the casing threads for the drain plug come off and their dealer had to put a helicoil in. Boy was I sure glad to see the threads in tact...

I didn't put anti seize on. With the age of the vehicle there is a decent chance it will be retired before the next VTM change.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
This is why it's always a good practice to remove it fill plug first, before the drain plug. Imagine if you'd gotten the drain plug out and drained it, then the fill plug wouldn't come out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts