Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2017 Touring AWD. 43,XXX miles. Had the oil and rear diff fluid changed at a honda dealership at 35,000.

B16 showed up on maintenance minder a week ago.

What do you guys think of this? I have a hard time believing this is necessary. Live in Minnesota, very average mix of highway and city driving. We don't drive it hard.

Would something not have been reset by dealership last time in the maintenance minder? Or is there actually a sensor saying the rear diff needs to be changed?

thanks.

Edit: Looked through my maintenance records. That rear diff change at 35,000 was the first (and only) one. I follow the maintenance minder, so its not like I purposely skipped an earlier change around 10-15k. Would that have anything to do with it wanting another change so soon?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,574 Posts
When the rear differential fluid was changed, was it because the MM indicated it needed to be changed or did they just suggest it be done?

Has the light been on since you had it serviced at 35k? It's possible they never reset the light and it is indicating you need to change the fluid, in which case I most certainly wouldn't have it changed. I believe the pre-MM interval was every 30k miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the rear differential fluid was changed, was it because the MM indicated it needed to be changed or did they just suggest it be done?

Has the light been on since you had it serviced at 35k? It's possible they never reset the light and it is indicating you need to change the fluid, in which case I most certainly wouldn't have it changed. I believe the pre-MM interval was every 30k miles.
No. Light has not been on until it flashed B16 a week ago. I honestly don't remember if it was listed on the MM at 35k or if they recommended it.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,848 Posts
No. Light has not been on until it flashed B16 a week ago. I honestly don't remember if it was listed on the MM at 35k or if they recommended it.
That could well be the problem. Rear Differential Fluid first change is at approximately 12K miles. The early change is to replace the break in fluid. From there the Rear Differential Fluid changes are approximately 30K miles apart.

12K plus 30K = 42K miles which is just about were you are. Sounds like you got and extra Rear Differential Fluid change in the somehow, some time to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never had it changed at 12K, though. Looking through my records I only had it changed once and that was at 35K. Looks like they recommended it after a 27.5K oil change, so then I had it done at the 35K oil change.

I'm leaning towards not getting it changed now at 43K, and will wait till the next oil change. Unless it is a good idea to get it done again since I never had it done before 15K.

Is there something that senses the rear diff fluid for MM recommendations, or is it strictly based on mileage?

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
This why you should do things yourself. The first change is early on and roughly 30K after that. The Pilot is so easy to work on as far as basic maintenance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i changed it at 15k for the first time per the MID, and when we had oil changed by the dealer (free for life) at around 30k miles, they recommended it be changed again. I thought you were supposed to change it at 15k, 30k and then you could go every 30k miles. That’s said, it’s pretty easy to change and for me 15k miles is about 2 years or less of driving (our 2016 only has 34k miles on it)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is there something that senses the rear diff fluid for MM recommendations, or is it strictly based on mileage?
You will never, EVER find an answer on exactly how or why the MM system throws codes in your vehicle. Isn't that ridiculous? You just do what it tells you to do and you like it. Don't ask questions because Honda is smarter than all of us peasants. There can't be bugs in their software, it's perfect. They either think that we're too stupid to understand their magical MM programming logic. OR...it's their magical secret sauce and they guard it like so.

In case you can't tell, I don't like the MM system because it's largely undocumented. But not only that, Honda does not provide a maintenance schedule. If you do find one, it's created by the dealer and in no way is it official Honda documentation.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
You will never, EVER find an answer on exactly how or why the MM system throws codes in your vehicle. Isn't that ridiculous? You just do what it tells you to do and you like it. Don't ask questions because Honda is smarter than all of us peasants. There can't be bugs in their software, it's perfect. They either think that we're too stupid to understand their magical MM programming logic. OR...it's their magical secret sauce and they guard it like so.

In case you can't tell, I don't like the MM system because it's largely undocumented. But not only that, Honda does not provide a maintenance schedule. If you do find one, it's created by the dealer and in no way is it official Honda documentation.
Me too, and that is why there is a little black logbook in every vehicle I own where I keep track of all maintenance performed. MM really just stands for moneymaker.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
MM really just stands for moneymaker.
Are you suggesting that following the service prompts from the MM - assuming that it is operated as intended - will result in having unnecessary maintenance performed?
If not, then how is it a "moneymaker"?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Are you suggesting that following the service prompts from the MM - assuming that it is operated as intended - will result in having unnecessary maintenance performed?
If not, then how is it a "moneymaker"?
Judging from posts that I have read on this thread and other MM threads on this forum, the MM is working just the way Honda intended causing a lot of owners to panic and run to the dealerships for high priced maintenance that could be done themselves or at an independent shop. So yes it is moneymaker for Honda. A prime example is the diff fluid change that is easier to do than an oil change and the Honda shops are charging well over $100 for it.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,848 Posts
Sounds like a good conclusion, except there is nothing to keep any DIY'er from doing the suggested MM maintenance themselves or have it done at an independent shop.

Just as big a money maker here is the DIY'er doing things with modern products based on old fashioned out dated data/beliefs. Changing your top quality full synthetic oil every 3000 or 5000 miles when you could get another 1000-4000 miles before actually needing to change the oil puts your money into the pockets of the Oil/fluid companies, filter companies, etc.

There is absolutely nothing related to the MM that forces anyone to go to Honda for their service. It just tells you when, based on conditions, including your own driving conditions and habits when particular services are needed to be performed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts