Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no clue how to work the rear climate controls. When I hit the RR A/C button to give climate control to the rear seat, it does not seem to work. For example, the system is set on Full Auto. When I engage the rear control, I would expect to control the rear fan speed and temperature through that control. But actually, nothing is coming out!

Another example, when I am not in Full Auto, and I select the rear control, air does blow out. However changing the control to full cold does not do anything!!! Last night the passengers in the rear said they were hot, so I gave them control, but it didn't work.

Is my Rear Climate Control broken? Or do I no know how to operate it?

Any help with this would be appreciated!

TIA

Jay

·
Registered
920 Posts
BTW, has anyone noticed that the rear climate control only works with the AC on and not the heat???

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My understanding (for what it is worth)

When you have the front on Auto, and push in the rear manual (I think that is the wording), the rear knob allows the rear system to be set a few degrees hotter or a few degrees cooler, or off.
Sort of a fine tuning control.

The heat in the back comes from the bottom, and also seems to be controlled by the knob when allowed from the front.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've noticed this as well. That rear control seems to be a little finicky, depending on what auto temp is set. I was hoping it would operate like a "dumb" climate control system, but that isn't the case, apparently.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Back heater

If the front rear switch is off then the rear mimicks the front. If the rear power is on, then the rear control can be set for off or several other fan/temp settings. Rotating that knob increases/decreases the fan and temp.
If the air is being directed to the floor in the front then it is directed to the floor in the back. If you change it to the dash up front then the rear also changes to the top.

I think.................................

·
Registered
664 Posts
lamuncha has it. The button turned off ties it into the front. Turned on the rear can change their settings from the baseline, The baseline being the temp. of the front.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
OK - this is what was explained to me when I picked up my Pilot.
The Manual Rear button on the dash is to disable the actual control knob for the back - behind the console. Dealer explained like if you have kids back there and they're always fooling with the knob - you can disable it by turning the rear manual button on on the dash.
That would explain why nothing is coming out in the rear when the
dash button is on/lit. It does seem backwards to me. "On" on the dash means "off" in the back. Go figure... :confused:
If I'm on Full Auto the air blows out the back unless I depress/turn on/light up the Manual Rear button then the air stops.
Maybe mines the one that has the problem??

·
Registered
481 Posts
your dealer has the problem, sage.

the button activates the controls in the rear. . .doesn't deactivate them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not only that

In my mind Honda put a lot of money into the plumbing and heat exchanger for the rear seat. As I recall, I have seen plumbing (heating and cooling lines) heading into the back.
I mean is it worth all that so you can supposedly vary the temp between the front and rear a few degrees? I would rather see the conventional fan and vents back there and put the money into something else.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dano said:
your dealer has the problem, sage.

the button activates the controls in the rear. . .doesn't deactivate them.
It sounds like not only does my DEALER have a problem but so does my Pilot. The air stops blowing back there when I turn on that button! :eek:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sage,

that will happen if the rear control is set to "off." It should kick in again when you move the rear dial.

The heat will come from below, AC from the vents above the controls

·
Registered
241 Posts
The button

With the rear button "on" and no rear fan running the rear knob must be at 12 o-clock. This is the "off" position for the back fan. Rotate it and the fan increases/decreases along with the temp.

I think....................

·
Registered
920 Posts
IOW, what people are saying is as follows...

With AC on and rear switch activated, the fan will blow more or less as you turn the rear knob and the air will blow from the UPPER vents???

With the AC off (heat on) and the rear switch activated, the fan will blow more or less as you turn the rear and the air will blow from the LOWER vents???

I think that the rear passengers can only control the amount of AC and not the amount of heat (AC off).

Any takers???

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
They do not control the amount of air

They control the temp setting.
from off - not on at all,
or +1 2 3 or -1 2 3
I don't think the 1 2 3 is degrtees, just some amount.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Something like that

I'm going to get a cold one and check it out, must be 5:00 somewhere. Likely have an empty case before I figure it out and won't remember tomorrow what I learned tonight.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You put your left foot in ...

You put your right foot out ...

You do the HOKEY POKEY and your turn it all about ...

:1zhelp: :whip:

PrG

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dano said:
Sage,

that will happen if the rear control is set to "off." It should kick in again when you move the rear dial.

The heat will come from below, AC from the vents above the controls
Thanks Dano... I'll try that.
Lamuncha - you awake? Or did you pass out under the Upper A/C Lower Heat On/Off Hokey Pokey vent? :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discovery

Well, didn’t get done what I expected to get done, wife discovered the missing cookie sheet I sawed up to re-sheet metal under the hood. Made I nice rodent deterrent though. Had to sleep in the car, and I've forgotten what I discovered.

·
Registered
991 Posts
All I can say to the rear climate controls is "What a bunch on nonsense" Sorry Honda, I do love you!! But what did you design this on a Monday!

I have read the Manual and I just Noticed a separate card that came with my book that explained the rear climate controls.(Anyone else get this" Guess what, it does not explain natha....

I have to get some Advil, and read again, but I know that the read ac button has to be pressed, and depending on what section you choose, for example" forward blowing only" then the rear vents work... But if you have it on "downward or defrost and lower blowing, then it does not work"

Ether way, I think the climate control in the rear will not be used do to the way they have set it up... and with FULL AUTO, the Manuel says the read controls cannot be used... My personal setting is defrost and lower blowing... Again, rear controls cannot be used...

I am babbling... will stop now...

rob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts