Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of changing my timing belt on my 2005 Pilot. After I removed the crank pulley wheel and the slot pin, and before I removed the old t-belt, I accidentally tuned the crank bolt that I had temporarily reinstalled, which obviously turned the crankshaft without moving the t-belt/cam sprockets and unfortunately I had not marked/painted any of the original positions. So now I have to reset everything basically from scratch. I took the old belt off and put the crank slot pin back in to set the crank to #1 TDC (matching arrows). I then set the front cam to the #1 notched position. The rear cam is not so straight forward. From what I recall, before I took the old t-belt off, by chance, I actually appeared to have left all the sprockets in #1 TDC position. I remember pulling the crank slot pin out from the top position and the front cam was aligned with the #1 notches. I am almost 95% sure that the rear cam position, at this point, with the old t-belt still in position, was with the #1 TCD line/notch at about 60 degrees forward/2 o'clock position (vs. straight up/12 o'clock where I think it should have been). When I removed the old t-belt, neither of the cam sprockets jumped forward or backwards. In fact, I don't think there was any movement with them at all. So to be consistent with all of the manuals, videos, posts, etc. that I read, I held the rear sprocket in the mid-spring/tension position with a wrench to align the TDC lines and put on the new belt and tightened the idler pulley so everything was tight. I did find this rear sprocket position odd because if it had been set there when I took my old t-belt off, it should have sprung forward somewhat forcefully and noticeably, which, as noted before, it didn't. So now with everything in the "correct" position and the t-belt tight, I reinstall and manually turn the crank bolt and almost immediately feel interference and immediately stop. I am almost certain that I had everything in the exact "correct" line/tooth positions when I did this. So I then thought maybe someone in the past (I am not the orig. owner) removed and remounted the rear cam sprocket in the wrong position, so I took the new t-belt back off and reset the rear sprocket to what I recall it being at with the old t-belt on (i.e., 60 degrees clockwise/2 o'clock) and tightened everything back up again and did another manual crank turn - no interference. I got 2 full rotations on the crank and the cams returned to their orig. positions. It seems crazy but could the rear sprocket actually be mounted/positioned incorrectly? Could the correct position of the rear sprocket be in the "relaxed" position with the TDC line at 2 o'clock? Should I try other positions/sprocket teeth? Is there some other way to confirm the correct position without tearing the whole upper engine apart? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts