Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m so frustrated and have no idea what to do!
My husband and I were attempting a TB change and all that goes with it, water pump, pulleys hydraulic tensioner (pretty sure that was the problem) etc. Everything was going ok-ish, once we got that dang crank shaft bolt loose. Then we got to the TB. The camshafts were TDC, everything was good! Then he was trying to get the belt tightly over the rear cam and it went backwards a little (counter clockwise). So he tried to move it back to TDC and it sprung forward. About a quarter of a turn. So then we were sitting at basically 3 o’clock on the rear and everything else was TDC. We thought, ok, no biggie...let’s just rotate it clockwise back to TDC. He got it to basically bottom dead center (6 o’clock) and it stopped moving.
Now we don’t know what to do!

We have a crank shaft and front cam shaft sprocket sitting TDC and the rear cam shaft is basically sitting opposite, what I’m now calling bottom dead center....don’t know if that’s a real thing but it is now (in my vocabulary anyway, lol)
I hope I’m explaining this correctly. And just PRAYING someone here can tell us what to do!
We googled and searched this forum already and we’re seeing so many different answers...none of which are working for us. People are saying just rotate it clockwise but it won’t move, not by hand (my husband is huge with massive strong hands and even he can’t get it to rotate). I came across an Acura forum (I believe, at this point my memory is getting foggy) that said we have to remove the valve cover and release the tension on the valve springs to get the cam to rotate again.
I’m scared, y’all! I’m afraid we have gotten ourselves in too deep. Not that we aren’t capable of actually doing the work...we just don’t know what work to do.
SOS...someone please rescue us. Point us in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My husband and I were attempting a TB change and all that goes with it, water pump, pulleys hydraulic tensioner (pretty sure that was the problem) etc. Everything was going ok-ish, once we got that dang crank shaft bolt loose. Then we got to the TB. The camshafts were TDC, everything was good! Then he was trying to get the belt tightly over the rear cam and it went backwards a little (counter clockwise). So he tried to move it back to TDC and it sprung forward. About a quarter of a turn. So then we were sitting at basically 3 o’clock on the rear and everything else was TDC. We thought, ok, no biggie...let’s just rotate it clockwise back to TDC. He got it to basically bottom dead center (6 o’clock) and it stopped moving.

We have a crank shaft and front cam shaft sprocket sitting TDC and the rear cam shaft is basically sitting opposite, what I’m now calling bottom dead center....don’t know if that’s a real thing but it is now (in my vocabulary anyway, lol)
I hope I’m explaining this correctly. And just PRAYING someone here can tell us what to do!
We googled and searched this forum already and we’re seeing so many different answers...none of which are working for us. People are saying just rotate it clockwise but it won’t move, not by hand (my husband is huge with massive strong hands and even he can’t get it to rotate). I came across an Acura forum (I believe, at this point my memory is getting foggy) that said we have to remove the valve cover and release the tension on the valve springs to get the cam to rotate again.
I’m scared, y’all! I’m afraid we have gotten ourselves in too deep. Not that we aren’t capable of actually doing the work...we just don’t know what work to do.
Sorry, I thought my Pilot would automatically pop up with my question. We have a 2010 EX. I doubt that matters but just wanted to add..

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

Can't you turn the rear camshaft back to "top dead center" the #1 cylinder timing mark, going counterclockwise?

·
Registered
277 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly what happened you need to go counterclockwise to get it back where it should be.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't you turn the rear camshaft back to "top dead center" the #1 cylinder timing mark, going counterclockwise?
I read that if you turn it counter clockwise you can bend...valves,
We were afraid to try. Won’t that bend valves? I’ve read a few places that you can. So we just assumed counterclockwise was a nono.
We know just enough about cars to get ourselves into trouble. Lol. We’re trying to learn though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

We were afraid to try. Won’t that bend valves? I’ve read a few places that you can. So we just assumed counterclockwise was a nono.
We know just enough about cars to get ourselves into trouble. Lol. We’re trying to learn though!
Sorry. My phone died and posted the first part of my comment before I was finished.
If I'm understanding correctly what happened you need to go counterclockwise to get it back where it should be.

I didn’t know you could. We read that we can bend valves by going backwards. But there are two comments now saying you can. So thank you! Because we were under the impression that you can’t do that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You want to turn it back the way it came. If the cam moved counter clockwise then you want to move it clockwise back into position.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry. My phone died and posted the first part of my comment before I was finished.

I didn’t know you could. We read that we can bend valves by going backwards. But there are two comments now saying you can. So thank you! Because we were under the impression that you can’t do that.
Yes you can turn it back to where it was. You can't go clockwise anymore because one of the valves is hitting the head. Hopefully you didn't crank too hard on it. Just rotate it back counterclockwise to the timing mark.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Read Only
293 Posts
The back head will spring really harshly when you’re trying to put it back to top dead center. You can go backwards to where you need it safely, it will just spring forward and backwards. Do not go a full rotation as you will hit the piston. What you need to is try different length ratchets to get the right leverage to spin the cam sprocket ever so slightly but not go past the point of TDC. Short wrenches I found don’t give you enough leverage and you just fly past it because you’re pushing so hard. Take out the spark plugs to minimize the compression. It’s a really fine line to get it to stop where you need it to but it will stay. Once you get it to stay you can very gently move it to where you need it then don’t touch it. It will stay but it takes some effort. You won’t hurt it going back and forth just don’t do a full rotation.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Trying to force the cams forward could definitely have damaged the valves depending on how hard you tugged on it. You were hitting the piston with the valves which is why it wouldn’t move. That’s a huge no no.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

I don't know where you read that although it is true that it's not a good idea to turn engines in the opposite direction than they normally rotate because the belt (or chain) tensioners are designed for rotation going only one way. If you were to rotate the engine (not a camshaft) in the wrong direction, slack could be created in the belt and it could skip a tooth or two, or more ... and yes, if things get far enough out of time, then pistons could hit valves.

But, as long as you aren't rotating the crankshaft, and you only rotate only the rear camshaft back the way it came off TDC, (counterclockwise) you will be fine. I wouldn't try to go any further clockwise as at some point the valves on #1 cylinder will start opening and that piston is sitting at top dead center. Camshaft timing for valves on any given cylinder should allow them to be closed when the piston is top dead center since shortly before that is when combustion occurs.

If you rotate the camshaft (in either direction) while the piston is sitting up at top dead center, that will force either the intake or exhaust valves into the piston. But as long as you stay approximately between 9 oclock to 3 oclock, you can safely rock it back and forth in either direction to get the timing mark to line up at approximately 12 oclock.

If you're just moving the camshaft, taking the spark plugs out won't affect anything, since the pistons aren't moving. What you're fighting are the valves' spring pressure against rising cam lobes on other cylinders. (#2 or #3) I wouldn't suggest unloading those springs to make turning the camshaft easier. Just get a longer handle wrench.

Good luck and relax ... you're fine. As strong as your husband is, I doubt any damage was done rotating the camshaft by hand. Some people use spring clamps to hold the camshaft pulleys in place while threading the belt on. That back one is particularly challenging due to the guide bosses cast into the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You want to turn it back the way it came. If the cam moved counter clockwise then you want to move it clockwise back into position.
So it did move slightly counterclockwise then while he was moving it clockwise, it jumped forward, past TDC. So now we’re supposed to move it counterclockwise back to TDC? Just making sure I understand. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know where you read that although it is true that it's not a good idea to turn engines in the opposite direction than they normally rotate because the belt (or chain) tensioners are designed for rotation going only one way. If you were to rotate the engine (not a camshaft) in the wrong direction, slack could be created in the belt and it could skip a tooth or two, or more ... and yes, if things get far enough out of time, then pistons could hit valves.

But, as long as you aren't rotating the crankshaft, if you rotate only the rear camshaft back the way it came off TDC, (counterclockwise) you will be fine. I wouldn't try to go any further clockwise as at some point the valves on #1 cylinder will start opening and that piston is sitting at top dead center. Camshaft timing for valves on any given cylinder should allow them to be closed when the piston is top dead center since that is when combustion occurs. If you rotate the camshaft (in either direction) while the piston is sitting up at top dead center, that will force either the intake or exhaust valves into the piston. But as long as you stay approximately between 9 oclock to 3 oclock, you can safely rock it back and forth in either direction to get the timing mark to line up at approximately 12 oclock. If you're just moving the camshaft, taking the spark plugs out won't affect anything. You're fighting the valves' spring pressure against rising cam lobes on other cylinders. (#2 or #3) I wouldn't suggest unloading those springs to make turning the camshaft easier. Just get a longer handle wrench.

Good luck and relax ... you're fine. As strong as your husband is, I doubt any damage was done rotating the camshaft by hand. Some people use spring clamps to hold the camshaft pulleys in place while threading the belt on. That back one is particularly challenging due to the guide bosses cast into the engine.
Thank you so much for your response! I was so worried. I don’t recall where we read it but it was while we were reading up preparing to do the job. So that stuck in our heads and we went into panic mode. Lol. Have to work today, but as soon as we get home we’re going to take another crack at getting it back into place. Then I’ll go get some spring clamps to assist with getting the belt on and properly positioned. Yes, that sucker is very challenging. Those guide bosses are a pain, but every time we got the belt on it ended up having too much slack. So we’d take it off, pull it tight and wiggle it back on. We did that at least 4 times before the cam decided it wanted to move backwards a couple teeth. That’s when we really started worrying. And it all got worse from there. Lol. We’ve always done the basics on our own. The “bolt on parts” but when we realized it needed a new timing assembly we decided it was time to learn how to do that ourselves. We bought everything we’d need to do it all. No messing around. If we were getting in there now, everything was getting I replaced. And to think...I was worried about the water pump. Haha. That was easy as pie! I really appreciate your assurance! I’m not longer in panic mode. I read your comment to my husband while I’m responding and he disappeared. Just popped back in and said “I got it, it’s TDC!” So phew! Hahaha. That’s a big relief. Well pick up some spring clamps today while we’re working and see if we can’t get that sucker on tonight when we get home. But for now, it’s time to lay some floors.
Thank you again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trying to force the cams forward could definitely have damaged the valves depending on how hard you tugged on it. You were hitting the piston with the valves which is why it wouldn’t move. That’s a huge no no.
That makes sense. Hopefully jammiki
thank you! Hopefully he didn’t do any damage. Since it didn’t go a full rotation I’m praying! Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So it did move slightly counterclockwise then while he was moving it clockwise, it jumped forward, past TDC. So now we’re supposed to move it counterclockwise back to TDC? Just making sure I understand. Thank you for your response.
Ok. I get it now. Sorry! We got it. Well, he did while I was replying to everyone here. We saw “don’t go backwards” and assumed that was a hard rule. Didn’t realize it wasn’t as serious. Thank you!

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Use this video on how to get the belt on:

You are using an AISIN brand kit aren’t you? Not a parts from amazon or eBay?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thank you so much for your response! I was so worried. I don’t recall where we read it but it was while we were reading up preparing to do the job. So that stuck in our heads and we went into panic mode. Lol. Have to work today, but as soon as we get home we’re going to take another crack at getting it back into place. Then I’ll go get some spring clamps to assist with getting the belt on and properly positioned. Yes, that sucker is very challenging. Those guide bosses are a pain, but every time we got the belt on it ended up having too much slack. So we’d take it off, pull it tight and wiggle it back on. We did that at least 4 times before the cam decided it wanted to move backwards a couple teeth. That’s when we really started worrying. And it all got worse from there. Lol. We’ve always done the basics on our own. The “bolt on parts” but when we realized it needed a new timing assembly we decided it was time to learn how to do that ourselves. We bought everything we’d need to do it all. No messing around. If we were getting in there now, everything was getting I replaced. And to think...I was worried about the water pump. Haha. That was easy as pie! I really appreciate your assurance! I’m not longer in panic mode. I read your comment to my husband while I’m responding and he disappeared. Just popped back in and said “I got it, it’s TDC!” So phew! Hahaha. That’s a big relief. Well pick up some spring clamps today while we’re working and see if we can’t get that sucker on tonight when we get home. But for now, it’s time to lay some floors.
Thank you again!
Great! What a relief, eh?

Some people start with the back cam pulley and work down around the water pump and then over the front cam pulley, then down around the crankshaft. Just keep some tension in the belt as you work back around. Since the belt is already on the back pulley, you can keep some opposing tension on the belt on the back side (tensioner side) to keep from pulling the rear cam shaft clockwise off its tdc as you pull the belt from the other side on its way around the water pump, front pulley and finally the crankshaft. Maybe "pull" is the wrong word. Just keep some tension in it, i.e. no slack. Put that crankshaft shield on to help keep the belt from coming off until you get the tensioner pin pulled. Double check all the timing marks before pulling that pin, then you're done. Refill the coolant and you can start it up for a short time and check for water pump leaks before putting all the covers back on.

Now pour a tall cool one.😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

thank you! Hopefully he didn’t do any damage. Since it didn’t go a full rotation I’m praying! Lol
[/

sorry for the half response and typo. Lol. My dang phone jumps all around while trying to reply on this site. Don’t know what it’s problem is.
I just hope he wasn’t tugging too hard. I guess we’ll know when we turn this sucker over.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You are correct. Sounds like you need to turn it counterclockwise.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts