Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people I have a 2004 LX as a second vehicle I bought last June. After a month the rear brakes were grinding. I got some pads and went to work on it. I found the inner pads were worn to nothing while the outer still had life. I thought maybe the caliper was sticking. I put the pads in and figured I'd watch it. I kinda forgot about it and now they are grinding again. The caliper seem to work so I'm thinking maybe pins need lubing up.

My questions are has anyone had this issue and if so what was it? What lube do people recommend for the pins?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've been there with something similar... at the end of the day I ended up replacing the caliper since lubing the pins didn't work.

For the grease I used a "caliper grease".

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking I might have to replace them. Just seems weird it would be both. Usually one will go bad but it's both so I thought maybe it was just the pins binding it up. I've seen a bunch of different lubes for the pins, but figured I'd see what people had the best luck with. In the past I've always just used white lithium or whatever I had. Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
You need to do more than just lube. The caliper slots in the brackets get clogged with hard rust deposits and prevent free movement of the calipers and pads. Full disassembly is needed. File out the rust. New SS slide hardware. Proper brake lube. All this or you are just wasting time and money.

Check out South Main Auto channel and his brake job videos. Eric O. does the job right.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to do more than just lube. The caliper slots in the brackets get clogged with hard rust deposits and prevent free movement of the calipers and pads. Full disassembly is needed. File out the rust. New SS slide hardware. Proper brake lube. All this or you are just wasting time and money.

Check out South Main Auto channel and his brake job videos. Eric O. Does the job right.
Well yeah. I only said lube, but I was gonna do the whole thing lol. I plan on taking everything apart. I'll probably get some new calipers and clean everything up real good. Thanks for the recommendation on the videos, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Your hub bearing is likely loose and has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
I don't know if your model is the same, but on mine the parking brake pads are inside the rear rotor. Check those while you have everything off and make sure they don't need to be repaired.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Nah ..just spray everything like my neighbor does with a can of WD-40 including the pads

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'm not sure how that would make the inner pads on both sides wear out so fast without causing any tire issues. I'm pretty sure it's brake related. Explain how that would be.
A tiny skew in the bearing causes caliper to apply pressure at an angle to the rotor. Tires are soft. Pads are hard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey people I have a 2004 LX as a second vehicle I bought last June. After a month the rear brakes were grinding. I got some pads and went to work on it. I found the inner pads were worn to nothing while the outer still had life. I thought maybe the caliper was sticking. I put the pads in and figured I'd watch it. I kinda forgot about it and now they are grinding again. The caliper seem to work so I'm thinking maybe pins need lubing up.

My questions are has anyone had this issue and if so what was it? What lube do people recommend for the pins?

Thanks
I used Mission Automotive Dielectric grease/Silicone Paste. Great for greasing the brake caliper pins. Plus the paste is water proof. Make sure you remove the old pin out and clean well before applying the grease. I never had an issue with my brake calipers making any grinding noises using this product.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts