Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Rear bumper reinforcement replacement options

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Cousin Itt 
#1 ·
The rear bumper reinforcement on my 04 Pilot is completely rusted and looks like brown flaky Swiss cheese. Everything else on the car is in good shape except that, and I see that it seems to be a common problem with Pilots in the northeast. I'm guessing they just used a bad bunch of steel for those parts, or just didn't rust-proof them properly?

My question is, do you think there's any chance I can find a salvageable rear bumper reinforcement off a Pilot in a scrap yard, or should I just order new, since there's a pretty good chance that every Pilot from my generation has a rusty bumper? There are a few Craigslist/Facebook ads in my area for people parting out Pilots in my area, but I don't want to waste my time driving around just to find out there are no good used bumpers. Looks like new ones run about $130-150.

#2 ·
If you're planning on keeping your PIlot for a good while longer, go with a new one. I don't know what your time's worth to you, but you may end up going around visiting a lot of bumpers before you find a good one.

#3 ·
Buying used inner bumper beam might be just as bad or worse than your own. Ebay may be another source for new bumper beam replacements. The steel was a bad choice as all the snow, ice, mud collects in there. The Toyota Highlander has an aluminum beam and it won't rust like the Honda.

#5 ·
I ordered a new one from a seller on Ebay for $125 with free shipping. It was delivered 3 days later via FedEx. I pulled Curt hitch off temporarily since I need to scrape the rust off it and repaint it next week, and that made it easier to get to a few of the screws that hold the bumper on. Here's the comparison photo showing how bad the original was. The new one bolted right in with no fitment issues.

#6 ·
I ordered a new one from a seller on Ebay for $125 with free shipping. It was delivered 3 days later via FedEx. I pulled Curt hitch off temporarily since I need to scrape the rust off it and repaint it next week, and that made it easier to get to a few of the screws that hold the bumper on. Here's the comparison photo showing how bad the original was. The new one bolted right in with no fitment issues.
View attachment 135660
If you're satisfied with the eBay seller and his product, post a link.

What a difference. (y) Oh well, we're all subject to entropy in one way or another. :)

#7 ·
I had the same exact problem on an 03 Pilot I recently bought from Ohio. I got a decent used beam off another Pilot at the salvage yard but they lost the bolts and mine were so rusted I threw them out before looking at the thread pattern. Does anyone happen to know the bolt size & thread pattern for the bottom bolts for this beam that bolt into the frame rail underneath? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.