Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2006 Pilot EX for my son from a friend. It has sat for a couple months only driven once every couple of weeks.

Right Rear brakes are dragging so I replaced all 4 pads, rotors and calipers. On the rear parking brake assemblies, I replaced all the hardware because of rust from the previous owner backing in and out of salt water.

Any idea why the caliper it is still sticking? Tomorrow Im going to gut the parking brake on the passenger side to see if its the parking brake that is sticking or the caliper. Not sure why the parking brakes would be sticking because they have nt been used since replacing the hardware.
TIA

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
Lets start with basics...how's the brake fluid? Its too often ignored.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
There are only ever 4 reasons for sticking in the order of decreasing probability:
  • seized caliper pins
  • seized pads in the caliper slides
  • seized caliper piston
  • ABS actuator problem
Tackle them in that order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are only ever 4 reasons for sticking in the order of decreasing probability:
  • seized caliper pins
  • seized caliper piston
  • ABS actuator problem
Thank you. So far I have new calipers, pads, brackets, slide pins, rotors on all 4 corners and parking brake hardware on the rear axle.
I guess is tine to look at the ABS actuator.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. So far I have new calipers, pads, brackets, slide pins, rotors on all 4 corners and parking brake hardware on the rear axle.
I guess is tine to look at the ABS actuator.
Thanks again.
  • seized caliper pins
  • seized caliper piston
  • ABS actuator problem
Are you referring to the ABS Modulator?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yeah, the modulator.
Which side is sticking, by the way?
And when does it stick? Does it do it only after you drive and use the brake pedal? If you shut the engine off, does it release?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The right rear was sticking. I ended up removing all the parking brake hardware/pads and the problem seems to have stopped. Going to let my son drive it a few days to see if it comes back.

When it stuck, the vehicle would come to a stop by itself. asking up would sometimes release it but the next time the brakes were his, it would stick again.
Never tried shutting the engine off and seeing it it reset the ABS system.
Hopefully the parking brake was the problem.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,929 Posts
If the right rear parking brake pad was locking up I imagine you would have seen some significant difference in pad thickness compared to the left side when you took the hardware out. Did you notice any pad thickness differences between the two sides?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the right rear parking brake pad was locking up I imagine you would have seen some significant difference in pad thickness compared to the left side when you took the hardware out. Did you notice any pad thickness differences between the two sides?
It was only driven about 50 miles or less since the problem reared its ugly head. There was some discoloring of the Right Rear parking pads but no noticeable difference in thickness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts