Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is finally cooling down, I'm driving more with the windows down. I've noticed a clicking noise that appears to come from the rear brake calipers.

I back out of my driveway and brake, then put it in drive and head off down the street. When I brake a second time at the stop sign, CLICK! CLICK! Left and right don't always click at the same moment.

The faster I'm going, the louder the click. It sounds and feels like the calipers are sticking.

I thought I remembered something about this on this board, but couldn't find it. Has anyone else experienced this noise?:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
2002 CR-V has this

I have not heard this on my Pilot, but my wife drives it most of the time.
My 2002 CR-V (and many others acording to the CR-V sites) have this problem.
Honda so far has said it is "normal" and does not have a fix.

·
Registered
592 Posts
a2pilot:

Isn't this the same 'clicking problem' that we have been talking about (in numerous other threads) that comes from under the drivers side dash ? (Mostly when its hot, AC on, on minor bumps etc. )

a2Pilot said:
Now that the weather is finally cooling down, I'm driving more with the windows down. I've noticed a clicking noise that appears to come from the rear brake calipers.

I back out of my driveway and brake, then put it in drive and head off down the street. When I brake a second time at the stop sign, CLICK! CLICK! Left and right don't always click at the same moment.

The faster I'm going, the louder the click. It sounds and feels like the calipers are sticking.

I thought I remembered something about this on this board, but couldn't find it. Has anyone else experienced this noise?:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I don't think so

The best description (based on CR-V problem) is that each time you change direction and appy the brakes you get a single click from each side (CR-V sounds like front, but could be back).
E.G. You back out of the driveway, and stop "CLICK", you drive forward to the end of the street and stop "CLICK", you drive all morning without a problem till you back into a parking space and stop "CLICK".
It it not a rattle, or clicking from the dash or the engine conpartment.
It is not the shift lockout solenoid in the dash.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
What N_Jay said...

The calipers float and the clicking, which is most pronounced (at least on the MDX) when the car/brakes are cold, occurs when you change directions and the calipers shift fore+aft. Most folks on the X board complain about the rears; I can't recall anyone noticing the fronts.

It's, uh, normal.

Ours does it just outta the driveway in the mornings...after that, we don't hear it.

BTW, N_Jay, is the CRV front-disc and rear-drum? That could explain why it's only from the front on the V.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah, yeah, I get that too.

I never get the noise when I press the brakes to change gears, but let's say I put the car in reverse to back out of a parking spot, then I put the gear in D (so, by this time, I've pressed the brakes a few times already but no click yet) and drive off slowly and say when I brake for a speed bump, I get the click. Not sure whether it's coming from the front or the rear though.

It's weird. It only seems to happen when braking while at a slow speed and when the car's relatively cold, at least for me. It's one of those things that don't happen every single time, so it isn't something I can show the service technician when I take the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Hey, I resent that!!!

4 wheel disk, full ABS, Dude!:4:
3/4s the car for 2/3 the $

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: Hey, I resent that!!!

N_Jay said:
4 wheel disk, full ABS, Dude!:4:
3/4s the car for 2/3 the $
Hey, you know I wasn't meaning to offend ;) Was just asking to see if it could support the hypothesis :D

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
All in jest

:4: :2: :4: :2: :4: :2: :4: :2: :4:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clickity Clack!

That's exactly it! Cold brakes, changing direction. Single click from each side in back!! Sometimes pretty loud, if I'm in a hurry.

Normal. Hmmm.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yep, I get this to. My morning routine is to back out of the garage, turn to the side when I clear the door, then pull forward down my hill of a driveway. When I brake about half way down the hill I get the click/pop. The first few times I heard it I thought it was VTM kicking in for some stupid reason, but then ultimately concluded that it was a brake sound. Mine is definitely the back breaks (which is what was making me think it was VTM at first.)

No biggie, just another bit of "personality." :cool:

Chris

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven’t noticed the noise on my Pilot yet. I guess I’m use to hearing the noise because I had the same noise on my 98 Accord V6 Coupe. It never became a problem - just another personality quirk as “xyzzy” stated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts