Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 EX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on these forums. I just bought a 2008 EX with 145k miles. It’s in great shape. I’m no stranger to Honda’s or forums. I also have an Element and am active on that forum. Happy to be here.
The rear air blower (back of the center console) isn’t working. I’ve pushed every button on the air controls up front and still no air. I’m not familiar with the Pilot yet or what may be a simple or complex problem. Some things seem to translate over from the Element but not this particular issue. I have done some searching around in the forums about this but haven’t found the correct thread. Most threads are about rebuilding electrical components, and don’t mention what the symptoms were or how it was diagnosed.
I’d love to know where to star with this problem. Looking for insight and direction to existing threads.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
I don't know, But Welcome to the Forum!

So, I guess you're not in your Element now? LOL (joke about your Element?)

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
If all fuses/relays have been checked, I'd hot wire the fan motor to make sure it worked, if that proves ok, I'd likely change out the resistor assuming the switch on the dash is ok.
Aftermarket blower motor and resistor available on RockAuto.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is my first post on these forums. I just bought a 2008 EX with 145k miles. It’s in great shape. I’m no stranger to Honda’s or forums. I also have an Element and am active on that forum. Happy to be here.
The rear air blower (back of the center console) isn’t working. I’ve pushed every button on the air controls up front and still no air. I’m not familiar with the Pilot yet or what may be a simple or complex problem. Some things seem to translate over from the Element but not this particular issue. I have done some searching around in the forums about this but haven’t found the correct thread. Most threads are about rebuilding electrical components, and don’t mention what the symptoms were or how it was diagnosed.
I’d love to know where to star with this problem. Looking for insight and direction to existing threads.
Thanks!
remove the panel from the driver side of the console, clean the screen. If the fan isn't running, agree test the fan, replace the resister.

·
Registered
2008 EX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks y’all! I’ll check fuses, relay, clean the fan, and check the motor. If any of those don’t work, I’ll assume it’s the capacitor? Will save that for last because it’s the hugest cost (besides the motor itself?).

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
Thanks y’all! I’ll check fuses, relay, clean the fan, and check the motor. If any of those don’t work, I’ll assume it’s the capacitor? Will save that for last because it’s the hugest cost (besides the motor itself?).
You got a Flux Capacitor?

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Make sure you order the correct module (resistor if LX; transistor if non-LX) based on the trim level of your Pilot if this part is the culprit. And clean the filter screen, as mentioned above, since lack of airflow across the module’s fins is its likely cause of failure.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Even if not worth a thousand words, sometimes a picture (or two) may help.

Remove the driver's side panel under the center console between the driver's seat and the gas pedal by grabbing it near the gas pedal and pulling it out as you work your way back toward the driver's seat. It's just clips and they will pop out.

However, it might very well be your rear blower thermistor (aka thermal resistor aka transistor). :)

Thermistor installation tips:
  1. Remove wiring harness connector.
  2. Depress little black metal tab just outside housing and rotate old thermistor clockwise so notches align and it pulls straight out easily.
  3. Install new thermistor by sliding in and rotating counterclockwise so notches no longer line up.
  4. Rebend little black metal tab to hold thermistor in place if necessary. It should snap into place.
  5. Reconnect wiring harness.
  6. Test. If it works you've just saved hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
Even if not worth a thousand words, sometimes a picture (or two) may help.

Remove the driver's side panel under the center console between the driver's seat and the gas pedal by grabbing it near the gas pedal and pulling it out as you work your way back toward the driver's seat. It's just clips and they will pop out.

However, it might very well be your rear blower thermistor (aka thermal resistor aka transistor). :)

Thermistor installation tips:
  1. Remove wiring harness connector.
  2. Depress little black metal tab just outside housing and rotate old thermistor clockwise so notches align and it pulls straight out easily.
  3. Install new thermistor by sliding in and rotating counterclockwise so notches no longer line up.
  4. Rebend little black metal tab to hold thermistor in place if necessary. It should snap into place.
  5. Reconnect wiring harness.
  6. Test. If it works you've just saved hundreds of dollars.
Banking $100s!

Reactions: CaptainAsYourPilot

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fixed this issue on my Pilot a few months back. I actually changed out the resistor, but it still didn't work. In my case, it was the rear blower motor that was bad. After I checked prices for parts through my local Honda dealer, I looked online instead as the price difference was about 4x more for Honda OEM. I bought some generic replacement parts off of Amazon, and it's been working great so far.

Here are the parts I purchased:
  1. Rear Blower Resistor for the 2003-2008 Honda Pilot
  2. Rear Blower Motor and Fan for the 2003-2008 Honda Pilot

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
i had the same issue when i bought my 04 pilot so i replaced the blower and resistor/ very simple to do by the way/ turned out the blower was bad and he NEW resitor was bad and the old was good!!
Where did you buy the bad resistor? Post a link so others can avoid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts