Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

90k, changed spark plugs and was surprised to see this. No oil burn between changes. No performance problems. Oil on threads in rear bank, no oil in plug well. Do I need to worry? Thanks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
What you see is the result of Honda’s brilliant (sarcasm) cylinder deactivation system (VCM) that allegedly saves 1mpg.

You should disable your VCM ASAP if you haven’t already. Tons of threads here on the topic. I’d recommend the s-vcm or vcm tuner 2... both of which are about $100 bux and may save you from an engine rebuild and damage to your catalytic converters.

Honestly yours are not too bad, so new plugs and disabling that junk should keep you running great for a long time.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
It's good that you have no oil in your spark plug tubes. But those black insulators and electrodes are signs of excess oil in those cylinders. This is what VCM causes. I spent $95 times 3 vehicles for S-VCM . Whished I had known sooner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The plugs on the right look like they have a much smaller gap than the one on the left?? I just installed a S-VCM in our 2009 and changed the plugs (about 65k on them); thankfully all 6 of mine looked similar and better than those above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts