Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, after seeing many videos on the main cause the rear AC stops working (Blower motor resistor), I replaced the resistor and it is still not coming on. It actually comes on the first couple of times it is first installed, but then when I turn the car off and then on, it won't come back on. So I assume the fan, motor, fuses, are all working fine, since it blows fine but very randomly. The lights on the back console light up, you can control, but nothing blows out of vents. Checked the main fuses, and cleaned the mesh screen on the passenger side too, and the motor is not stuck, it turns by hand just fine.

I'm out of ideas.

2011 Honda Pilot EXL

Does anyone have the same experience?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2011 Pilot. I had my neighbor who is a mechanic look at everything with me. We checked the relays and the current to the blower motor and resistor. Best he could come up with was that the resistor needed to be replaced as he couldn't pinpoint the problem. I replaced the resistor today and there was no change. I don't want to take out the center console to replace the blower motor but it looks like that is what I am going to have to try next.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2011 Pilot. I had my neighbor who is a mechanic look at everything with me. We checked the relays and the current to the blower motor and resistor. Best he could come up with was that the resistor needed to be replaced as he couldn't pinpoint the problem. I replaced the resistor today and there was no change. I don't want to take out the center console to replace the blower motor but it looks like that is what I am going to have to try next.
Possibly in the switch if the fan intermittently works?

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's been a while, but I remember that job being very fussy.

I used shrink wrap on the legs of the new resistor to ensure no shorts. It's also not difficult to damage a resistor by over-heating from the iron.

I don't mean to imply that you're not an ace electronics tech - it's just that I'm not. If I had seen your symptoms, the first thing I would have done is re-do the job with a new resistor before I started going deeper into the console.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not very experienced with Pilots because I haven't owned mine long. But my experience with other vehicles would give you this progression.

1. Power at the switch? no = power problem check fuse, yes= go to #2
2. power at the resistor? no = switch problem, yes= got to #3
3. power at the fan? no = resistor problem, yes = motor problem

As a general rule, if the fan comes on but only at one speed, its the resistor. If the fan doesn't come on, its the motor. The only time I had to replace the resistor in a no-fan situation, it was because I needed both the fan and the resistor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts