Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a weird issue with my 2004 EX. About 6 months ago I replaced the transistor for the rear A/C as it wasn't blowing any air, and that was resolved. Lately, the fans in the front were making a loud high pitched sound when the fan was on high. This would go away if you turn the A/C system off or turn the fan speed down. Just this past weekend though, it started making that sound, and I pushed the off button and it was still going. I replaced the cabin air filter, and that seems to have resolved the sound, but even when the A/C is turned off on the front dash, there is air blowing out of the rear vents. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,823 Posts
Your rear transistor module may have failed again. Did you clean off the round mesh filter when you replaced the module? If no, perhaps the module overheated.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,823 Posts
Also it wasn’t clear to me which fan is making the noise. Perhaps its bearings are starting to fail resulting in the noises you are hearing. Might be time to replace the fan (or clean lint/crud off the wheel if that’s the case).
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I'm having a weird issue with my 2004 EX. About 6 months ago I replaced the transistor for the rear A/C as it wasn't blowing any air, and that was resolved. Lately, the fans in the front were making a loud high pitched sound when the fan was on high. This would go away if you turn the A/C system off or turn the fan speed down. Just this past weekend though, it started making that sound, and I pushed the off button and it was still going. I replaced the cabin air filter, and that seems to have resolved the sound, but even when the A/C is turned off on the front dash, there is air blowing out of the rear vents. anyone have any ideas?
Back in the old days the blower motor (fan) was #1 suspect for whiny screeching at all or some speeds. Leaky blend doors with crumbling foam seals might be why you feel the breeze with systems off.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
The rear blower can revert to always on full blast if the thermistor has shorted, usually because the legs haven't been properly insulated. You'll need a new screw-in thermistor module -- these are pretty cheap off eBay these days, though I'd check if the actual thermistor's legs are proeprly insulated, as these can sometimes be hit or miss as you've now learned. Otherwise, and even cheaper if you can solder, is to replace the themistor itself inside the module and make sure yourself the legs are well insulated (shown below in red).

79330s3va51 | eBay

10Pcs Panasonic Thermal Link Fuse Axial Cutoff 114℃ 2A 250V EYP2B N109 L | eBay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts