Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what is the best quality "tool" for disabling the VCM on a 2010 Honda Pilot? I have a 2010 with about 88,000 miles and I have owned since day 1. It does use (lose) oil, and I have used 5W20 Mobil 1 extended oil (every 5k miles) for the life of the engine. I am getting ready to have the plugs, pcv valve, water pump, timing belt and drive belt done. I have also had the trans fluid and rear differential changed about 4 times. I am hoping to get another 100k out of it .......

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I think the S-VCM is currently the best balance of simplicity, cost and overheat protection. I have VCMuzzler but will be switching to S-VCM this summer.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
There are 2 VCM disabling devices that seem to be popular. I use S-VCM, there is another called VCM Muzzler II.
I know how brand loyalty can be when it comes to using oil. I'd highly recommend discontinuing using Extended Performance oil. I found myself having to top off my oil quite often. Was having a huge problem with emission codes. Oil making it's way into the exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I know how brand loyalty can be when it comes to using oil. I'd highly recommend discontinuing using Extended Performance oil. I found myself having to top off my oil quite often. Was having a huge problem with emission codes. Oil making it's way into the exhaust system.
I support this statement. Spend an hour or so digging around on BITOG about oils and settle on one of them. As far as full synthetic oils go, the M1 EP is one of the worst. M1 HM has a great additive package so I use it after 100k miles and I use the standard M1 before that time. But Shell Rotella, Penzoil Platinum, Kirkland, Amazon Basics, etc. have all been doing very well in testing.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I support this statement. Spend an hour or so digging around on BITOG about oils and settle on one of them. As far as full synthetic oils go, the M1 EP is one of the worst. M1 HM has a great additive package so I use it after 100k miles and I use the standard M1 before that time. But Shell Rotella, Penzoil Platinum, Kirkland, Amazon Basics, etc. have all been doing very well in testing.
Just some evidence for what you have stated. I'm using the Shell but I'd be happy to use the Penzoil Ultra Platinum too. Project Farm Guy FTW.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Are you DIYing?
The brand of parts you choose can make a difference.

·
Registered
753 Posts
S-VCM or VCM Tuner 2 are the two best options in my opinion. You wouldn’t go wrong with either. I have the s-vcm and it’s perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you DIYing?
Are you DIYing?
I am not doing the water pump, timing belt job. A local shop I have had for years is doing it. I purchased all DAYCO branded products and NGK Spark Plugs (OEM). I have dealt with Dayco for close to 40 years and have never had a problem with their parts. I purchased the Timing kit and the drive belt kit. I also bought the 3 timing seals separately. I liked that the kit included the bolt you need to replace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are 2 VCM disabling devices that seem to be popular. I use S-VCM, there is another called VCM Muzzler II.
I will take a look at Mobil 1 High Mileage, will it harm to move up to 5W30 from 5W20 ???

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I will take a look at Mobil 1 High Mileage, will it harm to move up to 5W30 from 5W20 ???
I would not change to 5w30. I found it made my vehicle feel like it was under more of a load. Sluggish.
High Milage oil is great if your having difficulty with oil leaks. It conditions oil seals. 88k miles I wouldn't consider high milage, but the age may play a part.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I am not doing the water pump, timing belt job. A local shop I have had for years is doing it. I purchased all DAYCO branded products and NGK Spark Plugs (OEM). I have dealt with Dayco for close to 40 years and have never had a problem with their parts. I purchased the Timing kit and the drive belt kit. I also bought the 3 timing seals separately. I liked that the kit included the bolt you need to replace.
I've heard of the Dayco kit. Maybe you can share what brand of parts are in it. Few have talked about it on the forum. We'd be very interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts