Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

PassportForums.com - The Largest 2019+ Honda Passport Forum, Community And Owner's Club

I’ve been on YouTube and looking up all the articles about the new Passport. I want one! I have a ‘17 Pilot EXL. I called the guy we’ve bought all our Honda’s from and told him to let me know when they will hit the lot for a test drive.
I like the sporty look (black wheels, dual exhaust, higher suspension) we don’t have kids, so no need for 3rd row. And the only reason we went with the Pilot to begin with was because the CRV was cramped.

Anyone else looking to switch?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hate to say it But Yes We are seriously considering this one to replace one of our 2006's ... This will be the Boss's new ride she loves the package's that are available for it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
it would certainly be on my list of vehicles to test drive. I don't have a specific type of car I want to buy...so my list (cross shopping wise) is all over the place.

Looking forward for the pricing and all the other options/colors they'll be offering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sold my BMW two months ago, driving my Daughter's 2016 Accord while she is away at college. My plan is to get an SUV around May-2019 (right before she comes home for summer). My first choice would have been a 4-Runner (had a 1998 one for 17 years), but there has not been a major upgrade on it in something like 9 or 10 years.

Up until Nov. 27th, I was worried I would have to settle for the 2019 RAV 4 Adventure, but it has a few issues I don't like and fully loaded (without leather or a 6cyl engine) tops out at just under $41k.

So when Honda unveiled the 2019 Passport, it has been checking-off nearly all the boxes on my wish list, so heck yeah, I'm down for one, so I can go camping next summer!

cheers

(Also had a 1978 Accord Hatchback, a 1985 Prelude and a 1994 Accord EX)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm coming from traditional BOF off-roaders. Looking hard at the Passport.

I've owned several traditional body-on-frame and/or solid axle off-roaders for almost 20 years. I've owned several dedicated off-road machines, including a Nissan Hardbody with a mild lift, an XJ Jeep Cherokee, a Jeep Grand checrokee, back when it they had solid front and rear axles, a TJ Jeep Wrangler, and currently, an aging Nissan Xterra.

I don't off-road like I used to, but I still require some off-road capability. And, let's face it...as we get older (I'm approaching 47), we all like to have something that rides well, with smooth acceleration, good fuel economy and lots of creature comforts.

After 20 years of off-roading experience, I'm here to say that the new 4WD/AWD systems are fantastic and way better than most purists give them credit for (Unlike those heathenistic Luddites, I welcome our new techological overlords). Seeing a vehicle lift a wheel completely off the ground and continue moving forward is something that you used to see only in expensive, purpose built off-roaders. After watching videos extensively on both the Subaru (the other vehicle that I was looking at) and Honda systems, I believe Honda has them beat. Real Time AWD is probably the best system going. As long as you can get traction, you keep moving.

And, that brings me to the only reservation that I have about the new Passport. What kind of bonehead move was it to limit the tire choice by only offering 20" wheels? You can't get any kind of decent all-terrain tire in a 20" size, so the Passport is going to be handicapped from the get go. That is SO disappointing to me. I can't understand the thinking to engineer and sell this thing as an offroad vehicle and only be able to fit all-season tires.

Unless a different option is offered or found (like, maybe, retrofitting 18" Pilot wheels), then I'm not risking buying this thing and taking it anywhere off the pavement. Bent rims and tires that can't be "aired down" for extra traction doesn't sound like something I can deal with. Any kind of decent off-roader needs to have enough rubber between the rim and the road to allow for running at low pressures and still having enough space to protect the rim.

This is so disappointing. Honda could be pulling people like myself, who aren't really interested in living with a cramped, inefficient, rough-riding vehicle just to gain any kind of off-road performance. I'm not really interested in a Toyota 4Runner, but if that's what it takes just to be able to get to my camp without worrying every time I drop a wheel into a pothole, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.

It's so sad, though, to see Honda get so close and then seriously miss the mark on this. And it shouldn't require any new engineering...just offer the same setup you have on the Pilot if you don't already, and add the 18" wheels as an option.

Please, Honda...are you listening? Please offer an 18" wheel option for those of us moving from traditional SUV's so we can run a tire that will really show off the capability of the vehicle.

Sorry about the rant. I tried to contact Honda about this, but they don't seem to have an easy way to send them a message unless you have a Honda VIN...another problem, AFAIC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was waiting for this type of vehicle from Honda for a long time. I have 2007 Accord which needs replaced and planned to buy an AWD vehicle (long uphill driveway, New England). I was planning to go to the dealership on Thanksgiving week to get a Pilot and already got car loan pre-approved. However, with one kid, I do not want to haul a third row around. I'd rather have more room in a back. I'm glad the news about Passport came earlier.

Like always in life, there is no ideal, everything is compromise. For me, Passport EX-L gets pretty close to "check all the boxes". As for many, my only big gripe is about /50-R20 wheels. I agree with everyone who already said that it is not smart to position vehicle as advanced off road worthy and put such low profile tires on it. Honda might revisit this decision at some point later. However, for myself, I doubt I will be waiting for it. The solution is simple: replace them.

According to the Tire Size Calculator (Tyre Size Calculator) when you do their "Tyre Comparison" for 245/50-R20 and 245/60-R18, they come out as pretty much identical (with one revolution per mile difference) and not affecting speedometer. So, a set of Honda 18" Diamond Cut Alloy Wheel (Pilot, Ridgeline) at ~$270-280 a piece and a set of Michelin Defender LTX at ~$200 a piece will fit the bill. So, it is total of ~$2000 minus whatever I can recover for original wheels/tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why do you suppose they DID go with 20" wheels for this vehicle?

Because 20" is considered "premium". Notice how they mention this as a feature everywhere that they talk about it?

For people moving "up" in capability from an ordinary CUV to something more rugged, they may not understand the implications of trying to run a low profile tire on an off-road vehicle. All they know is "20's are better than 18's".

But for someone stepping down from a true off-road vehicle to something more comfortable but with some off-road ability, 20's definitely aren't a step up. They're not as forgiving of airing-down, they're not as protective of the rims, and they don't provide as comfortable of a ride as 18s.

As for swapping the wheels out with Pilot wheels, we'll have to wait for someone to actually try this. Never know if perhaps Honda used a different set of calipers/rotors that may not allow an 18" wheel.

If it works, though, as Sib said, that's the answer, apart from Honda figuring it out and doing the right thing...lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, since you've asked, IMHO Honda chose 20" wheels for two reasons: 1) Those who designed the Passport know that the vast majority of them will never be driven on a dirt road, much less off-road; and that 2) consequently, rather than cater to those who might actually drive theirs off-road a handful of times, Honda chose instead to focus on the aesthetics of filling the wheel wells for the benefit of those who won't. Eighteen-inch wheels would look much, much smaller, and 17" wheels would looks like compact spare tires. More to the point, most of those who will be attracted to the image that Honda is selling/projecting with the Passport won't have any idea that the wheel-and-tire combination Honda chose is almost totally unsuitable for off-roading. It simply will never occur to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, since you've asked, IMHO Honda chose 20" wheels for two reasons: 1) Those who designed the Passport know that the vast majority of them will never be driven on a dirt road, much less off-road; and that 2) consequently, rather than cater to those who might actually drive theirs off-road a handful of times, Honda chose instead to focus on the aesthetics of filling the wheel wells for the benefit of those who won't. Eighteen-inch wheels would look much, much smaller, and 17" wheels would looks like compact spare tires. More to the point, most of those who will be attracted to the image that Honda is selling/projecting with the Passport won't have any idea that the wheel-and-tire combination Honda chose is almost totally unsuitable for off-roading. It simply will never occur to them.

I get it. For the most part, the people who are getting this vehicle probably have no experience off-roading, nor do they have the desire to learn about it. For the 1-2 times over their ownership of the vehicle, the 20's will probably be fine.

But I don't see how offering 18's isn't a win for everyone, especially if no engineering is involved to achieve it. Again, there are a bunch of people out there who are refugees from traditional SUV's (myself being among them) and would just like maybe a concession toward this. I believe more people than you realize are going to be cross shopping this with a 4Runner and possibly leaning in this direction. If Honda offers a delete option:

Those who want 20's get 20's.

Those who want 18's can save a few bucks, as can Honda, and get a more suitable tire on their vehicle.

Seems trivial, but I'm sure that Honda isn't anticipating that people will want them. And maybe they're right, but maybe again they don't realize. But, it still seems to me that they could at least be offered with little to no impact to Honda's bottom line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just repeating what has been said above: marketing above engineering (and common sense).

Here is my take.
This vehicle is clearly positioned for "active adults", the same category the Subaru is after. Those fall into two subcategory, the younger one, with no kids yet, and older one, with no kids already ("empty nesters"). In both subcategories Honda is after the people with somewhat higher level of income and not necessarily good sense of what they want/need: 20" wheels play into this. The marketing was probably "scraping at the bottom of the barrel" trying to find a "flashy" bullet points to separate this vehicle from the competition and 20" wheels was one of such points.
BTW, based on all of the above, I would not be surprised if Passport will be priced slightly above the equivalent Pilot trims.

As for swapping the wheels: based on the photos/specs I see so far and also judging from the fact that Honda didn't do anything about brakes in MMC Pilot (I just checked the parts numbers on Bernardi Parts), I doubt that breaks on Passport will be any different from the Pilot. At the end of the day, this is expected to be a couple of hundred pounds lighter vehicle than the Pilot so why change the brakes? This is generally very smart move for Honda: tap into a different SUV segment with very high level of reuse of existing parts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's so sad, though, to see Honda get so close and then seriously miss the mark on this. And it shouldn't require any new engineering...just offer the same setup you have on the Pilot if you don't already, and add the 18" wheels as an option. .
If nothing the decisions made at Honda are just quirky. One of the reasons I'm getting a Pilot (trading in my CR-V) is for the safety features offered on the EX-L. I would have seriously considered the Ridgeline yet they still don't have a volume control knob (might be silly but it just bothers me). Also the RL doesn't offer the safety features I will have on the Pilot EX-L and currently have on my CR-V until you move up to the RTL-E which comes in over 40K. Even the sales guy I was dealing with said Honda made a big mistake on this. He's been questioned about it dozens of time by potiental buyers.

The passport does look interesting especially since I don't need 3rd row seats. I'll put them down in the Pilot when I get it and they will be that way until I sell it lol. Buying a first year production car is a crap shoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First Passport post! Very interested in this vehicle now. We've been in the market for a compact SUV (CR-V or RAV4) but holding off for various reasons (CR-V 1.5T oil dilution concerns and RAV4 1st year model and no Android Auto yet). We've had a great experience with our 2006 Pilot and I have a lot of confidence (love?) for the J35 V6. I know the Passport won't be as fuel efficient as the smaller crossovers, but it brings the size and power that we love for travel and utility. Towing capability may be needed in the future. Anyhow, we don't want the length or 3rd row of the Pilot. So hello, Passport. EX-L is probably the sweet spot for us.

I agree with what's been said so far about the 20" wheels. I also would like a factory 18" option, but at least DIY downsizing is a possibility. So what 18" OEM wheels would look cool on the Passport? We need some Passport photoshops with Pilot and Ridgeline wheels.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would have seriously considered the Ridgeline yet they still don't have a volume control knob (might be silly but it just bothers me).

The passport does look interesting especially since I don't need 3rd row seats. I'll put them down in the Pilot when I get it and they will be that way until I sell it lol.

Buying a first year production car is a crap shoot.
Don't even get me started on that volume knob. Call me whatever you wanna call me, but I won't buy a car without one. If Honda didn't add it back in, I wasn't buying a Honda. Period.

I completely agree about the 3rd row. Nice to have if needed, but almost never needed.

Concerning the 1st year production thing, typically I would agree. But in the case of the Passport, I feel like we're sorta getting a Pilot. Same guts, made in the same plant, etc.
So it's not *exactly* the 1st year of production. I could be wrong about that, but I hope I'm not! 🙂

·
Registered
1 Posts
Because of a 40 mile rough dirt road in Mexico that I'll drive 4-5 times a year at high speed I'll be swapping rims/tires asap. Thinking more about 17" wheels and 245/74R17 all-terrain tires to maximize the sidewall rubber. Airing down on those long washboard roads makes a huge driving comfort difference. The stock Passport tires are 30.6" tall and 245/75R17 tires are 31.5" so will also gain .5" of clearance. Finding a decent wheel that has the right dimensions will be a research project no doubt.

My minor gripe with the Passport is no low speed follow ACC. In fact I find that really irritating and the Rav4 Adventure has it.

My gripe with the Rav4 Adventure is the rear seats don't fold flat. Oh, the marketing text says they do but the pictures tell a different story. It's clear the Passport has flat folding rears. The Rav4 IMO looks nicer and has more technology standard and gets great mileage. But Passport has 280HP and I'm guessing can take more of a punishment due to it's Ridgeline roots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My gripe with the Rav4 Adventure is the rear seats don't fold flat.
Ha, I'm in that thread on RAV4WORLD (as TNGA). Lack of Android Auto and limited cargo capability are what have me considering the Passport. The RAV4 checks in with 19" wheels on 55-series tires, so it also follows the over-sized wheels trend. Fuel economy would be my trade-off for going with the Passport.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If nothing the decisions made at Honda are just quirky. One of the reasons I'm getting a Pilot (trading in my CR-V) is for the safety features offered on the EX-L. I would have seriously considered the Ridgeline yet they still don't have a volume control knob (might be silly but it just bothers me). Also the RL doesn't offer the safety features I will have on the Pilot EX-L and currently have on my CR-V until you move up to the RTL-E which comes in over 40K. Even the sales guy I was dealing with said Honda made a big mistake on this. He's been questioned about it dozens of time by potiental buyers.

The passport does look interesting especially since I don't need 3rd row seats. I'll put them down in the Pilot when I get it and they will be that way until I sell it lol. Buying a first year production car is a crap shoot.
I think that almost all manufacturers go through the same motion on a first production. There's gonna be a lot of hits and misses...so the first year buyers get to be the "test group" on what works, likes/dislikes, and then they adjust accordingly with the following models.

I, for one don't like the push button gear selector. Potential buyers have their own tipping point/deal breakers when it comes to purchasing cars.

There's always that "one thing" that will push you either away from or towards buying the Passport.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I, for one don't like the push button gear selector.
Same here. I don't like the push button gear selector. I don't like the auto-off thing that I'll want/need to disable EVERY time I start the car. And I'm not crazy about the 9-speed transmission. In fact, when I was set on buying a Pilot I was gonna get an EX-L since it has a 6-speed transmission, a regular gear shift, and no auto-off thing. BUT... I'm really starting to like other factors of the Passport so I might just have to deal with all of the above.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts