Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seeking to learn if the Timing belt was changed when I bought a 2006 Pilot with just 71,000 miles on it.. I emailed the Last Honda Shop where it had a Service Record in 2017 at 62,000 miles... The service manager was kind enough to blot out the previous owners name and share the entire Invoice breakdown with me... but dismayed to read that a re manufactured engine FROM LKQ was put in there (cost $3,525)! I looked up reviews for this company... horrendous [email protected]# ...less than 2 stars, on BBB 48 negatives...

Sounds like I still need to do the belt.. should I be worried about how long this engine will last us ? anyone had a Remanufactured engine from them..if we start having problems, what is the best thing to do.. get it rebuilt from who ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wouldn't a remanufactured engine have a new timing belt in it ?? The Service manager did not say anything about that ...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wouldn't a remanufactured engine have a new timing belt in it ?? The Service manager did not say anything about that ...
Try contacting LKQ and ask them if the belt was replaced as part of their reman procedure. Of course, they would probably use the cheapest parts available, so you might want to replace the belt at 100k anyway. Any chance of a warranty still valid on the reman?

i just took a quick look at the LKQ website. Are you sure this is a reman engine, or is it a recycled (used) engine? Their recycled engine warranty specifically excludes timing belt coverage, and specifies that the installer should replace the belt at time of installation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did call LKQ, sounds like belts are NOT part of something they replace.. no warranty on belts.. this was back in 9-2017...so if it clearly says "REMAN ENGINE" on this Invoice -- this is not from a Salvage yard.. but replaced with a remanufactured engine?? ... I guess that's better than from a junk yard.. they also replaced A/C compressor... I am wondering if this Pilot I bought is a Lemon at this point!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why wouldn't this be mentioned on the CAR FAX... literally all it says on the CAR FAX is : "Vehicle Serviced, -Maintenance inspection completed- Right air bag assembly replaced" PERIOD... nothing about a remanufactured engine or A/c Compressor ... should this have been on the CarFax... if one gets a SALVAGED ENGINE, it is law to put it on the CarFax, but not a Remanufactured engine ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So.... if this was indeed a remanufactured Engine.. that means the HONDA SHOP never OPENED IT UP to even see the timing belt.. but just replaced the whole engine, so that's why I probably need to get it done.. as LKQ reviews are horrendous and I surely can not trust them to use new parts.. even the lady on the phone made it sound like they "machine" the parts, clean them up and put them in these "REMAN" engines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The invoice I got is from a bonafide Honda Shop in Harrisburg ... they are the ones who put that very vague description on the CarFax.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There are a TON of companies that use "LKQ" in their name, as this is an industry term for "like and kind quality". They "source" the parts from the available market. The most common source of your engine would be a used engine from a wrecking yard. The second most common source would be from a JDM source (imported Japanese Domestic Market). Neither of these would concern me. If it is truly a reman, ugh.... there is no telling how long the engine will last, as builders vary. Probably going to be impossible to find out. The good news is, they put 9,000 miles on it after the engine was installed, and if it isnt making any bad noises, it's probably ok. The down-side is, you thought you were getting a super low miles original vehicle. But when you aren't buying from the original owners, you never know what you are buying. Most people would buy that car and never have a clue or thought about that engine.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle, then yes, I'd put a timing belt, water pump, new timing belt pulleys, new pulley bolts, a tensioner, and a new drive belt on it. If it is a FWD model, I'd disable the VCM.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Used vehicles are always buyer beware and CarFax can be a good reference but may not capture all the data as you've experienced. At this point with the Pilot running well continue routine maintenance and enjoy the ride. Rebuilt/used motor are not always a problem and could turn out fine. Change the timing belt for peace of mind but timing belt service is usually at 100K. My dealer offered a timing belt service coupled with the water pump, belts and tensioner package deal since all parts are accessed at that time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Change the timing belt for peace of mind but timing belt service is usually at 100K.
He has no idea what the mileage was on the engine that was installed. If it was remanufactured it is a new belt of unknown origin/brand. If it is a used or JDM engine, then the mileage is unknown.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what it says on the invoice at the top -- does this sound like the original engine had the TIMING BELT BRAKE - but they didn't list this ... "A C/S that the vehicle had shut off while driving, did make a noise and every light on the dashboard flashed beforehand . Misc replace the engine with remanufactured engine from LKQ ". (next line says) "329966 CA".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe it was in an accident, which took out the motor and ac compressor. Did you buy it from a Honda dealer or a solo shop? Solos buy wrecked vehicles (with good titles) from wholesale auctions and repair them to flip them. I doubt a honda dealer would install a remanufactured motor and sell it without disclosing such.

Side story: I traded a 2014 odyssey touring in pristine condition and 73k miles but that had a cracked head (manuf. defect) to a dealer, and although the service dept. repaired it after we traded, the sales dept. told us they were not wanting to put their reputations on the line by selling it. I would have kept that van had Honda agreed to put a remanufactured engine in it instead of the patch job and flush it did to get the coolant out of the engine bearings, the oil out of the radiator, heater cores, and hoses, and the van back on the road. I suspect it will be sold via some auction if it has not already been, and some nice family will buy it from the independent used car lot. They won't understand why the coolant still shows oil in it, or why the bearings start making noise prematurely down the road. The dealer told me that at most the carfax will say "head work." New owner will have to do what you did and start researching to find out more.

Hopefully you got the Pilot for a good price in light of it having a reman'd engine. If so, I would drive it and not worry. I would definitely get the timing belt and its accessories replaced asap though, as well as muzzle it.

Good luck,
M.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then down below after all the listings of things replaced, down (also a thermostat was replaced) it says : "0 replaced the engine assembly with remanufactured engine assembly from LKQ, replaced the A/C compressor assembly for A/C concern. Test drove vehicle all Ok at this time "

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... got PILOT from small dealer lot (not good reviews) but the Price was outstanding $7,700 for 2006 Pilot with 71,000 miles on it...No Rust...ran great but again this was just a 15 min test drive., we took a chance, beings the car fax was 1 owner and CLEAN... .. heck he had the same CAR FAX I have.. how would he have known (from Pittsburgh PA) that the Harrisburg Honda shop , 8 hrs away, put in a Remanufactured engine in it - Seems this Honda SHOP SHOULD HAVE listed this on the Car Fax......

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
803 Posts
It's not immediately horrible that it had a rebuilt engine put in, you should just figure out why it was replaced. I typically don't suggest buying a car after a 15 minute test drive. I usually need to drive it for an hour and most likely have it inspected by my mechanic. The car is barely warmed up by 15 minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've driven it a good 4 hrs by now... it runs great.. it did have the obd11 code for a Cat converter come up... so that may be something we need in the future.. paid our local honda shop $100 to check it out.. and that's the only code ...had it cleared and it hasn't come back...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have installed my fair share of used/reman engines and transmissions. If it is running ok and not using oil I would not worry about it. I would change the spark plugs timing belt and water pump since you can’t verify the age. Other than not knowing about it before you bought the car it would be a nonissue for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THank you Huntertn for your reply.. since you do this sort of work... do you have any opinions on LKQ engines though... BBB has 43 complaints.. and if you look this company up... I feel they have to be the worst of the worst... it is a legitimate company that sells these. I just wish the Engine came from somewhere else , with a better reputation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts