Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I have a 2007 pilot awd with 215k on it! Still running good, but about 10k ago I developed a rattle when I hit the gas. Especially if I back off the pedal and then gently re apply gas. Sounds like something is loose from the front right of the engine compartment but on the last oil change the dealer said nothing was loose.
I’m taking it back tomorrow, but curious if anyone has experienced this ?

tim

·
Registered
826 Posts
Could be engine knock (preignition). Cause is usually build up of carbon in the combustion chamber. Try a tank of premium gas. If the knock goes away with premium, it's preignition.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It sounds like rusted-out catalytic converter heat shield of which there are several. They typically rust away from where the bolts hold them down so they're known to vibrate at certain RPM's or engine load. I've had to deal with this problem several times on my '05.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like rusted-out catalytic converter heat shield of which there are several. They typically rust away from where the bolts hold them down so they're known to vibrate at certain RPM's or engine load. I've had to deal with this problem several times on my '05.
You nailed it! $80 fix. But I’ll take it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hello everyone.
I have a 2007 pilot awd with 215k on it! Still running good, but about 10k ago I developed a rattle when I hit the gas. Especially if I back off the pedal and then gently re apply gas. Sounds like something is loose from the front right of the engine compartment but on the last oil change the dealer said nothing was loose.
I’m taking it back tomorrow, but curious if anyone has experienced this ?

tim
How fast were you actually going to make things rattle ? :p… I had a similar issue ..turned out to be a rusted dust shield on the passenger front rotor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts