Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what this noise could be? The car drives great, transmission shifts smoothly, gas mileage is the same, and no visible leaks. I am hoping it's just a heat shield or some other loose component, but sometimes the way it sounds makes it seem like it's the transmission.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRw112tIGEhOXTxxou0_DrQ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry, but the video does not give enough detail to help diagnose. Can you post a longer video? Describe the problem: engine cold/hot, accelerating, decelerating, steady speed, all gears, etc.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does it regardless of engine temperature and is most prominent during accelerations from a dead stop. Above 3000 rpm's the noise almost disappears.

I drive long distances daily and it sounds like the noise is getting worse and worse. The transmission shifts smoothly, everything on the car drives perfectly. It's just a noise. I will try to take a better video, but the sound you hear in my video is the only symptom I have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would initially suspect a loose tie-rod or a worn engine mount. Need more audio, however.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sound is different! :)

It sounds as if something is either very loose or broken. Get the cardboard from a roll of paper towels and put it to your ear. Then direct the other end to your car and try to locate the source of the noise. (just be careful near the belts and fans.)

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news. On my lunch break the sound got even louder than the video, so I took it in and they suspect it to be a timing belt tensioner.

Is this a common problem on these?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not "common," but it does happen. The service interval is to have it replaced every 90K miles (along with the chain and water pump). Expect this to be about $1,000. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts