Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot and have been hearing this clunking/rattling sound coming from the front end. The sound comes mainly from the front passenger side while driving over bumps. Control arms replaced about a year ago because of bad compliance bushings so no problems with bushings or ball joints. End links replaced as well. I raised the vehicle and gave the tire a shake and don't feel any unwanted play in the tie rod end, and the boots look to be intact. I do here what sounds like a springy, clunking sound while shaking the tire.
Not sure what I've got here, maybe inner tie rod?
I do have a slight pull to that right side while driving.
Any information would be great.
Thank you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hello.
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot and have been hearing this clunking/rattling sound coming from the front end. The sound comes mainly from the front passenger side while driving over bumps. Control arms replaced about a year ago because of bad compliance bushings so no problems with bushings or ball joints. End links replaced as well. I raised the vehicle and gave the tire a shake and don't feel any unwanted play in the tie rod end, and the boots look to be intact. I do here what sounds like a springy, clunking sound while shaking the tire.
Not sure what I've got here, maybe inner tie rod?
I do have a slight pull to that right side while driving.
Any information would be great.
Thank you.
How many miles on your Pilot? Yes, you may have a worn tie rod end. Jack up the front end and grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Push with one arm while you pull with the other, and then reverse the pressure. Looseness is probably tie rod ends, could be inner or outer. This same test at 6 and 12 is for the lower ball joint.

The sway bar bushings are usually suspect as well. They might look ok at first glance, but just a small bit of slop can cause some big clunking noises.

And the front strut top mounting plates (bearings) can wear out and rattle and clunk as well. I think Honda OEM struts are good for about 100k, depending on your local road conditions.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would suspect the strut top plate. I had a similar sounds on rough pavement. Replaced front struts and it's been great since.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sway bar bushings, sway bar links, strut mounts - in this order of probability.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The sound comes mainly from the front passenger side while driving over bumps. Control arms replaced about a year ago because of bad compliance bushings so no problems with bushings or ball joints. End links replaced as well. I raised the vehicle and gave the tire a shake and don't feel any unwanted play in the tie rod end, and the boots look to be intact.
This sounds exactly like my car, the sound from the front passenger side when going over bumps. I too had my control arms replaced twice for the compliance bushings, and I recently replaced the end links. I can't find any free play with the tie rod, but I'm not sure I'm getting enough leverage on them to really feel if they're loose.

I suspect my issue is the struts or strut mounts. I'm going to be replacing them soon as they have 100K miles on them now. Please keep us updated with the outcome of your issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies, it was great help in diagnosing this noise. I turns out that it is the strut mount. I had my daughter stand on the inside with the door open and jump up and down. The passenger side mount felt very clunky when I held my hand over top of the strut mount. The driver side strut mount felt very smooth.
Again, thanks to everyone for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts