Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been ignoring it for quite a while and finally did something about it. At first I heard a chirping, light random squeak over some bumps from what I thought was the rear wiper area. It sounded like the motor bolts were loose (IMO). I put it off and figured if it got worse I would look into it. Well, after a few months it developed into a full blown, consistent rattle. Come to find out, the screws for the hatch, (lid, back-door...whatever you would like to call it)...had become so loose, that one of the three had fallen out. This was an easy fix. Two plastic set screws on each side of the latch and a firm, but easy pull on the plastic panel allowed enough access to the screws to perform the repair/fix. I suspect that either the body shop that did the repairs over a year ago did not tighten these properly or that just over time the screws worked loose. Anyway, I plan to replace two of the trans switches tomorrow to address a shift quality issue. Hope this might help others. Take care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Confirmed accurate

My 2006 Pilot started squeaking from the back cargo door going over bumps and whatnot. 10 minute fix as stated. Remove the two plastic screws/grommet thingys, pull the plastic down and stick a screwdriver in to hold it, and tighten the three metal screws on the latch. I used loctite to prevent future loosening.

I was going to post a picture but I can't because of rules. Whatevs.

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
Similar squeaking here. Was trying to hone in on the source, but it's not so easy while driving.

Do try to post that pic.

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
I loves this forum. Had it not been for this thread, I don't know if I would ever have pinpointed the source of that chirping / squeaking coming from the rear recently that was starting to get the better of my OCD. Having the better half sit in the third row to listen yielded little more than, "It's coming from back here somewhere."

Based on these previous posts, I just went at it, and sure enough it's actually an easy fix -- provided you know where it is and how to go about it. In the spirit of giving back, I'll post some (sorry, slightly crappy) pictures that I went back and took so as to help anyone else who might have this small but annoying problem. At first, I tried the two Phillips screws on the left and they were OK, so I was starting to think maybe this is not what my problem is, but then the single Phillips screw on the right was indeed loose, so I tightened it up.

Credit where credit it due: thanks to the pioneers of this fix / thread. :smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,595 Posts
Glad you caught it. Allow it to go too long and the tailgate will refuse to latch.
Posted on this issue perhaps two years ago. On vacation of course. So I bought more tools!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you Thank you Thank you.
I tried everything to figure out where the annoying "metal on metal" or "metal on glass" rattling noise was coming from. Then I found this thread and it solved the problem. All 3 screws were loose. So happy. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.