Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, finally got around to the timing belt and water pump replacement. Everything went well, took my time and was very patient as not to damage anything. I went ahead and did the valve adjustments as well, (92k miles) Only had 1 or 2 slightly out. I also went ahead and and replaced the plugs as well while I was there. Pilot has been running fine until last week, works been done a month. The vehicle hiccupped and threw a misfire and multiple codes. She pulled over, turned of and restarted and all was good until yesterday. Same thing, this time restart didn't fix. U0416-68, U0199, U0401 and U0304. I scanned and cleared and drove several times since. I checked all of my connections and all is good. You can feel a slight miss every so often and the scan tool shows the odd misfire. Upon doing some research I found a similar problem someone had on their Accord and it turned out to be a bad plug. I am thinking that even though I put NGK Iridiums back in they are not exact. I got the factory part number from Honda and cross referenced to the correct NGK plugs. I am thinking the misfire may be the culprit. Gonna change and see where I stand.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd guess a coil. Ngk's are pretty good plugs. At 90k miles, I've had coils go and cause misfiring. Buy one coil and keep swapping it out until the misfire stops.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The U codes you pulled are communication bus errors between modules. My guess is the mis fire is being caused by the communication bus errors. How old is your battery? These cars don’t like weak batteries.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
May I ask where you purchased your NGK spark plugs and what item number? There are some counterfeit out there.
I agree with checking/replacing the battery if original.
Misfire codes may qualify you for a set of free injectors at the dealership.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before you change the coil packs, try changing the coil boots. They're much cheaper than changing 6 coil packs. I had intermittent misfire problems for years. You can order them on rockauto.com or Napa. They're around $6/each. Make sure to get the coil boots with the springs in them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts