Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I bought a 2006 Honda Pilot with 210,000 miles on it with a check engine light on. It was running "fine", then would loose power for a few seconds , then pick up and run again. I attributed this to the oil pressure sensor as my Element did the same thing. I added a quart of motor medic to the oil, let it run five minutes then did an oil change. The issue went away and I thought I was home free. Then It started throwing the random mis fire codes at me. I changed the plugs and coil packs, cleared the codes and it ran a few days and the same code came back. I had a mechanic check the valves and he told me it had two bent rocker arms, which he replaced , then he set the valves back to spec and cleared the codes. A week later the check engine light came on again, same mis fire codes. I changed out the EGR valve, re set the computer and darn if the next night the check engine light came on again. Replaced the O2 sensors, cleared the codes, next night, you guessed it, the same random misfire codes came back up. I learned from the Honda dealer the man I bought the Pilot from had some how pit diesel fuel instead of gas in it and they had to drain the tank and get rid of the mixed fuel. Has any one else ever experienced the random mis fire codes? It shows mis fire on all cylinders, and I have yet to "feel" the car mis fire when driving it.

r

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,256 Posts
It may not be your problem, but an easy and cheap thing to check is if there is a crack in the air intake tube that gets bent when the air filter gets changed, as you can see in this video. Feel for cracks on the underside of the tube as well, especially near the left clamp.

https://d2n97g4vasjwsk.cloudfront.net/2006 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L V6/Air Filter Engine - Part 1 - 480p.mp4

In fact, I make it part of my air filter replacement routine to check for cracks all along that tube each time I finish putting in a new air filter.

Throwing Codes Left and Right

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
VVT solenoids are known to go bad at around your current milage. If your leaking oil around your oil filter housing the gasket could be failing and there is a screen filter that can become clogged. There is another set up on the head, drivers side. When these stop working properly, your engine runs rough because of timing. This can throw misfire codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked for any TSBs? There's NHTSA ID 10034971 (Honda TSB # SB-09-090) that talks about random engine misfires.
I called the local dealership this afternoon, and they are going to get me a copy of the TSB. Thanks for the heads up. When I went to the dealer they wanted to adjust the valves to factory settings. Oddly enough, my mechanic had already done that and I am still getting the same mis fire and random mis fire codes. I will be taking the TSB to my mechanic in the morning after I get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VVT solenoids are known to go bad at around your current milage. If your leaking oil around your oil filter housing the gasket could be failing and there is a screen filter that can become clogged. There is another set up on the head, drivers side. When these stop working properly, your engine runs rough because of timing. This can throw misfire codes.
Funny you should say that about the leaks as it just started leaking after I ran a quart of motor flush through it trying to clean those screens. Is there a test for the VVT solenoids before I go and buy a replacement? Hate buying parts with out knowing that is what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Funny you should say that about the leaks as it just started leaking after I ran a quart of motor flush through it trying to clean those screens. Is there a test for the VVT solenoids before I go and buy a replacement? Hate buying parts with out knowing that is what is wrong with it.
Well, since it's a part that usually only needs to be replaced once in a vehicles life time..., your over due. My advice is to replace along with the gaskets.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 8 of 8 Posts