Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Purchased a new 2019 Pilot Touring in November 2018 and the snap crackle popping sound started between 6,000 and 7,000 miles. And now started losing LCD intermittently. Sound has occurred a couple times with doors locking. I am being told this is probably a MOST Bus issue and a Service News Article (same thing as TSB?) was issued in March 2019 for 2019 Pilots, 2018-19 Odyssey's and 2019 Passports. Since it only applies to 2019 Pilots I wonder if this is a new issue unrelated to the problems with AC. We've only owned the vehicle for the winter months so we haven't even turned the AC on yet.

After connections checked and were fine I am told the next step is to replace the Tuner unit, Stereo Amplifier, Blue Ray Player and Two Wiring Harnesses.

I'll let you know how I make out after the parts are replaced.
This is just crazy. Unless the part numbers have revisions, replacing parts with existing designs will not solve the problem. The root cause is back-EMF. The resolution is a flyback diode as discussed in previous posts of this thread. Unless Honda R&D put in a diode into the schematic, wiring diagram, and ultimately the harness, this problem will persist.

I was replacing relays -- on my dime -- at $16/pop twice per year until I wired in the solution myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That may well be the proper resolution. But Honda will never do anything but replace existing parts to try and put a band aid on the problem. That way they can point their finger and blame the issue on defective parts. If they were to implement a fix such as adding a flyback diode that would be the smoking gun admitting there is a design defect. That would open Honda up to an enormous voluntary recall and/or a class action lawsuit. This has less to do with R&D and more to do with containing Honda's potential liability.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That may well be the proper resolution. But Honda will never do anything but replace existing parts to try and put a band aid on the problem. That way they can point their finger and blame the issue on defective parts. If they were to implement a fix such as adding a flyback diode that would be the smoking gun admitting there is a design defect. That would open Honda up to an enormous voluntary recall and/or a class action lawsuit. This has less to do with R&D and more to do with containing Honda's potential liability.

It has everything to do with Honda R&D; this is the group in Marysville, OH who design and develop all Honda vehicles for the North American market. In a prior life I was at two automakers: a test technician in at an automaker in Dearborn, MI; then a chassis engineer at a Japanese automaker in MI. We had Honda's in the lab all the time for benchmarking, which is why the Pilot is my second Honda (and likely last). I am now a design engineer at another vehicle manufacturer.

As I discussed previously, the A/C compressor, coil, clutch, and relay on my Pilot was replaced in 2017 in an attempt to resolve the popping noise. The retail cost of those components is over $1k. The popping noise resumed after one year. Your vehicle will have its harness replaced, in addition to several other components. Honda's cost (not yours) will be greater than mine.

My flyback diode installation (credit due to PFL in this forum) was less than $3 USD.

Honda can afford $3/vehicle through a TSB campaign, where Honda's exposure is limited to owners that complain...only they will receive the fix. Anyone else that doesn't notice or doesn't have the issue won't get anything.

To your point on liability: $3/vehicle extended to 200,000 vehicles per year is expensive, hence the reason Honda is quiet, and not dealing with the problem. Honda does not want to expose themselves to repairing every vehicle. I haven't looked at the unique incidents through this thread, but I speculate less than 100 owners who hear (or claim to hear) pops on their 2009-2019 Pilots. Statistically speaking (using this forum as the population) less than 0.0002% of all owners experience pops. On this basis, I can understand why Honda R&D in Ohio chooses to keep this as a very low (or no) priority issue. Regardless, I may not buy another Honda again if I have to wire in my own diodes to fix their design shortcomings.

Separately, I replaced both blower motors on my own dime because they were making helicopter sounds after 18 months of ownership. The motor commuators worn out...I looked up the PN's; like the A/C Compressor, the blower motors have revised part numbers. I replaced the blower motors on my own dime in less than 30 minutes because I did not want to waste time going back and forth with my dealer so they can say "everything sounds normal". Both motors were less than $160. I value my time at $50/hour, so I saved ~4 hours of non-productive dealer visits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the car back last week and sure enough the sound came back about a week later. Then the instrument panel and speedometer went out similar to what teacherpayne described. At this point the hunk of junk is not even safe to drive. It's going back in tomorrow and I'm getting a loaner. Retained a lemon law attorney and will be filing suit soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems like the issue originally detailed in this thread and those discussed from post #50 on could be different issues. I have a 2019 elite and have the same/similar problems as described by FrustratedOwner, teacherpayne, hasan007, gweb42982. and nick128. Here is my reply to another thread describing this issue:

I am having this issue as well on my 2019 elite purchased just over two weeks ago - first occurrence at 119 miles . I was really hoping this was a software issue that could be fixed via update, or that a simple DIY would get the job done, but it seems like it truly is a manufacturing defect. Tonight, I found this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...55369-0001.pdf. Looks like a MOST Bus issue, with connectors. Funny though, multiple instances on this forum state how replacement of harnesses has not fixed the issue. I REALLY do not want to have my $50K car's interior ripped out, especially multiple times (3 for lemon law), but if that's my only recourse to get the vehicle replaced or be refunded, I guess that's it. Shame...I really like this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Elite I bought in Sep 2017. The popping noise started happening about a year into owning it (we don't put many miles on it. Then it started happening for a span of about 10 minutes during a drive. We took it in twice. The first time they said they couldn't reproduce it. The second time they pulled everything out to redo the connections(?) and the problem got so much worse. We are taking it back later this week to get looked at again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2019 touring 9,700 and its constantly popping. I have a appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Any suggestions on how I should approach this with best chances of getting the most help from the dealer? Can someone confirm if grounding the diode is a permanent fix?

I can't post my YouTube link bc its my first post. Ill post as soon as i figure out how to link it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I took our Touring in to the dealer for this I did not have a video to show them. When I would return to pick it up I was told they could not reproduce the problem so I would have to sit with one of their techs quietly listing for the pop so I could point it out to them. Each time they ended up replacing the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay. When my warranty ran out I bought a couple of these relays to have on hand for when the popping returns. So far so good though. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I just purchased a 2019 Touring a couple weeks ago and it immediately started making a popping sound. At first I thought it was the windshield. It sounds like pebbles are hitting the windshield. After reading these posts, I think it may be coming from the speakers. I have had it at the dealer twice now with no resolution. It is back for the third time. I’m very frustrated. HELP! 🤣

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heres my Pilot.

Popping would happen on/off and infotainment system would black out. Its been at the dealer for about a month now and waiting for a reply tomorrow. I suggest you stay organized and clearly state in your reports if it effects the safety of your driving. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2019 touring 9,700 and its constantly popping. I have a appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Any suggestions on how I should approach this with best chances of getting the most help from the dealer? Can someone confirm if grounding the diode is a permanent fix?

I can't post my YouTube link bc its my first post. Ill post as soon as i figure out how to link it.
Same deal here. My dealer had my Pilot for 3 weeks. They replaced a harners behind the dash. To others points, it may come back. If it does, I hope it does soon because it will be my 3rd time in the shop for it and I have about 10k miles. 3x and <=12k miles in PA is lemon law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned 3 Honda Pilots in the past and never had this problem with the earlier models (my last one was a 2012) I Leased a 2019 Honda Pilot Touring in June 2019. Drove it off the lot to find the next day the horn did not work-someone almost backed into me and I had no horn. Took it back to the dealer-they said a fuse blew. They fixed the horn but then the crackling and popping noise started. It seemed to get worse on long trips. Then the car stalled out on me twice. I have taken it back to my Honda dealer three times already. They have no idea what I am talking about with the crackling noise. They state there is no record of this happening with any of their vehicles- are they kidding! The technician drove the car with me in it to hear the noise. I also told him that there is a static noise when you lock and unlock the doors. The last time I took it in and got the car back they said it has been fixed, Well, that lasted about a day before it started again. I have had no luck resolving this issue. Honda has to be aware of this problem-obviously it has been occurring for years form reading all of these posts. Not sure what to do at this point. They seem bothered by me every time I call my service agent. Wonder what the lemon law is in my state....will need to read up on it. It really is a shame that this is happening, the Pilot is a really great car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are having the same issues with our infotainment system on 2019 Honda Pilot Touring edition as have been described here. It is currently at the dealership for repairs for the 3rd time in 6 months, Honda technical told them it needs a replacement body harness which they can't get until December! We are thinking about trading this in for another vehicle from our dealership (who carries multiple manufacturers), but except for this serious issue, we really love the Pilot and the others don't interest us as much. Has anyone who has already purchased a 2020 Honda Pilot experienced this same issue? From what we have read, it doesn't appear Honda has changed anything on the 2020's.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Well, our '19 Elite is making the crackling sounds through the audio system. Only has 1200 miles on it. It's generally just occasional pops. At first, I thought it was bugs hitting the windshield because it was lovebug season here in FL. Well, the lovebugs are gone and we're still getting it. My wife hasn't said anything about it until tonight. She heard it before and assumed the same thing I did. I purposely didn't say anything about the issue because I wanted to see if she experienced/recognized it when she drove the car. But tonight, she said it was actually crackling.

So, I am going to see about making an appointment for Saturday to take it in to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. I had an 8:45 appointment, got there at 8:30. I explained everything again, which I did on the online form when I made the appointment. At 9:15, when I was wandering around the showroom the service writer came and waved me over. The tech drove the car, heard the sound, did a factory reset on the head unit, and drove the car again - sound is gone. I rolled my eyes, and the service writer told me to drive it and if it makes the noise to come back. I made it all the way home, which is a 40 minute drive without hearing a snap, crackle, or pop. I can't quite believe it, and am not optimistic it will last. But, at least for now, the issue is no longer presenting itself.

I'm off this weekend and am going to run the car around as much as possible to see if the noise returns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If this is a design issue instead of production defect, all 2016+ Pilots, soon or later, will have this problem. Am I correct? Sounds like a class action time.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
If this is a design issue instead of production defect, all 2016+ Pilots, soon or later, will have this problem. Am I correct? Sounds like a class action time.
Its hard to say. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was only Elite and Touring trims affected.

Oh, and my popping noise is back. So it'll be going to the dealer again...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not in my case since no repairs were done to cause this issue. I am waiting for a new wiring harness which is on backorder (2 weeks since dealer informed about backorder).
mohsha, we also were told we needed the new wiring harness, and Honda corporate told our dealership that the harness would not be in until December. We contacted Honda corporate - check out https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/honda/ for the primary contact person and sent an email to that individual explaining our issues and that we needed the part prior to leaving on a cross country trip with the vehicle in less than a month. They overnighted the part to our dealership within a few days after our contact. Picking up our Pilot tomorrow, fingers crossed that this will correct the issues for good.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts