Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot Touring and I have the same popping issue through the speakers. Honda replaced the diode in the a/c relay. This seems to have worked although I still have a loud Pop when the door locks engage. The dealership told me that is normal and there is nothing they can do about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When my Elite started making these noises, I began researching, and came across this thread. I found it interesting that the only vehicles experiencing this problem are Touring and Elite models, which also happen to be the only models with external amplifiers.
In my younger days, I was really into car audio, and would occasionally get AC noise through the speakers. The cause of this was always an insufficient ground for the amplifier.
So I figured I’d start there. I disconnected the negative battery cable from the frame, and sanded the paint away from the grounding point. I also did this where the relay box ground point is. Put everything back together, and the noise is gone. If that didn’t work, my next step was to run 8 awg from the negative battery terminal to the amp ground point. So far, no noise running the AC in the Georgia heat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mark,
Please provide updates when you can. The popping noise came back on our Touring a few weeks after the dealership replaced the AC relays. I’m getting ready to take it in for the 30,000 mile service and I will bring this up to them again. As my warranty is almost up I am looking for a more permanent solution. I hope your remedy of improving the grounds is it. That would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 pilot touring

I have been to the dealer multiple times with this problem and have discovered that there are multiple sources for this noise. Number one is the AC clutch relay. They replace this relay and after about 1500 miles the problem comes back. number 2 cause is the door locks. either when they lock or unlock they power surge makes a popping sound in the audio. the third cause I have not been able to pinpoint but I believe the cooling fan can also cause a soft popping noise in the audio system. It is important to note that even if yo turn the radio off the audio circuit remains on as that in how the nav talks to you. I am now out of warranty and frustrated. I think it is very clear that this audio system has a crappy noise suppression circuit. The dealer has replace the Ac relay multiple times and it has only served as a temporary fix. I am quite frustrated by the popping noise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been to the dealer multiple times with this problem and have discovered that there are multiple sources for this noise. Number one is the AC clutch relay. They replace this relay and after about 1500 miles the problem comes back. number 2 cause is the door locks. either when they lock or unlock they power surge makes a popping sound in the audio. the third cause I have not been able to pinpoint but I believe the cooling fan can also cause a soft popping noise in the audio system. It is important to note that even if yo turn the radio off the audio circuit remains on as that in how the nav talks to you. I am now out of warranty and frustrated. I think it is very clear that this audio system has a crappy noise suppression circuit. The dealer has replace the Ac relay multiple times and it has only served as a temporary fix. I am quite frustrated by the popping noise.
compnerd01: I had the compressor, clutch, coil set, along with A/C Clutch relay #4 replaced in August 2017. The popping noise from the A/C was eliminated. Popping still occurs randomly (maybe twice a month) when I lock/unlock the doors while the engine is running.

Although I have HondaCare through 100k miles, I have given up on resolving the pops from the locks. I spent 18 months working with my local dealer to resolve the A/C-related pops. It could be another 18-24 months before Honda has a permanent fix to the popping issue. By that time my HondaCare will be expired, and I will have moved on to the next-gen Toyota Sienna.

Seeing the posts here from the 2009-2015 Generation Pilots, it is safe (for me) to conclude that Honda will not be addressing the popping noise on the current gen Pilot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This problems also occurs in the 2016 touring model which I have. The dealer has looked at it multiple times and the sources have been identified as the AC compressor which changing the relay is only a temporary fix. Another sources is the door locks. I also suspect that occasionally the radiator cooling fan causes a soft popping sound. So anything that can cause a power surge. I suspect that the audio system was designed with poor noise suppression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I dont have the Honda care but I was all over the dealer and Honda corporate with my problem before my warranty was up. During one of the times the dealer had the vehicle they gave me an EX loaner which has a different radio system than the Elite and Touring and it did not have any problems (popping sound) so that is how I have come to suspect the audio system in the Elite and Touring as having a bad noise suppression circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 elite just purchased and the popping is so bad it interrupts music. This seems worse than what I have read here so maybe another problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 and my car has been in the shop for 8 days for the same exact problem. I have no resolution as of yet. I will post any updates.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay replaced twice. The first time, it cured the popping for a few weeks. The second time was about six months ago and the popping hasn't returned yet. We just passed 36,000 miles so when it starts popping again I guess I'll be buying a new relay and replacing it myself :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 and my car has been in the shop for 8 days for the same exact problem. I have no resolution as of yet. I will post any updates.
Hi, just following up on your post to find out if Honda determined the issue. We have a 2019 Pilot with same issue, and the dealership does not know how to fix. I appreciate any information you may have. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same issue. 19 touring Radio,amp, tuner instrument cluster and complete body harness replaced. Lost instrument cluster functions several times also. No fix from honda at this time. 5 times to dealership. Working with lemon law now. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crackling popping noise and LCD instrument panel turning off.

My elite has under 300 miles on it and the same thing happened. Lost both LCD and instrument panel with the speedometer. Super loud crackling noises. No pattern to it at all. I have taken it in twice already. They tried to give it back to me last Wednesday and I told them I am not driving it if the speedometer and instrument cluster goes out. He said the rest of the car is safe. I looked up California law and it says legally you have to have a working speedometer. So they kept it and gave us a loaner. They called for some master honda technician. He won't be in until some time next week to look at it.

They have told me that they have never heard of this problem and that it is just a software update that needs to be sent out. Yet I read about all these other problems that sound exactly the same as mine. Super frustrated.

Can you please let me know what process you are taking to get your car designated as a lemon law car? If they don't fix it I will do the same. Problem is what car do I get next?

Here is the video we took of it. I pulled over and took the video. I posted it on youtube and sent it to the dealer so they could see what we are experiencing.

YouTube

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have to check online and do some research on lemon law lawyers. Each state has different qualifications for lemon law. Several Repair attempts must be made and the vehicle still not be fixed. First thing you need to get the car back to the dealership and let them see the video. Curious to see what the dealer says. . They are "working" on a fix now. We get stuck with a defective car because some engineers at Honda f#$*#% up and pushed out a defective product. They said it could be weeks or months they dont know. Funny how they had no problem taking my money when I bought this POS. Im about 3 weeks into the process now with lawyer. Playing waiting game. We have our pilot back now, radio cracking and error messages. We take my new F150 on road trips so we dont have to worry about the dashboard turning off with my 2 year old son in the car. Let me know how you make out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So here is the newest and latest update. Honda (dealership) called me and asked to get their loaner back. We called our case carrier from Honda Corp. She agreed to return it since the Pilot was half fixed. They claimed to have fixed the instrument panel and LCD so they do not go out anymore. They said the electrical popping sound is still there but insisted that the car was safe to drive. The popping is consistent and does not stop. When it is popping you cannot listen to the radio, bluetooth phone, navigation, etc. It is extremely loud with the audio on or off. It also occurs when the engine is off but you have not opened the door.

So we had to return the car last night and were promised by Corp. and by the dealership that the car was 100% safe. The new harness for the car would be in next week and then they would fix the popping by replacing it. So today was my wife's birthday and so we drove in our Pilot for the day to the wine country. Twenty minutes into the ride, boom the noise starts up and does not stop for over forty consecutive minutes. On top of that we were on the freeway when all the electrical went out again. The error code showed the windows, radio, LCD, instrument panel, and everything else electrical went out. Safe right?

We called and found a local dealership where the Service manager was outstanding. He was shocked they put me back in this car. He stated that the noises alone were very distracting. Not to mention not being able to see the instrument panel.

I decided to test out the brake mitigation system. I got close to the car in front of me when the system shut down for the 5th time... and guess what... it didn't work.

I paid for a 50K car that doesn't work. It is beyond frustrating and now I am stuck in a Nissan Rogue with cloth seats. Honda does not seem to think this is an issue. They feel the car is safe and just needs a little work done on it. We bought it over three weeks ago and it has spent three nights in our garage. This is the third time we have had to turn in this car. First for one day. The second for 15 days, and now the third time I will let you know.

Good news is we have a great lemon law lawyer and are going to start the ball rolling. I am also attaching the videos taken from today's safe car ride.

YouTube
YouTube

YouTube
YouTube

I will post again soon

·
Registered
112 Posts
All: don't expect a fix from Honda on this issue. It has been occuring since 2010 on other Honda products; see link below. The current Pilot is in its fourth model year, and the problem still persists. If Honda R&D hasn't fixed it in *nine* years, don't expect a fix in this (or even the next) generation.

I had the A/C compressor, clutch, coil, clutch relay replaced in 2017 (refer to post 28 of this thread). The popping resurfaced in August 2018. The popping noise occurs under the same conditions: A/C running, independent of radio operation, and above 50 degrees F. Since the parts were changed the popping noise is very faint, but just as frequent. Once a month, there will be a very loud pop as I linked in post 22 of this thread.

Earlier this week, I wired in the diode as Pilotforlife details very well in Post 46.

Honda R&D is well aware of this issue but they choose to do nothing. Again, it is *nine* years and counting with no countermeasure in sight. My 2016 Elite will be paid off this year. I will return to Toyota in 2022, when the next-gen Sienna is in its second model year.

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/28421-popping-cracking-noise-audio-system.html#/forumsite/20573/topics/28421

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased a new 2019 Pilot Touring in November 2018 and the snap crackle popping sound started between 6,000 and 7,000 miles. And now started losing LCD intermittently. Sound has occurred a couple times with doors locking. I am being told this is probably a MOST Bus issue and a Service News Article (same thing as TSB?) was issued in March 2019 for 2019 Pilots, 2018-19 Odyssey's and 2019 Passports. Since it only applies to 2019 Pilots I wonder if this is a new issue unrelated to the problems with AC. We've only owned the vehicle for the winter months so we haven't even turned the AC on yet.

After connections checked and were fine I am told the next step is to replace the Tuner unit, Stereo Amplifier, Blue Ray Player and Two Wiring Harnesses.

I'll let you know how I make out after the parts are replaced.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts