Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has there been any updates on this? It is still happening on our Elite and making my wife crazy. Last time I it was at the dealer they said they heard it but though it was the dash creaking, not a chance! Then they told me they would have me talk to the regional rep and basically just totally blew me off. Honda didn't seem to want to do anything either since the dealer was being a pain and they didn't have any other cased reported...

Let me know if anyone has discovered the source or solution to this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just this week my dealer replaced the relay for the A/C clutch assembly. It appears to have fixed the snapping coming through the speakers while driving and the A/C compressor cycles on and off. However, the fall weather has not provided many opportunities to thoroughly test multiple scenarios yet, and the pop sound still comes through the speakers whenever we lock and unlock the doors. The snap from the door locks they are trying to tell me is normal. I know the locks normally make a double click/clunk sound, but I am still getting an electrical pop coming through the speakers of the audio system.

Please keep me posted to your status, because I don't believe the root of the problem has been solved yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So my dealer replaced the A/C clutch relay 39794-SDA-A05 on August 29,2016. The popping returned on Oct 13,2016. I notified my dealer again this week and took more video of the pops. He shared the video with his service director and they shared this issue with Honda R&D.

Honda Engineering is basically a black hole for problem solving, so I don't hold much hope this will be resolved during my ownership. The first link is of my latest popping since the relay replacement in August. The second link below demonstrates this issue existed since the prior generation Pilot and other Acura/Honda vehicles.

https://youtu.be/-uOYD1gQGBY

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/28421-popping-cracking-noise-audio-system.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad I found this thread. This issue just started with my 2017 Elite. Bought the car 12/28/2016, and the popping started maybe a week ago. Car only has 2200 miles, and was made in November 2016.

Had Gardena Honda check it out today, and they said it was because my bass was up too high. Lol.

Should have checked here first.

Has anyone managed to get this permanently fixed? Or is the fix to replace that relay wherever the popping returns?

This sucks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: I installed 39794-SDA-A05 yesterday, and this fixed the issue! Hopefully it lasts a while.

Do we know that changing the A/C's actual clutch assembly will fix the issue permanently?

Thanks again to all in this forum!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the relay replacement and it did stop the random crackling but I still get that noise anytime I lock or unlock the doors. Anyone have updates on this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
The A/C Relay replacement is only a temporary fix. I am on my third A/C Relay since August 2016. My dealer worked with their tech line and field engineer on my case; they will replace the A/C compressor next. The pops/snaps resumed in June 2017, but not as loud as last year.

The same pop/sound from the door locks is caused by a different circuit. I would consider that "normal" given the underengineered state of the Pilot's electrical systems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A new update on my Pilot’s popping noise. In April my Pilot resumed popping when the A/C season started. I logged each pop for over four months and waited for an increase in frequency before contacting the dealer again. In late July, 3-5 pops would occur within the first ten minutes of a cold start. Now that I had a pattern with high frequency, I contacted Honda corporate to reopen my case from 2016, and contacted my service advisor who worked with me on this topic since last year. I shared the log and he agreed to take the vehicle and have the same technician from last year look at it again. Additionally, he coordinated his field engineer to reassess the vehicle.

I dropped off my Pilot on 8/15 and was given an Odyssey as a loaner. As my paperwork was being written up, the service advisor indicated there was another Pilot prior to mine that had the same issue. The resolution was to replace the A/C Compressor, Clutch Relay, Compressor Coil, and Compressor Clutch.

On 8/17 the technician and field engineer successfully repeated the popping noise and ordered all of the parts mentioned above. Here are the part numbers that were replaced under warranty:

Compressor: 38810-RLV-A02
Clutch Set: 38900-5J6-A02
Coil Set: 38924-5J6-A03

I crosschecked the PN’s above with the database at hondapartsnetwork.com. The part numbers above replace following:

Compressor: 38810-RLV-A01
Clutch Set: 38900-5J6-A01
Coil Set: 38924-5J6-A02

Notice the last position of the PN’s. The new parts my Pilot received under warranty is a subsequent engineering change. Honda R&D must have implemented some changes, perhaps to address this very problem (my speculation; I'm a design/release engineer myself and I compile several changes together before rolling revisions). The new PN’s are effective with the 2017 Pilot and Ridgeline, so these models were likely the cut-in for the new parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm also In the same situation and anyone watching I will update as information also comes available to me for finding a solution and fix.
I have a 2016 pilot touring with16k miles. Immediately when I bought the vehicle it would randomly make a high pitched snap noise in and around my dash. I thought it was the windshield settling and ignored it. Months later it's still popping and when I lock and unlock the doors you can hear a snap noise every time you lock and unlock the car. I'm hoping others who have the same problem have also posted online like this for I believe this could be difficult to trace the source. Not sure what unlocking and locking doors could have to do with the a/c system though after talking to the lead of this thread those could be separate problems. But still a common electrical issue. it still pops randomly as well Without the doors being messed with so who really knows we shall see I have an appointment next week

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just purchased a 16 touring and having the same issue. I have taken it to the dealership for other things but mentioned this one specific thing. Of course when they had my car for a week they fixed the other problems but couldn't replicate that sound (even though the service manager heard it and acknowledged it). I thought I could just ignore it but it's really starting to get on my nerves. And with it probably being related to the A/C and that I live in south Louisiana and it's always 90 degrees it won't be a seasonal thing. Anyone had any luck fixing this easily. I am to the point of showing the service dept this forum since they say they have never heard it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
And with it probably being related to the A/C and that I live in south Louisiana and it's always 90 degrees it won't be a seasonal thing.
Ak3: Take a look at Post #17 of this thread. Your servicing dealer can replace the 39794-SDA-A05 Compressor Relay very easily. This will likely be the dealership's first response to your complaint. If the relay is replaced, expect the problem will come back after 8-10 weeks. You could also do it yourself for $15, but at risk of not being reimbursed for fried relays.

Post #18 of this thread was another forum member whose A/C Compressor replacement resolved the problem. I went through four relays in 1.5 years before having the A/C Compressor, Clutch, Coil replaced back in August 2017. I was the second Pilot Touring/Elite owner at my servicing dealership (in IL) to have the same symptom and diagnosis on the A/C Popping.

The cause of the A/C Pops is Back-EMF, which is an artifact of a marginally designed electrical system. Back-EMF on the A/C Relay circuit has existed in prior Acura/Honda vehicles, namely the TSX, Odyssey, Pilot. If you search this forum for A/C Pops and you will see others in the 2009-2012 model years have the same issue. On the TSX Forums, owners are wiring their own diodes between the Relay and Ground to prevent the Back-EMF. The diode in this location of the A/C Circuit is the engineered solution that Honda R&D should have designed-in. But these particular diodes (High Amperage) are anywhere from $3-10 each, so it is likely that Honda R&D's Engineering or Program Managers nixed the diodes to prevent cost overruns in their new product development program.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: I went in for the random popping issue to Honda. I told them about this information I found online on this forum and also else where. finding noise connecting to the A/C system and the temporary fix being the relay and the more permanent fix replacing a/c parts. I wanted them armed with extra information prior to attempting to repair.

They informed me they use a Honda Tech line to search issues they later found it to be the relay just as you have mentioned. I went ahead and let them just fix the relay and we had the discussion to allow the sound to come back and then have a open case for this and when the noise re occurs proceed with the replacement of parts not just quick relay replacement. I'm happy at the moment the random one snap noise is gone. I'll enjoy this next 8-10 weeks of quiet road sounds . It does faintly comes through my upgraded tweeters when I lock and unlock the door still but I consider that maybe an incidental to upgrading my stock tweeters and amplifying them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have not noticed it happening in my Elite. Yet. I will listen more attently after this. I think it is like A09 said replacing the relays will make the problem temporarily disappear. But the permanent solution is a change to the wiring. There needs to be a diode wired to ground in between the Compressor Relay and AC Compressor Clutch Solenoid. If I hear it I will post a clip of it. Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my ‘17 Touring in May with 62 miles, currently (11/10/17) I have over 17,000 miles. I started noticing this about 2 months ago. My hearing isn’t so good, but no one could hear it but me. My hubby kept telling me that it was bugs or pebbles hitting the windshield. Finally today my husband heard it on our long trip. I showed him that it goes away when the AC/Heater is off and it doesn’t matter what you are listening to in the radio or if the radio is off. It gets louder when the AC is running full board and super hot out (I live in Georgia so AC is ALWAYS running). Glad I found this thread! I’m going to take it back to the dealership and get this documented. To me, it’s like nails on a chalkboard (as far as how annoying it is). Also, I don’t hear it when I lock/unlock doors, so I definitely think it’s AC issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought my ‘17 Touring in May with 62 miles, currently (11/10/17) I have over 17,000 miles. I started noticing this about 2 months ago. My hearing isn’t so good, but no one could hear it but me. My hubby kept telling me that it was bugs or pebbles hitting the windshield. Finally today my husband heard it on our long trip. I showed him that it goes away when the AC/Heater is off and it doesn’t matter what you are listening to in the radio or if the radio is off. It gets louder when the AC is running full board and super hot out (I live in Georgia so AC is ALWAYS running). Glad I found this thread! I’m going to take it back to the dealership and get this documented. To me, it’s like nails on a chalkboard (as far as how annoying it is). Also, I don’t hear it when I lock/unlock doors, so I definitely think it’s AC issue.
abf: what is the frequency of your popping? I actually kept a log in Excel and my dashcam video for four months so my dealer could not avoid diagnosing the problem. At the problem's peak, I would hear the pops every two minutes; sometimes 3 times within a minute. The popping likely coincided with the compressor clutch engagements.

I uploaded videos to Youtube and gave everything to my service advisor. The dealer's service director, service manager, and field engineer reviewed all of my data. They couldn't dispute it, so the small army of experts worked with the R&D people and the Honda Tech Line to diagnose the problem. After the Compressor, Clutch, Coil, Relay replacement back in August, the problem has not returned.

I continue to hear a random pop when the doors auto-lock, but that is a separate issue and is not consistent. Maybe once per month will I hear the pop from the auto-lock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m currently fighting this problem with the dealer. The pops occur with both the door locks and a/c. I actually printed out this thread to give to the service manager. Their first solution was to replace the relay (even though I had already done that -got me thru the summer). That reduced the intensity of the pops, but didn’t solve the problem as expected. So I returned to the dealer. Now they are giving me a hard time about my aftermarket sound processor/amplifier. They want me to return the stereo to stock before diagnosing the problem. I had a feeling they would say this. There’s no way I’m removing my stereo equipment (speakers, processor, wiring). Are there any diy guides on that diode solution? It looks like that will be my only option.

If the door-lock pop is a separe issue, any idea what’s causing it? I hear it every single time I lock or unlock the doors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm bumping this. Just curious if anyone has found a true solution. I'm having the same problem with my 2017 honda pilot.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I noticed the same snap or pop noise recently. It would happen every few minutes while driving or just idling. But only when the A/C is on. Easier to hear with audio off and fan on lowest setting. It sounds like it was coming from the passenger tweeter. I took it into the dealer yesterday and they replaced A/C Compressor Clutch Relay Part no. 39794-SDA-A05. So far so good.

Is this universal to all trim levels or just Elite and Touring?

(I have a US Touring)

21 - 40 of 216 Posts