Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else hears a random Electrical Snap/Crack sound, every now & then? I haven't been able to pinpoint what causes it to happen but I hear it quite often. It's one single crack/pop and then won't do it again for several minutes.

It happens whether the radio is on or off. We also thought there might be some kind of interference with the Bluetooth & my iPhone. I've turned off my phone completely and I still hear it randomly.

I am taking it in for warranty work later today and wondering if anyone else experiences this as well?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yikes. Haven't experienced that. Maybe it's a bad or disconnected ground wire? Does it happen on bumpier roads?

Hopefully they can find out what the issue is. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wondering if anyone else hears a random Electrical Snap/Crack sound, every now & then? I haven't been able to pinpoint what causes it to happen but I hear it quite often. It's one single crack/pop and then won't do it again for several minutes.

It happens whether the radio is on or off. We also thought there might be some kind of interference with the Bluetooth & my iPhone. I've turned off my phone completely and I still hear it randomly.

I am taking it in for warranty work later today and wondering if anyone else experiences this as well?
I have the same condition on my Elite. It is one crack sound from the stereo and it happens maybe once or twice in a 20 minute drive. I have yet to find a pattern on what conditions cause the sound. If I speculate, it is a grounding issue with the stereo or some other Electromagnetic Interference.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Yes! It occurs about 80% of the time when I unlock the doors and occurs when I put the car in drive and the doors lock automatically. I have already taken it in to the dealer and they have said that there is something wrong. I am getting ready to call and make an appointment to take back in to cover myself in terms of Ohios lemon law.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine started having this cracking/popping sound a few weeks ago. Usually I can reproduce it by locking unlocking the doors. Took it for service and they could not fix it, so they sent an email to Honda Corporate. Doesn't sound too promising. At least I know I am not the only one with this issue...

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have had the same mysterious clicking sound on our Elite. I am very interested to find out what Honda/dealerships are doing to correct the issue. What did the dealership say to you regarding the sound? Any chance they are going to find a fix for it?

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have had the same mysterious clicking sound on our Elite. I am very interested to find out what Honda/dealerships are doing to correct the issue. What did the dealership say to you regarding the sound? Any chance they are going to find a fix for it?

Keep us posted...

The service advisor said nothing... As I expected, they couldn't duplicate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bumping this thread. Is this the sound everyone is experiencing?

Apparently this is caused by the compressor and condenser relays going bad. The relays are being damaged by excessive current loads coming from the AC Compressor Clutch. The problem goes back to 2010 as shown in another thread on this forum:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/28421-popping-cracking-noise-audio-system.html#/forumsite/20573/topics/28421?page=3

In my research I found the Pilot is one of several models affected by this condition; I found this problem exists on Acura TSX and Honda Odyssey.

Replacing the relays will make the problem temporarily disappear. But the permanent solution is a change to the wiring. There needs to be a diode wired to ground in between the Compressor Relay and AC Compressor Clutch Solenoid (which itself is inside the AC Compressor assembly).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ouch! If you stop the car and restart it (reboot it) the snap crackle and pops would go away.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing- elite - cracking sound through radio sometimes- have to turn car on and off to make it go away- if I had to estimate, I would say it happens once every 10 days- bringing it in for service and gonna ask to have it looked at

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replacing the relays will make the problem temporarily disappear. But the permanent solution is a change to the wiring. There needs to be a diode wired to ground in between the Compressor Relay and AC Compressor Clutch Solenoid (which itself is inside the AC Compressor assembly).
Sounds logical and effective. Have you advised Honda or the dealership of this?

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have a single electrical pop noise as well on my Elite.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We had oue Elite since mid Feb. Ive been hearing this POP/ Static POP for about 2 months now. It sounds like coming for the Radio/speaker.

I can hear this popping sound almost every time im driving. Its getting me worried now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds logical and effective. Have you advised Honda or the dealership of this?
Yes, I called American Honda to get the case number (that is all they are good for), and then had the dealer evaluate it. Conveniently the technician went with me for a ride along and we could not duplicate it. Apparently he set the HVAC to "Lo" which cycles the condenser/compressor more frequently. The frequency may dissipate the effect of the popping sound.

The dealer documented the problem for now. I made the youtube video and gave the link to my service writer. I will make more videos and provide them to Honda over the next few weeks. The pop is most prevelant when using the Car+HVAC after it sits overnight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
An update on the popping issue. Cycling the vehicle on/off does not make the popping go away; at least on my vehicle. I took it to the dealer two weeks ago and they could not replicate it, so all they could do was document it. The technician commented that this is something that could be related to the AC clutch relay. But since they could not make the issue occur, they could not do anything. This is understandable.

The popping occurs when the vehicle is running with air conditioning; and is most pronounced when the vehicle has been running for the first time after sitting overnight.

Apparently this popping also occurs on TL, Odyssey, Ridgeline, and TSX. The most common solution is to replace the relay that controls the Compressor Clutch Solenoid. The permanent fix is to hardwire a diode between the Compressor Clutch Solenoid and Ground. Replacing the relay is only a stop-gap fix.

Today I replaced said relay; it is in Engine Room Control Unit 2. The popping stopped, but it will return in the next 6-12 months. The circuit for the Compressor Clutch Solenoid is underengineered, so the relay takes on the shock from the A/C compressor cycling on and off. As the relay wears out, the electrical shock is not fully absorbed by the relay so it transfers into other circuits in the vehicle; namely the stereo.

The Relay is 39794-SDA-A05. I paid $13.20 from Honda of Lisle's web store (hondapartsnetwork.com). See attachment for details.

Disclaimer: YMMV. Do this at your own risk.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Touring had the EXACT SAME THING about 3 months ago. The dealer couldn't replicate it, so I had to go up there and point it out to them. After 2 weeks of having the vehicle and replaced multiple parts (shooting in the dark) they finally tracked it down to the AC compressor/condenser. Once they replaced it, no more issues. The issue hasn't returned every since.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our Touring had the EXACT SAME THING about 3 months ago. The dealer couldn't replicate it, so I had to go up there and point it out to them. After 2 weeks of having the vehicle and replaced multiple parts (shooting in the dark) they finally tracked it down to the AC compressor/condenser. Once they replaced it, no more issues. The issue hasn't returned every since.

The popping sound on our touring is getting more and more. today i picked-up my wife (less than 10 min drive) i heard 3-4 popping sound.

I want to take our touring to my dealer maybe the end of this month (busy july for my family) if you can scan or take pic of your service work papers thats showing they work/replace your AC compressor/condenser i will appreciate it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had this popping issue for months. The dealer tried swapping out the radio, but did not fix the problem. I pointed them to this thread, but won't attempt any solutions here because Honda corporate will not pay them to do this service under warranty. Has anybody had a successful repair from their dealer?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts