Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pilot is a 2006 pilot with 235k miles: For those of you with higher mileage pilots with misfires, this tube could be your issue. After following every possible lead and swapping out every thing possible to fight random misfires that occurred for no real reason, I found this vacuum tube collapsed and filled with soot in the bend. The tube had been worn thin in the bend area.

You guys may want to check yours if you’re having issues. I replaced mine in the photo with a 3/8” fuel line. The car has more power and hasn’t misfired with my short amount of testing so far but it’s worth considering. This tube is under suction when the car is on and can effect the air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Wow good call there!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Pilot went through a random of emotions all because of this tube - I bought this pilot knowing it had this problem a year ago but was determined to find the source, but the findings were more and more bleak with everything I tried - I got Bank 1 Cat inefficiency, Bank 2, misfiring on some cylinders, misfiring on all cylinders plus a random misfire codes. It would misfire at idle during the cold ONLY it seemed, but would work (most of the time) fine during the warm, this was because when the engine ramps up the rpm in the cold (like choking the engine), it requires more air, this tube wasn't giving it the air the sensors requested. The engine would have too little air, and too much fuel.

I changed spark plugs to OEM, 2 of the coils to OEM, wiped out the throttle body, bought a foxwell 510N scanner to do camshaft position relearn, throttle body position relearn, reset the computer, readjusted the valves (not sure how much this helped feel wise, but they were too tight, so for longevity reasons, glad I did it), changed the spark plug tube seals and valve cover gasket (oil leaking in the spark plug hole). Cleaned the EGR and passages, changed the PCV valve to OEM. Nothing I did changed how the car felt on those cold days and randomly misfiring under load on around town or on the interstate on warm days. This tube caused it all, days later, no code, starting great on the cold mornings, the problem has been in front of my face the whole time. I found it when the car was idling and I was jiggling harnesses around thinking I had an injector problem, the tube looked compressed, taking it off resulted in a HUGE rush of air, so I knew I was onto something. Replacing it was easy, so trie that, and boom, we're back in business with this old thing running great.

People focus so much on the PCV valve (which I replaced) and seem to forget this tube probably does even more than the PCV valve does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 Pilot EX-L with 238k and I have been fighting a P0305 code for weeks. I have changed everything I can think of and the compression check was good. Hopefully this PCV hose helps.

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
See that bolt circled by the C? Remove it and it's partners. This will gain your access to the area that distributes the fumes to the cylinders. Cleaning the area with brake cleaner Will additionally help the engine breathing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts