Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy told me this story about his neighbor and I thought I would share.

"My neighbor has a 2016 Honda Pilot.

I've helped him put on front brakes as it ticked over the 140K mile mark. He'd mentioned it needing some trans flush, but he just figured "eventually". Well, on Tuesday night the transmission stopped shifting. He called me on his way home from work and he said it wouldn't go over 40 mph and the dash was blinking and the RPMs stayed up around 7,000 for a good while. Uh oh...

I finally convinced him to stop the car, and get AAA to tow it to Honda Marysville. That finally happened, and after a day of them doing the work, they found out that the trans pump shit the bed. This overheated the transmission case which I guess is very close to the ECM? I don't know, but that ended up melting a portion of the wiring harness, fried the ECM, and for good measure, the dealer suggested the timing belt / water pump that he missed quite a long time ago as well.

Dealer wanted $6,000 to fix. They were asking $4,000 for just the ECM. That's MSRP. I found it for $2800, and the dealer said if he bought the parts, they'd do the install and offer up 10% discount on labor due to the excessive amount required. The other option is to just see what trade in he'd get for a broken, high mile Pilot with intent to get a new Pilot."

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
That is an unfortunate situation... not sure if changing the fluid would have prevented that failure unfortunately. Pretty sure I'd pull over pretty quickly if I ran into that situation, I feel like some of the ancillary damage could have been prevented.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts