Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Honda since 1998 when I bought my new Honda Accord had several accidents in that car, three accidents all faults of the other drivers never got seriously injured except some back problems. On the third accident it was totaled out and I got a new 2006 Honda Pilot which I drove until it was totaled out when someone ran into my daughter and then I got the 2020 Honda Pilot I have loved all my Honda cars/SUV's but this one down right scares me. On November 17th 2020. I parked my car it made a little roll so I checked to make sure it was in park I turn my back to pick up my pocketbook and the door caught me in the back as I tried to reach the emergency brake the car drug me down the hill under the car and ran over my leg the other leg is damaged from being dragged. I do not want this to happen to anyone else so if you have a 2020 Honda Pilot please just make sure you put the emergency brake on before getting out. My sister said the car was in park when she got in it try to roll it off of me and she couldn't get it out of park and the officer that got in it said it was in park and he couldn't get it out of park until the car was lifted off of me. Sincerely a Honda lover for many years,
Audrey O'Neal

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I hope anybody that has a 2020 Honda Pilot will use their parking brake from now on until this is look into. I wasn't on a hill or anything like that just enough that I thought the car adjusted a bit. I've now become a person that's in love with their car to a person that's afraid of their car.
Audrey O'Neal

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
293 Posts
Yes, I hope anybody that has a 2020 Honda Pilot will use their parking brake from now on until this is look into. I wasn't on a hill or anything like that just enough that I thought the car adjusted a bit. I've now become a person that's in love with their car to a person that's afraid of their car.
Audrey O'Neal
I always use my parking brake, since I live on a street with a major incline. Never trust your P pawl. Good topic you brought up.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,945 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident. It might be of interest of some here as to which model of Pilot it was as well as if the vehicle was equipped with a 6 speed or 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ovup
Sorry to hear about the incident. It might be of interest of some here as to which model of Pilot it was as well as if the vehicle was equipped with a 6 speed or 9 speed transmission.
It is a Shift Lever is all know. The car has a bench seat in the 2nd and 3 row so it's not the touring Pilot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ovup

It is a Shift Lever is all know. The car has a bench seat in the 2nd and 3 row so it's not the touring Pilot.

Shift lever is a 6 speed.

9 speed has the buttons.

This is pretty crazy. Did someone try to push the vehicle while in park?

What was the response from the dealership?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealership told me to call American Honda,
They got back with me late Friday so it will be next week sometime. The car was in park per
My sister and the office stated it was.in park and he was not able to get out of park at first.
When I was dragging under the car I thought I
Would never see my family again and this is not the way I won't to go. So things are so much better than they could have been but it will be a long recovery but I will take it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Happy to hear you're on the path for recovery from your misadventure. I rarely use my PB unless the Pilot is parked in the city but this post will be a good reminder. Hope to hear what Honda discovers and plans to do for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back in 2017, I used to wonder why my sister-in-law was so concerned about the lack of a mechanical gear selector in her Elite. She was very hesitant to drive anything with the push-button drive/parking brake selectors now commonin close-ratio/CVT automatics. Now, I get it.

Thank you for sharing your story and I sincerely hope you experience a swift recovery. You may want to contact an attorney that has experience in automotive product liability. If you take it to the dealer, make sure they preserve whatever electronic data is in your Pilot.

I just recently drove in a new Toyota Corolla with CVT and noticed that every time the selector (a physical lever) was placed in "Park," the electronic parking brake engaged, automatically.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It has the shifter because it was available in both and silly me selected the shifter thinking it would be safer than the push button. Boy was I wrong but the car was in park. I am putting my story out there and hopes it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Thanks for your kind words.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy to hear you're on the path for recovery from your misadventure. I rarely use my PB unless the Pilot is parked in the city but this post will be a good reminder. Hope to hear what Honda discovers and plans to do for you.
I will always use my emergency parking brake from now on, but I'm not sure if that's going to help with me being frightened of my own car.
Thank you for your kind words.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Always good practice to engage the PB on an incline, plus it keeps the cable etc. in good working order.

I remember when I was a teen my mother never used the parking brake on the old Dodge, but as a new driver I decided to apply it one day. It was all rusty and seized from lack of use and would not release, so the car had to be towed to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Geez what a crazy story. Glad to hear you are on the mend and it sounds like you will fully recover.

This is why I have gone so far as to beat into my wife the whole "shit to neutral, engage parking brake, let vehicle settle THEN put it in park". Took a couple years but now she does it even on flat ground. Now, when my kids get old enough to drive it will be a whole different matter trying to get them to listen to me.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
This is why I have gone so far as to beat into my wife the whole "shit to neutral, engage parking brake, let vehicle settle THEN put it in park". Took a couple years but now she does it even on flat ground
I’ll reserve judgment on the edukation :Dprocedure but I prefer to brake to settle then move shifter to PARK then apply the PB.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I’ll reserve judgment on the edukation :Dprocedure but I prefer to brake to settle then move shifter to PARK then apply the PB.
My procedure goes all the way back to my driver's education teacher stressing not to put the weight of the vehicle on the parking brake. Secondary to that is that you know you have the parking brake engaged far enough to hold the weight of the vehicle, so the parking brake is now holding the weight of the vehicle and the parking pawl is strictly a secondary measure.

Let's not discuss what happens if you let a vehicle sit for weeks in a humid environment with the parking brake on, after a couple miles everything frees up pretty nicely!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, that is a terrible situation. Parking brakes need to be used.
I never understood why I would need to put a parking brake on just an everyday driving but I think I'll do it the rest of my life now.

Always good practice to engage the PB on an incline, plus it keeps the cable etc. in good working order.

I remember when I was a teen my mother never used the parking brake on the old Dodge, but as a new driver I decided to apply it one day. It was all rusty and seized from lack of use and would not release, so the car had to be towed to the dealership.
I don't know this is a new 2020 Honda Pilot but I've only used to parking brake when on an incline this was not an incline just not exactly exactly flat.
Still don't know if there's anything wrong with my car or just extremely freak accident.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My procedure goes all the way back to my driver's education teacher stressing not to put the weight of the vehicle on the parking brake. Secondary to that is that you know you have the parking brake engaged far enough to hold the weight of the vehicle, so the parking brake is now holding the weight of the vehicle and the parking pawl is strictly a secondary measure.

Let's not discuss what happens if you let a vehicle sit for weeks in a humid environment with the parking brake on, after a couple miles everything frees up pretty nicely!
Your PB procedure is duly noted. I'm not a regular PB user unless parking in the city. As far as the humid environment story I've had a chunk of rusty rotor surface break off the rotor one winter after releasing the PB o_O so no more PB on my level driveway LOL

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sure my procedure getting out of the car from now on we'll make sure the car is in park which I did and making sure to push the emergency parking brake no matter where I'm at every time I get for the car. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Now, when my kids get old enough to drive it will be a whole different matter trying to get them to listen to me.
You could bring in a motivational speaker.

Perhaps one who lives in a van down by the river.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts