Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just had the glass company here to replace the windshield. There is a spot on the driver's side the wipers won't get. Went to the shop that sold us the wipers and they put on several different sets by different brands and no improvement. Said it was the windshield that was the problem. The windshield replacement guy just left and said we might have wax or something on the glass. He cleaned it with something and now all is good. He noticed some white dried wax down at the very bottom of the windshield where the wipers park and said maybe the wipers dragged some wax up onto the glass.

He suggested we put RainX on the windshield and it will solve our problem. He said they put it on all their entire fleet of service vans and he rarely even uses his wipers in the rain. He parks it outside and doesn't get that morning dew or frost on his glass. He says the trick is to put it on correctly. Wait for it to fully dry and use a buffer to get all the haze off.

Anyone tried this stuff and is it good or bad?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Rain X used to be my go-to. Reapplied every couple months, no big deal. Then I learned about and used Aquapel. On the '08 Sonata I applied it somewhere around 2012... haven't needed to reapply as water still beads fine on the windshield. Sure, a fresh application of Rain X is about as good as it gets, but I don't have the time to reapply regularly and once in over 10 years works for me.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rain X used to be my go-to. Reapplied every couple months, no big deal. Then I learned about and used Aquapel. On the '08 Sonata I applied it somewhere around 2012... haven't needed to reapply as water still beads fine on the windshield. Sure, a fresh application of Rain X is about as good as it gets, but I don't have the time to reapply regularly and once in over 10 years works for me.
How hard is it to apply compared to Rain X?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
How hard is it to apply compared to Rain X?
About the same, if anything a little easier. Squeeze the wings to break the glass. Apply in a crosshatch pattern. Wipe off. Usually it takes 2 or 3 times wiping off but it's low effort.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the same, if anything a little easier. Squeeze the wings to break the glass. Apply in a crosshatch pattern. Wipe off. Usually it takes 2 or 3 times wiping off but it's low effort.
break the glass? whoa. Ya lost me.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
break the glass? whoa. Ya lost me.
Check out the image below. The "wings" are on the applicator. There is a glass vial in the body that breaks when you squeeze the wings and the chemical soaks the applicator pad.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Well you've got me quite intrigued...however if I mess up with the application am I SOL or is it fool proof/is there a way to remove?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the image below. The "wings" are on the applicator. There is a glass vial in the body that breaks when you squeeze the wings and the chemical soaks the applicator pad.

View attachment 144517
Fancy pansy .... does that little thing cover the whole windshield? Do you use it on any of the other glass, like the rear window or mirrors .....? If it lasts 10 years ... what if I don't like it?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Well you've got me quite intrigued...however if I mess up with the application am I SOL or is it fool proof/is there a way to remove?
Worst case sometimes the hazing persists and I just wash the vehicle or go drive it in the rain. IMO the application is no more challenging than Rain X.

Fancy pansy .... does that little thing cover the whole windshield? Do you use it on any of the other glass, like the rear window or mirrors .....? If it lasts 10 years ... what if I don't like it?
Yes, one for the windshield or 2 side windows. You can use it on any glass surface, but I have only used it on the windshield and I use sealant on the rest of the glass.

If you don't like it... well I'm not sure what to tell you. If I remember correct it was developed by PPG for their glass division. They let the public buy it for automotive use but spend almost no money on marketing. I feel unsafe driving a car with an untreated windshield, so I don't know what you wouldn't like.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
I had some Aquapel applied a couple of years ago by the company that does my rustproofing. It was really goo the first year. The second year they applied it I didn't notice much difference. This year I said no thanks. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Worst case sometimes the hazing persists and I just wash the vehicle or go drive it in the rain. IMO the application is no more challenging than Rain X.

Yes, one for the windshield or 2 side windows. You can use it on any glass surface, but I have only used it on the windshield and I use sealant on the rest of the glass.

If you don't like it... well I'm not sure what to tell you. If I remember correct it was developed by PPG for their glass division. They let the public buy it for automotive use but spend almost no money on marketing. I feel unsafe driving a car with an untreated windshield, so I don't know what you wouldn't like.
Some wipers don't seem to like RainX so I don't typically use it on my 2008. But I may have to give this a try.
Although it may be the fact that my windshield is so scratched and sandblasted.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I found it on Amazon and read the reviews. Many say it doesn't come in the same packaging as the picture but a plain plastic bag with no directions I don't know, but it seems like people are buying multipaks at a lower price and splitting them up and reselling. It's not exactly inexpensive.
Amazon.com: Aquapel 88625-47100 Glass Treatment: Automotive

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
Says in my link it's a fluoropolymer. So Teflon?

Fluoropolymer - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Then why not cut through the hype and the overpriced middleman and straight out get a Teflon spray? DuPont makes one for much cheaper.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dupont-teflon-snow-ice-repellant-284-g-0381117p.html

Is there any reason you shouldn't use it on windshields?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I had some Aquapel applied a couple of years ago by the company that does my rustproofing. It was really goo the first year. The second year they applied it I didn't notice much difference. This year I said no thanks. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

No idea what to tell you. Mine has seen 100+ to 0. Snow, ice, salt, pollen, dirt, gravel dust, etc. I can only speak on my experience. 10 years on the Sonata, 3 years on the Pilot and 2 years on the Traverse.

Some wipers don't seem to like RainX so I don't typically use it on my 2008. But I may have to give this a try.
Although it may be the fact that my windshield is so scratched and sandblasted.
I stick with the more expensive blades. Every once in a while they streak or chatter but I give the blade a good IPA wipedown and thoroughly clean the windshield and it's all good.

I found it on Amazon and read the reviews. Many say it doesn't come in the same packaging as the picture but a plain plastic bag with no directions I don't know, but it seems like people are buying multipaks at a lower price and splitting them up and reselling. It's not exactly inexpensive.
Amazon.com: Aquapel 88625-47100 Glass Treatment: Automotive
Yea that's generally where I buy it. Price is of no concern when it comes to safety and longevity IMO.

Says in my link it's a fluoropolymer. So Teflon?

Fluoropolymer - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Then why not cut through the hype and the overpriced middleman and straight out get a Teflon spray? DuPont makes one for much cheaper.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dupont-teflon-snow-ice-repellant-284-g-0381117p.html

Is there any reason you shouldn't use it on windshields? View attachment 144520
Could be, you should try it!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I stick with the more expensive blades. Every once in a while they streak or chatter but I give the blade a good IPA wipedown and thoroughly clean the windshield and it's all good.
Don't know if they're more expensive .. but have you tried the Rain X wiper blades? If so, how are they?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Don't know if they're more expensive .. but have you tried the Rain X wiper blades? If so, how are they?
They have different levels of them just like every other brand. Their higher level blades, the Bosch Icons, any other along that line/price range is what I go with. They all have performed well for me but none so outstanding that I feel the need to buy them again. I wanted to love silicone blades but was very disappointed. I tried Silblade and one of the name brand's silicone blades.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
They have different levels of them just like every other brand. Their higher level blades, the Bosch Icons, any other along that line/price range is what I go with. They all have performed well for me but none so outstanding that I feel the need to buy them again. I wanted to love silicone blades but was very disappointed. I tried Silblade and one of the name brand's silicone blades.
I have Bosch Icons on my 2008. I like them except for when it's cold outside they tend to be a bit louder. But they do an amazing job wiping.
I ran RainX beam blades for a while but they if I was driving at night I couldn't see because they never seemed to wipe all of the water off.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there any reason you shouldn't use it on windshields? View attachment 144520
Teflon is some pretty persistent stuff and is associated with some health issues. It also emits a toxic gas when heated, although I don't think a car windshield ever gets hot enough to worry about that, but don't get anywhere near your cats with it. If you're spraying it around your car, you might regret it later if you ever need to have body work done and they don't know how to clean off teflon.

Wouldn't the light slip off the outside of the windshield and never make it inside so you could see where you're going? Something to think about when you run out of things to think about.

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts