Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several threads on this topic. Short story is when away on vacation last week, our Pilot's alarm went off randomly and the neighbors were good sports about it. They got the key from our home and unlocked the car. It say in our driveway the remainder of the week. Everyone slept better, including us from 400 miles away.

There is rainwater in the tailgate. I let it drain out, applied lithium grease on all the latches, including the hood, opened closed opened closed several times. All seemed good and I locked the car once again. Rain yesterday, drained gate, locked car... alarm went off at 5:30 AM this morning.

I ordered new switches for all the doors to eliminate them as a potential source. I strongly suspect the water in the gate is triggering or has degraded the switching in the gate, possibly in the rear window.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone discovered the source of rainwater in the gate for a 2011 Pilot? I have heard the 'stand off' for the rear wiper can be a source. I am wondering about the weather seal of the rear window. Anyone have theories or experiences
  2. I need to look but is disarming the horn security alarm as easy as pulling a fuse? Does that mean the horn itself is disabled while driving? I am hesitant to do that if true. Otherwise, we are stuck with leaving the car unlocked through the night. We are a safe neighborhood but there is history of kids rummaging through unlocked cars during the night, stealing pocket change and anything small of value. So far, that has not happened. My wife is visiting her mom 200 miles away. She may have to live with locking and just have it randomly going off while traveling.
Any help is welcomed. Thanks.

David

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I have seen several threads on this topic. Short story is when away on vacation last week, our Pilot's alarm went off randomly and the neighbors were good sports about it. They got the key from our home and unlocked the car. It say in our driveway the remainder of the week. Everyone slept better, including us from 400 miles away.

There is rainwater in the tailgate. I let it drain out, applied lithium grease on all the latches, including the hood, opened closed opened closed several times. All seemed good and I locked the car once again. Rain yesterday, drained gate, locked car... alarm went off at 5:30 AM this morning.

I ordered new switches for all the doors to eliminate them as a potential source. I strongly suspect the water in the gate is triggering or has degraded the switching in the gate, possibly in the rear window.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone discovered the source of rainwater in the gate for a 2011 Pilot? I have heard the 'stand off' for the rear wiper can be a source. I am wondering about the weather seal of the rear window. Anyone have theories or experiences
  2. I need to look but is disarming the horn security alarm as easy as pulling a fuse? Does that mean the horn itself is disabled while driving? I am hesitant to do that if true. Otherwise, we are stuck with leaving the car unlocked through the night. We are a safe neighborhood but there is history of kids rummaging through unlocked cars during the night, stealing pocket change and anything small of value. So far, that has not happened. My wife is visiting her mom 200 miles away. She may have to live with locking and just have it randomly going off while traveling.
Any help is welcomed. Thanks.

David
I know on 3rd Gen there was an issue with the washer fluid tubing being to long and laying in the seal with gate closed. This allowed water through into places it shouldn't be. The fix was to simply cut an inch or 2 of tubing off the end, shorting the loop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know on 3rd Gen there was an issue with the washer fluid tubing being to long and laying in the seal with gate closed. This allowed water through into places it shouldn't be. The fix was to simply cut an inch or 2 of tubing off the end, shorting the loop.
I hadn't heard that one. I will have to look and see if this is the cause.

It seems Honda would have this figured out by now. Some of the latest models have worse water problems from/in the gate than what I have had.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I hadn't heard that one. I will have to look and see if this is the cause.

It seems Honda would have this figured out by now. Some of the latest models have worse water problems from/in the gate than what I have had.
You might also look for any debris stuck to the rubber seal on the door. It can be overlooked simply because it's something we don't ever see standing under the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might also look for any debris stuck to the rubber seal on the door. It can be overlooked simply because it's something we don't ever see standing under the door.
You are dead on. I just looked at lunch. That washer tube appears to be longer than necessary and sticks out the top. The upper weather strip is deformed there due to the tubing. I can see debris getting in all over the place. Water could be going into the rubber gasket for the rear window washer conveying into the tail gate. Seems like a very poor design choice.

My wife is going to clean up all around the body and tailgate. I am going to order that new upper rubber strip (thank goodness it comes off with screws). I am going to shorten the window washer tube.

I want to get the water from coming into the gate before I replace any sensors. Secondarily, I want to eliminate some troubles before I let a dealer get their claws into this.

Thanks for your help. Feels like a good start.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
You are dead on. I just looked at lunch. That washer tube appears to be longer than necessary and sticks out the top. The upper weather strip is deformed there due to the tubing. I can see debris getting in all over the place. Water could be going into the rubber gasket for the rear window washer conveying into the tail gate. Seems like a very poor design choice.

My wife is going to clean up all around the body and tailgate. I am going to order that new upper rubber strip (thank goodness it comes off with screws). I am going to shorten the window washer tube.

I want to get the water from coming into the gate before I replace any sensors. Secondarily, I want to eliminate some troubles before I let a dealer get their claws into this.

Thanks for your help. Feels like a good start.
Glad to help.
Can she snap a picture for us for anybody that may have this problem. This is interesting that it's happening on an older model too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to help.
Can she snap a picture for us for anybody that may have this problem. This is interesting that it's happening on an older model too.
Try this. Hopefully this gives a good indication of what I am describing... and what you described.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have photos but my wife cleaned up the whole area and I tucked the 90° elbow from the washer fluid tube into the opening of the gate 'cavity' at the very top of the whole tailgate assembly. It seems to want to be there originally. It also does not protrude out onto the roof deflecting the rubber strip. It rained pretty hard the other night and no water in the tailgate. The rainwater must be coming through that opening. Again, that seems to be really poor design by Honda. I may cut the hose shorter but for right now, I will be mindful of the hose tucking.

I will let a few more rainstorms come through but will start investigating the switch at the bottom of the gate. I assume it was submerged in water. I will probably replace that to make sure it is functioning properly. I have woken the neighbors up enough with this.

Thanks, NG, for your insight. I think that was key to this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts