Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During this pandemic I've only been driving my Pilot once a week. A couple months ago, I walked out to my car and to my horror the windows were all cracked and sunroof was partially open. My wife had left all 5 windows accidentally and it was raining all week long, so the interior was wet and my door pockets had about 1" of standing water. I left the windows open for a week and ran the A/C and heat on at the same time for a couple hours a day to try to dry it out. Then last week my daughter did the same thing when she went to get something from the car.

My question is, should I be worried about mold under the carpets? Is there a specific spot that water would collect that would increase the chances of mold in the car? My driveway is slanted upwards a bit, so I'm guessing any standing water under the carpets would've collected towards the rear seats.

I have a mobile detailer coming tomorrow morning to clean out all the pine needles and sap that accumulated in the car while the windows were open. Is there any specific areas where I should ask him to pay close attention to for mold growth?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Should be fine. Hopefully the detailer shampoos the carpet to kill off any bacteria that causes smell. Putting damp rid inside when the windows are closed wouldn't hurt either. If you didn't dry it good enough Dont be surprised if the window and lock switches start to act up

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
During this pandemic I've only been driving my Pilot once a week. A couple months ago, I walked out to my car and to my horror the windows were all cracked and sunroof was partially open. My wife had left all 5 windows accidentally and it was raining all week long, so the interior was wet and my door pockets had about 1" of standing water. I left the windows open for a week and ran the A/C and heat on at the same time for a couple hours a day to try to dry it out. Then last week my daughter did the same thing when she went to get something from the car.

My question is, should I be worried about mold under the carpets? Is there a specific spot that water would collect that would increase the chances of mold in the car? My driveway is slanted upwards a bit, so I'm guessing any standing water under the carpets would've collected towards the rear seats.

I have a mobile detailer coming tomorrow morning to clean out all the pine needles and sap that accumulated in the car while the windows were open. Is there any specific areas where I should ask him to pay close attention to for mold growth?
Think you should be okay with the detailer. Do you know how much moisture we bring into our cars during the winter.
I have puddles on my floor from the slush and snow from my boots all winter long, never had a mold problem.
Rotting floor pans aside, from the salt, I would not worry about mold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just remember that if you press and hold "open"button on your key fob, all windows plus sunroof will open. Any chance that your fob was accidentally pressed (in the drawer, purse etc), or held longer when opening the car?? I did this a couple times by pressing the remote to open the door. Since then, I always pull all window switches up before shutting off ignition.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Smells and mold. Natures Miracle from pet store on biological material destroys a lot for smells (Urine, Feces, Vomit, Blood etc). Spray on to soak and let dry naturally. I don't know about mold for it.

Water- try to lift up the carpets if possible to get air under them. Remove door sills and lift up, put a tennis ball or something under to keep space. Remove any mats on top. Go and get a decent dehumidifier. I've seen places rent better ones.

My friend worked at BMW as a mechanic. They often did this for a variety of water issues at the dealership. My old Corolla was in wrong spot in parking lot on one of those deluge rains that flooded lot. I had 2" of water on the whole floor. I shop vac'd out what I could. From his advice I put the De-Humidifier on a board on front seat with spacer to make it flat. In Pilot you can just rest in cargo area. Turn it on high, close the car up totally for 1-2 days if needed. Check humidifier to empty collection tank every couple hours at beginning, then longer accordingly. No more water in tank, your dry. Put it back together and move on. I never had rusting issues on bolts or anything from that because I got rid of the water.

I've seen people "rent" good ones from the stores and return them as not what they expected/unhappy after. People did it with area rugs for holidays when I worked at Home Depot. Just like women that rent dresses and return them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had the same issue and I caught it on time but did not dry it well enough. as suggested earlier, a dehumidifier helps a lot as mine developed rust on the driver and passenger seat rail. Under the carpet it's painted hence, no rust but the seat rail will require the seats to be taken out and sand off the rust, I did that on the passenger side and will be doing the driver next week

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
Great advice. You could probably do this yourself too. No need for a detailer IMHO.
Choice is yours though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts