Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their radio stay on after removing the key?

When I would shut off the engine and remove the key the radio sometimes would stay on for about 5 seconds.
After I brought it in for an oil change (maint. required light now off) it stopped. Is there a feature like in other cars for a delayed accessory power? I was thinking it was me but my wife noticed it too. I read the manual but may have missed something.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The electric system stays on for a bit after you turn off the car and take the key out. I like this feature as I turn off the car and some kid has inevitably left a window open :3: . I can put it up without having to re-insert the key. I can take that tape or CD that I want to transfer to the house out of the system.:17:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Poltergeist ?

:eek:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Power situation

The radio will stay on, but once you open the door, the system shuts itself down.

It's a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Uhhh...

My radio doesn't stay on. It should? :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
no radio

My radio does not stay on, either. I know the electrical system still works briefly after removing the key, but I've never had my radio stay on. Are we sure that this is normal? If so, mine's broken!! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Power situation

PILOTinginCO said:
The radio will stay on, but once you open the door, the system shuts itself down.

It's a nice feature.
I do not think the radio does that, but you can roll up and down the windows till you open the door

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All.
I agree the that the delayed power for windows is great.
When it was doing it I thought I found a cool new feature too.
I opened the door thinking it would shut off too. It stayed on for 5 seconds or more with the door open (key in hand).
Nothing else seemed to be on either.
I'm concerned it may be a bad ignition switch
Or that Lamuncha's squirrels have moved in and like listening to the radio while I'm gone.
I dread the thought of Poldergist's (especially if they start changing my presets).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
BillR said:
Thanks All.
I agree the that the delayed power for windows is great.
When it was doing it I thought I found a cool new feature too.
I opened the door thinking it would shut off too. It stayed on for 5 seconds or more with the door open (key in hand).
Nothing else seemed to be on either.
I'm concerned it may be a bad ignition switch
Or that Lamuncha's squirrels have moved in and like listening to the radio while I'm gone.
I dread the thought of Poldergist's (especially if they start changing my presets).
:21: Billr! You're allright! Poor lamuncha... even if the rodents do ever leave him alone - we will NEVER let him forget! :D ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just the opposite - Radio stayed off with key !

Had one isolated case [last week] of radio/clock not powering up with engine start. Shut down and restart solved the problem and it has not recurred.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Let's see..... IT stays on when IGN. shut off??? IGN switched on, but IT doesn't turn on???? It's a MicroSoft Operating System!!! :2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Radio Stay ON & Loud Noise at Sub

:mad: I have this problem ever since I brought it in for the first oil change. The RES stay on for couple of second after removing the ignition key.
Another issue is when start ignition, there is a loud noise from Subwoofer.

I will call to make another following tomorrow.

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Radio Stay ON & Loud Noise at Sub

haknuman59 said:
:mad: I have this problem ever since I brought it in for the first oil change. The RES stay on for couple of second after removing the ignition key.
Another issue is when start ignition, there is a loud noise from Subwoofer.

I will call to make another following tomorrow.

SS EX-L RES #35211
Sounds like a sticky realy.

The power to the accessories is conroled by the same relay that controles power to the front accessory outlet (lighter). Plug a light in and see if that is it.
Compair this to the power to the rear outlet. It runs off a separate relay.
Both are keyed by the same line so if they go off differently you can be 100% sure its a bad relay.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you N_Jay

:p Thanks N_Jay

I would thinking exactly what you are thinking, well, let see how the dealer said.

:cool: 2003 Pilot SS EX-L RES,Fog Lights with Lower Trim,Crossbars for Roof Rails,Half Nose Mask,Rear Splash Guards,Running Boards,Rear Back-Up Sensors,Wheel Locks,Auto Day/Night Mirror,Wood-Grain Trim Panel—All Interior Trim,EX Emblem, VTEC Emblem,Gold Exhaust Finishers,Fog & Head Light using XD5 5100K Bulb, AutoShade Ventvisor,Fender Flare, Signal Mirror

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Conclusion

The radio problem I was having now seems to have been resolved.
It was a multiplexer module that somehow allows the radio to stay powered even after key removal.
The problem starts out with the radio staying on for just a second or so after you remove the key and works it's way up to about 15 or so seconds. at this time it seems to clear itself and after a while it starts the cycle all over again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had this problem with my 2008 pilot for the past couple days... Was really confused by it because it seemingly started out of the blue... However I backtracked what I had done recently and found that I had recently hooked up a power inverter to the center console 12V receptacle (the one inside the console, not the 2nd row near A/C vents). Seems that when I have the plug in the 12V receptacle (only the center console one, the other ones did not cause the radio to stay on after shutdown), it causes the radio to stay on for ~30 seconds after shutdown w/ a loud "thud" sound coming from the speakers... This may be the result of a failing relay as the thread mentions earlier on, however to fix my issue I just plugged my inverter into a different receptacle and the problem went away.

I definitely did not like the "thud" noise that I was hearing over the speakers when the radio would stay on after shutdown because even the best speakers will blow if enough distortion and electrical noise is passed through them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts