Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Pilot owners,

Can anyone recommend a good replacement radio for the stock unit that came with my 03? I don't need anything super-expensive but something with some of the modern stuff plus CD would be nice. I also don't want to have to cut anything up so it has to fit in the original space. Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Check out crutchfield.com as a guide / purchase as they have a good reference of what fits, what adapters, connectors and trim plates may be needed for a successful diy project. Of course some veteran radio installers might chime in with their experience too. Post up what you decide as other Piloteers may have similar plans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a 2005 Pilot EX for 15 years before trading it in. The stock radio was quite poor, so I installed an Alpine deck, Alpine speakers, and re-used a small Alpine amp I had leftover from one of my college cars. The deck drove the speakers and the little amp powered the subwoofer, which I kept in the car because I was too cheap to buy another one. A couple months ago I traded it away and found a 2007 Pilot EX with about a quarter of the miles on it than my old one had on it. Once again, I am in the process of replacing the stuff with Alpine. This time I will do the deck, speakers, larger new amp, and a new subwoofer. The other fellow was right, Crutchfield offers excellent information and detailed installation instructions and fit guides.

There are a few really good videos on youtube.com, too. Just search on stereo installations for Honda Pilot. If I had it to do over again, I would be even more careful not to break the trim pieces getting into the dash, I might have chosen a Sony deck that offers 45 watts to four speakers rather than the Alpine that offers just 18 watts. I would stick with Alpine speakers - they are amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently installed these into my '04, no cutting of the harness needed, worked great:
JVC KW-V66BT
Metra 70-1721 Wiring Harness
Metra 95-7861 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit
Pac-Audio SWI-RC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently installed these into my '04, no cutting of the harness needed, worked great:
JVC KW-V66BT
Metra 70-1721 Wiring Harness
Metra 95-7861 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit
Pac-Audio SWI-RC
Sounds great. Did you buy your stuff from Crutchfield?
Thanks for your suggestions.
I owned a 2005 Pilot EX for 15 years before trading it in. The stock radio was quite poor, so I installed an Alpine deck, Alpine speakers, and re-used a small Alpine amp I had leftover from one of my college cars. The deck drove the speakers and the little amp powered the subwoofer, which I kept in the car because I was too cheap to buy another one. A couple months ago I traded it away and found a 2007 Pilot EX with about a quarter of the miles on it than my old one had on it. Once again, I am in the process of replacing the stuff with Alpine. This time I will do the deck, speakers, larger new amp, and a new subwoofer. The other fellow was right, Crutchfield offers excellent information and detailed installation instructions and fit guides.

There are a few really good videos on youtube.com, too. Just search on stereo installations for Honda Pilot. If I had it to do over again, I would be even more careful not to break the trim pieces getting into the dash, I might have chosen a Sony deck that offers 45 watts to four speakers rather than the Alpine that offers just 18 watts. I would stick with Alpine speakers - they are amazing.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I will definitely look at Crutchfield and see if I can do the installation myself. Yep, I'm pretty fed up with not having a decent sound system in my old tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out crutchfield.com as a guide / purchase as they have a good reference of what fits, what adapters, connectors and trim plates may be needed for a successful diy project. Of course some veteran radio installers might chime in with their experience too. Post up what you decide as other Piloteers may have similar plans.
Thanks a lot. Yup, I will report back to the group with my results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds great. Did you buy your stuff from Crutchfield?
Thanks for your suggestions.
No problem!
I think I bought everything off of Amazon, possibly eBay as well. Installed a backup camera at the same time with wireless transmitter/receiver, in addition the SWI-RC had been sitting around for a couple years so can't keep it all straight lol Crutchfield prices aren't very competitive, maybe they charge a premium for their service if someone has questions but I find a quick Google search answers mine for free :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
If shopping at Crutchfield, make sure to put in your car model and go by "what fits my car". This way, when you add stuff to shopping cart, they will automatically add free needed installation accessories - and when you do order, they email you a pdf with instructions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a Crux SWRHN-62D but the channel change button works like I search button rather than toggling through the channel presets. @ChocoTaco73 Does the Pac-Audio SWI-RC do the same?

Metra 95-7861 worked perfect
I'm sure that's one of the options, there are so many steering wheel control presets you can program, though it's a bit of a pain. Out of the box the CH button was programmed for mute and Mode changes the input, which was fine with me. I used the same PAC model for a 2014 Civic I had, worked great. Also used different models for an '04 Silverado and the wife's 2012 Sonata. I thought about trying something new for the Pilot but I found the SWI-RC rummaging through a box in the garage so that sealed the deal lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts