Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 2011 Pilot ELX with about 65000 miles on it. From day one it has had some odd "graphics" on the small lower screen with the radio and climate information. I thought it might be some kind of information but looking closer it looks like garbage. I bought the car through a car finder so I don't know who the original owners were.
I'm hoping there may be a way to reset the display to clean it. Disconnecting the battery did not do it.
Here is a picture, the junk is between the temperature and the fan speed info. Anybody have any idea what this is and if there is a fix? It does not seem to effect anything, just looks bad.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It might be from a poor electrical connection on the rear side of the display. If you can remove the display and reseat the connector that might do it. But I’m guessing the pixels on the screen have gone bad and it’s something you’ll have to live with or replace.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is the old LCD type screen where you have a twisted nematic (TN) liquid crystal layer sandwiched between two transparent electrodes and two orthogonal polarizers, in front of a backlight. Where inactive, blacklight is blocked by polarizers. Under current, crystal twists, enabling light to pass. What happened here, most likely one of these polarizing layers was damaged, allowing permanent light passage. Your best bet is to replace the screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the old LCD type screen where you have a twisted nematic (TN) liquid crystal layer sandwiched between two transparent electrodes and two orthogonal polarizers, in front of a backlight. Where inactive, blacklight is blocked by polarizers. Under current, crystal twists, enabling light to pass. What happened here, most likely one of these polarizing layers was damaged, allowing permanent light passage. Your best bet is to replace the screen.
Thanks Great information. Does anybody know if this is easily done?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok, that small screen appears to be a part of the audio unit, don't think you can get it separate. But swapping in just the screen module should be quite straightforward.

This listing seems to be what you need. Unit itself looks rather beat up, but the display module appears to be fine.

Putting it in, going by what I know from 2013 Pilot - which seems to have a similar dash.

Disconnecting battery negative is a good idea.
Make sure the car is on flat surface and parking brake is engaged. Putting something against wheels to prevent movement might be a good idea.
Pry out the small plastic insert under the shift lever. Then insert a flat screwdriver in the hole to depress the lever lock tab. Now you can move shift lever into lowermost position.
Pry off the panels on both sides of audio unit. Best done using something like a plastic putty knife to prevent scratches. They should come off fairly easily. Disconnect any connectors.
You should now be able to access the screws holding the audio unit. Magnetic screwdriver is highly recommended here.
Get the audio unit out disconnecting it from any connectors. All connectors have some sort of locking tab, so be careful.

Now you can take the unit home and swap in the screen module.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Scorrpio, Thanks for researching that. I might just try this. My hesitancy comes at "swapping the screen module should be quite straight forward". With my luck these things are never straight forward! :oops:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Make sure the unit on ebay looks like yours before you order it. The real bulletproof way would be to extract the audio unit from your Pilot and check the model number. But if the faceplate looks identical, it's a 99% sure match.

Looks like the piece on top that houses the screen is held together by a few screws, and maybe a few plastic tabs. Practice disassembly on the unit you get from ebay. The screen module itself i likely retained by a few screws and connected to the main unit with a ribbon cable. Or could be a ribbon data cable plus a separate one for the backlight. Also possible that display module is inside a metal housing held by a few retaining tabs - should be easy to snap open.

I also see this listing, even cheaper,
But the one I linked before actually shows the screen working and not having the defects. So it is your call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea about practicing on the the one from ebay. I often break a tab or something when I take something unknown apart for the first time. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts