Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Pilot with 204000 miles. In the past year, I've have 2 radiators that have gone bad. The mechanic that replaced them eventually did additional testing and said I have a bad head gasket and it is causing too much pressure in the radiator and that's why they're going bad. I went to a Honda dealer for a second opinion a month ago and they didn't see any indication of a bad head gasket, but now my radiator is leaking again (3rd one in the past 9 months). Anyone with any suggestion on what might be the issue? Does a head gasket make sense? My vehicle has not overheated at all, but have notice coolant sprayed around under the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
312 Posts
Technically, the radiator cap is the safety valve and should prevent the radiator from being damaged when the system pressure gets to high. I always change the cap when I change the radiator. Did they use a new cap both times they installed a new radiator or are they just reusing the old cap.

If it does not have a new cap, I would begin by putting a cap on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technically, the radiator cap is the safety valve and should prevent the radiator from being damaged when the system pressure gets to high. I always change the cap when I change the radiator. Did they use a new cap both times they installed a new radiator or are they just reusing the old cap.

If it does not have a new cap, I would begin by putting a cap on it.
I'm fairly certain they did at least the first time. I should have made a mark on it or something to know for sure. I looked at the paperwork and at least I was charged for a new one, which of course doesn't guarantee it actually was new.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
For these radiators, where are they leaking from?

As for replacements I'd recommend Denso or CSF. What brand radiator is currently in there?

·
Read Only
293 Posts
If your radiator is empty when you're opening the cap, then the car is either burning or pushing the fluid out of the radiator into the overflow, and it's not coming back in. This is a tell tale sign that you probably have some air getting into the cooling system somewhere. Fill the radiator up, put a bleed funnel on it, and then rev the car up by tapping the gas up to about 2-3k rpm - if it's shooting coolant from the start, you have a blown head gasket. If it stays calm, you're good. I just went through this with my pilot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For these radiators, where are they leaking from?

As for replacements I'd recommend Denso or CSF. What brand radiator is currently in there?
Unfortunately I never asked which brand or where it was leaking from. I ran to autozone tonight and picked up a new cap and they also suggested replacing the hose that returns coolant back to the reservoir since that seemed loose. I guess I’ll start with those and hope for the best. They thought it would be strange if the radiator itself was bad after 1 month.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
...........have notice coolant sprayed around under the hood.
Have you gotten your flashlight and done a good look around?

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Unfortunately I never asked which brand or where it was leaking from. I ran to autozone tonight and picked up a new cap and they also suggested replacing the hose that returns coolant back to the reservoir since that seemed loose. I guess I’ll start with those and hope for the best. They thought it would be strange if the radiator itself was bad after 1 month.
Also check that the hose on the inside of the overflow bottle is intact and not blocked, although if that's the case the radiator level goes down, but the overflow bottle level goes up, since the fluid isn't getting sucked back up.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Also check that the hose on the inside of the overflow bottle is intact and not blocked, although if that's the case the radiator level goes down, but the overflow bottle level goes up, since the fluid isn't getting sucked back up.
Isn't that a 2 way hose though? When it expands it goes into the overflow, and when it cools and contracts- sucks some back in ?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes, it is a 2 way non-pressurized hose that must extend to the very bottom of the bottle to function properly. There can be no leaks/cracks anywhere in the tube inside the bottle and no leaks/cracks in the tube between the bottle cap and radiator cap.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Isn't that a 2 way hose though? When it expands it goes into the overflow, and when it cools and contracts- sucks some back in ?
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Only if the 2 valves and 3 sealing surfaces within the radiator cap are all functioning correctly together.

Some Hondas use a pressurized bottle.....those are a little different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts