Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just finished the install of my svcm. Verified temp stops at 165.2 or something like that.
But I also noticed the fans wouldn't turn on unless I turned on the a/c.
Is this normal?
Is it possible that the pcm is reading 165.2 . And therefore it will never turn the fans on???

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
I just received mine yesterday and wanted to install it today. But I am afraid to since my daughter is borrowing the car for a long drive this long weekend and I am afraid it might fail on her. It looked like a straight forward install.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just yesterday I tried a simple experiment with our 2017 Ridgeline. A/C off, sitting in the driveway idling, 96F ambient....efans came on low speed at 204F CT1, cycled off after about a minute of running and CT1 dropped to mid/upper 190s, efans cycled back on after about 5-6 minutes more idling and CT1 again at 204F. I'm not using a VCM deactivation device.

Factory temp gauge stopped rising at +/-160F actual coolant temp and the needle never budged any higher, even when coolant had reached 204F.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just yesterday I tried a simple experiment with our 2017 Ridgeline. A/C off, sitting in the driveway idling, 96F ambient....efans came on low speed at 204F CT1, cycled off after about a minute of running and CT1 dropped to mid/upper 190s, efans cycled back on after about 5-6 minutes more idling and CT1 again at 204F. I'm not using a VCM deactivation device.

Factory temp gauge stopped rising at +/-160F actual coolant temp and the needle never budged any higher, even when coolant had reached 204F.
Sounds like mine runs the same cycle. doesn’t look like it was affected by the svcm. That’s good to know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just received mine yesterday and wanted to install it today. But I am afraid to since my daughter is borrowing the car for a long drive this long weekend and I am afraid it might fail on her. It looked like a straight forward install.
Yeah install was pretty straight forward. I still have to try it out tomorrow but so far so good.

·
Registered
840 Posts
How do you tell if VCM is off?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
How do you tell if VCM is off?
On the 3rd Gen it's difficult. I just know it's working when my Torque Pro shows my engine temp at 165.2 with S-VCM.
Should be more responsive when you hit the gas.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
Yeah install was pretty straight forward. I still have to try it out tomorrow but so far so good.
Since I have time today and have to run aome errands tomorrow, I decided to install it now.
Engine running for an hour and the gauge is less than half way and fan is not turning on.:confused::eek:
AC is off too. I am getting paranoid too LOL

·
Registered
840 Posts
Since I have time today and have to run aome errands tomorrow, I decided to install it now.
Engine running for an hour and the gauge is less than half way and fan is not turning on.:confused::eek:
AC is off too. I am getting paranoid too LOL
If the vehicle is moving (air flow thru that very efficient radiator), it's doubtful the efans will turn on. Were you idling, not moving for an hour? Do you stop, pop the hood, get out and look at the efans?......I can not hear them, when on low speed, from inside the cab (A/C on) even when I pull into the garage. When they switch to HI speed, you can definitely hear them.

I'm pretty sure efan HI speed is triggered by A/C refrigerant pressure, not engine coolant temp.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Don't know/not sure. I've seen VCM mometarily turn "ON" as low as 28-30 mph around town, very light/steady pedal. Off or on pedal ever so slightly, VCM will turn off. 99.9% of my driving is around town.....unless I'm paying close attention to the ScanGauge, I can not feel/sense/tell when VCM is on/off at all.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
My fan won't come on unless the A/C is on. I have VCM muzzler installed since September of last year. Not really sure how to trouble shoot this.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
My fan won't come on unless the A/C is on. I have VCM muzzler installed since September of last year. Not really sure how to trouble shoot this.
Just know it's not the VCM Muzzler.
I usually direct wire from the fan's electrical clip to a 12vt battery to test. If they come on that way, then go looking for a bad relay. In your case, a relay.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
840 Posts
If your a/c is off, efans will not turn on until engine coolant reaches 204F. Efans turn on mostly due to a/c refrigerant pressures. If the vehicle IS moving, your engine coolant temp probably will not reach 204F due to sufficient airflow thru the radiator. What are your ambient temps?......devils in the details. In my experiment, it took a while, sitting in the driveway idling, no airflow thru the radiator, a/c off, to get coolant up to 204F in 96F ambient.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
If your a/c is off, efans will not turn on until engine coolant reaches 204F. Efans turn on mostly due to a/c refrigerant pressures. If the vehicle IS moving, your engine coolant temp probably will not reach 204F due to sufficient airflow thru the radiator. What are your ambient temps?......devils in the details. In my experiment, it took a while, sitting in the driveway idling, no airflow thru the radiator, a/c off, to get coolant up to 204F.
Correct.
I guess I shouldn't rule out a bad temp sensor as a possible problem. With the VCM Muzzler removed, you can see if that's working or not. Otherwise, locate fan relays. Can switch them around to test or use a YouTube video to learn how to test with a 9vt battery.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I know on my 2012, there is one 15A fuse that needs to be checked. Not sure on your year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts